Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

.Kovu. wrote: »
    I know nothing about Salers:eek:

Our best breeders would have a mongrel breeding of Simmental/Br FR and about 1/2 or 3/4 Lim with that.

Likewise, My father bought a Simmental bull back in the early 90's who bred some good stock, since that he'd Charolais.
    He's cows 3 generation CH which are breeding good stock, which all stems from that Simmental bull.
    A good foundation means allot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭Robson99

Always found a good well bred limousine cow crossed with a blue or charloais bull gave a great animal to fatten

• Registered Users Posts: 24,438 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I know nothing about Salers:eek:

Our best breeders would have a mongrel breeding of Simmental/Br FR and about 1/2 or 3/4 Lim with that.

Stay away from salers. Bad experiences with them cows

Reggie. wrote: »

Ah now Reggie, thought you were a hardened Army man that was afraid of nothing!
    The 1 we have is tame, but up til 3yo (5 now) would be liable for a kick

Farrell wrote: »
    Ah now Reggie, thought you were a hardened Army man that was afraid of nothing!
    The 1 we have is tame, but up til 3yo (5 now) would be liable for a kick

We did B&B for a few years and one calved in the slats one time out of the blue. Couldn't get near pen for 3 days with her. Finally got the calf out once and she nearly took the barrier off the pillars so we had to put the calf back in to the pen

Rang the owner to collect her. When he arrived I was telling him about the "experience" we had with her and he said that was the norm for salers. Apparently I was lucky she didn't bite me I was told as they have a habit of doing that too. She wasn't even a springer. When she was brought back to her home farm she abandoned the calf for 2 days

Never had one in the place since

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I've been told they have an aggressive nature alright but biting?! That would go against any natural instinct a cow has Reggie.
    Whatever about kicking you or charging at you.....any animal who with only a single row of teeth in the front of their mouths are very unlikely to bite in defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭cristeoir

I've been told they have an aggressive nature alright but biting?! That would go against any natural instinct a cow has Reggie.
    Whatever about kicking you or charging at you.....any animal who with only a single row of teeth in the front of their mouths are very unlikely to bite in defense.

So what about a dog then Kovu;)

cristeoir wrote: »
    So what about a dog then Kovu;)

Dogs have top teeth.....

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭cristeoir

Sorry I picked you up wrong:o but won't sows bite and horses aswell or so I'm told.Anyway I'd put nothing past them loopers of salers.

cristeoir wrote: »
    Sorry I picked you up wrong:o but won't sows bite and horses aswell or so I'm told.

I have no idea of a pigs dental anatomy I'm afraid but a horse definitely has front incisors to nip as I've been on the receiving end often enough!:pac:

• Advertisement

I have no idea of a pigs dental anatomy I'm afraid but a horse definitely has front incisors to nip as I've been on the receiving end often enough!:pac:

The owner claims it's a common occurrence for a Saler to bite like a horse. I'm only going from word of mouth but I wouldn't be surprised with what I witnessed

The owner claims it's a common occurrence for a Saler to bite like a horse. I'm only going from word of mouth but I wouldn't be surprised with what I witnessed

Heh heh heh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Ooooh, nice. She came out with lovely hair on. I'd also be the lunatic putting blue on her to breed the blonde legs out.

Because nobody loves hardship like a Kovu:pac:

Ive a white sister ( A charolais) to her calving in spring and will see how she is for milk as unsure about how much milk a KCE heifer would have.. wont lose on her anyway as saleable anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Walked through field of saler x cows all quiet. Nice orange calves of ch bull too. Great wide hips and lots of milk.

Saying that I've seen stone mad ones two

Walked through field of saler x cows all quiet. Nice orange calves of ch bull too. Great wide hips and lots of milk.

Saying that I've seen stone mad ones two

Its like everything I suppose

Locked GC, try again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Locked GC, try again :pac:

I'd a few small bottles but hardly locked:P

Bodacious wrote: »
    Ive a white sister ( A charolais) to her calving in spring and will see how she is for milk as unsure about how much milk a KCE heifer would have.. wont lose on her anyway as saleable anytime.

My 2 blondes!

photo_zps58dfe2df.jpg

photo_zpsb6fdee3e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

My 2 blondes!

Lovely heifers Bod

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Lovely heifers Bod

Cheers robin,

Would hope to be crossing back to the Charolais down the road, they leggy enough anyway and hope they bring enough milk from their dams side as not sure what the BA breed brings to the table milk wise !

• Advertisement

25f4to4.jpg
    16 Mth old Ba heifer out of a BaX cow.

jtmck9.jpg
    KFY Simm heifer out of a PB Ch cow calving next spring to Lim YSM.

105zbe0.jpg
    Ch X Ba weanling heifer.

2rhbpzn.jpg
    2 Calves a week old or so. Red by Dubai THZ, black by Equalizer FZM.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jd06

25f4to4.jpg
    16 Mth old Ba heifer out of a BaX cow.

jtmck9.jpg
    KFY Simm heifer out of a PB Ch cow calving next spring to Lim YSM.

105zbe0.jpg
    Ch X Ba weanling heifer.

2rhbpzn.jpg
    2 Calves a week old or so. Red by Dubai THZ, black by Equalizer FZM.

are they both eurogene bulls? lovely stock

jd06 wrote: »

We use Eurogene. The bull we use most is probably ABI. He breeds super stuff for us. Equalizer is good too, but not easy calved. We weren't happy that they had a very easy calving Lim for very beefy heifers so bought straws of Dubai THZ for that job. They have since got Suc au may YSM, so we've tried him.

We use Eurogene. The bull we use most is probably ABI. He breeds super stuff for us. Equalizer is good too, but not easy calved. We weren't happy that they had a very easy calving Lim for very beefy heifers so bought straws of Dubai THZ for that job. They have since got Suc au may YSM, so we've tried him.

FZM does bring good stock, had you much trouble with that calf?
    Use Eurogene here too, ODZ seams easy calved & turns out good enough (FIL has 1 off a first calving AAX).
    Was a fan of UBY, easy calved & nice stock to sell as weanlings.
    Do you use any of the CH or BB?

Farrell wrote: »
    FZM does bring good stock, had you much trouble with that calf?
    Use Eurogene here too, ODZ seams easy calved & turns out good enough (FIL has 1 off a first calving AAX).
    Was a fan of UBY, easy calved & nice stock to sell as weanlings.
    Do you use any of the CH or BB?

I'd no trouble at all. I wasn't there, but I'm told it was a big pull on the jack. He's a bear of a calf, woeful thick. She's a powerful tank of a cow though.

We rarely use BB. We run a Ch bull so rarely use any AI Ch except the odd one on the PB Charolais cows.

jd06 wrote: »

Gengis,

great stock what sire/ breeding in the heifer weanling she looks to have great weight to her also

Gengis,

great stock what sire/ breeding in the heifer weanling she looks to have great weight to her also

The white weanling heifer? She's still on the cow, a very stylish calf she is too. Off our old Ch bull who was by Alcazar off a Sylvain cow. The dam of that calf is by the Blonde bull Landais X a Ch cow.
    So the calf is 1/4 Ba 3/4 Ch.
    The heifer in the first pic is out of a Ba cow.
    She'd be 3/4 Ba 1/4 Lim. Her grand dam was a great long Lim cow by Jaguar, who was out of a Ch cow a long time ago.
    Funnily enough I can remember most of them like you'd know a neighbouring family:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Worth a look for suckler farmers....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

[IMG][/img]jackie2_zps145f7abc.jpg

There is a reason why all the heifers in this family are called "Jackie"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

Other years you'd be gone to the axles in that field on October 1st. Strong second crop lifted, a great sign of the year it was :)

EaEkI3Al.png

Advertisement