Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

He needed a kip after a few hours work !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

399478.jpg
    Fgg heifer calf born today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

A nice surprise to get after arriving home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭visatorro

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    A nice surprise to get after arriving home from work.

Fook, doesn't look like you'll get in with a tractor?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Fcuk, how did you manage her after?

• Advertisement

visatorro wrote: »
    Fook, doesn't look like you'll get in with a tractor?!

I eventually managed to coax her out the far side where she could get her footing. There was a neighbour on his way with a JCB but wasn't required in the end. She was almost completely submerged at one stage. Thought she was a goner to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Last calf of the year! zag
    399997.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭sonnybill

sonnybill wrote: »
    Last calf of the year! zag
    399997.jpeg
    Think someone jazzed up my pic so asnot to appear as an attachment..?cheers!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

[QUOTE=sonnybill;Think someone jazzed up my pic so as not to appear as an attachment..?cheers![/QUOTE]

At least we can make some of the people happy some of the time, I don't think we'll ever keep all of the people happy all of the time.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Cattle I sold Tuesday. They were in just for weaning and loading.
    Black bull in photo 1 weighed 390kg off cow
    Black limo heifer in photo 2 was 280kg. She made €530-

Everything off stock bull

400097.JPG

400098.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

[

Nice stock, sadly you didn't get fair play.
    Took similar hiding in Autumn 2014.
    Problem with selling late is cattle have been in mart all day & have a strong chance of pneumonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,588 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

166ixc3.jpg

e0mp7l.jpg
    23kvqdj.jpg

Grass is near gone, these girls need to be housed soon or preferably sold, ~18months, ~470kgs (hopefully, really love a scales)

I'm only seeing one photo.
    I know that your proberly sick of hearing it but those cattle were a pure rob at that.
    I know they had to go and you had no say in the matter so all you can do is remember it, learn from it and some day if the same **** is going on you can just load um back up and go again.

If the right lad's aren't there the mart can be a tough day out. I remember this year I had a few at the mart and I sold a few very plain heifers for alright money but they my good heifers started going through. I refused the first 4 and on the fifth (a lovely ch heifer) the bidding was gone so slow I told the auctioneer " we won't force them to buy her if they don't want her. And I withdrew the rest without even passing through the ring. I walked out of the box and around the ring with clowns saying ill give another 10 for her. I just told them I'd wait for a day when the real buyers were in town.
    And that's what I did. One blue was only making 990 the first day made 1290 a month later.
    I had a min increase of €100 a head.

Sometimes you have to be tough.

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    I'm only seeing one photo.
    I know that your proberly sick of hearing it but those cattle were a pure rob at that.
    I know they had to go and you had no say in the matter so all you can do is remember it, learn from it and some day if the same **** is going on you can just load um back up and go again.

If the right lad's aren't there the mart can be a tough day out. I remember this year I had a few at the mart and I sold a few very plain heifers for alright money but they my good heifers started going through. I refused the first 4 and on the fifth (a lovely ch heifer) the bidding was gone so slow I told the auctioneer " we won't force them to buy her if they don't want her. And I withdrew the rest without even passing through the ring. I walked out of the box and around the ring with clowns saying ill give another 10 for her. I just told them I'd wait for a day when the real buyers were in town.
    And that's what I did. One blue was only making 990 the first day made 1290 a month later.
    I had a min increase of €100 a head.

Sometimes you have to be tough.

Yeah I have to improve there. Be abut more assertive at home and in decisions.

I should have entered them for next week and been there during The Halloween break.

I am no judge of weight etc so I'm goin buying a scales and start talking to a few neighbours in the know and try some small improvements in different areas.

Yeah I have to improve there. Be abut more assertive at home and in decisions.

I should have entered them for next week and been there during The Halloween break.

I am no judge of weight etc so I'm goin buying a scales and start talking to a few neighbours in the know and try some small improvements in different areas.

I must get a scales myself at some stage but it would be more for a management point of view rather than selling.
    If you can get your head around how much a kg an animal is worth. This will go up and down abit according to the market. When your animal is entering the ring look at the weight and multiply by what your ppk estimate that'll give you a rough price of what you could expect to sell for.
    Twill come with experience. don't be afraid to get in the box yourself, if you make a mistake then it's your mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

_Brian wrote: »
    166ixc3.jpg

e0mp7l.jpg
    23kvqdj.jpg

Grass is near gone, these girls need to be housed soon or preferably sold, ~18months, ~470kgs (hopefully, really love a scales)

Nice heifers, they were hardly bucket fed?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,588 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

tanko wrote: »
    Nice heifers, they were hardly bucket fed?

No, suckler bred.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Nice heifers _Brian,
    sold my ones like those last week,
    its disheartening to think they won't leave much after them for the year

where will you take them?

I personally think a weighing scales are not needed.borrowed a neighbours a couple of years ago to weigh a cow . was 40 kg lighter the day after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

I personally think a weighing scales are not needed.borrowed a neighbours a couple of years ago to weigh a cow . was 40 kg lighter the day after.

She must have calved that night!☺

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Who2

A cow will drop weight faster than most animals when brought to a mart gut fill alone could show that up.

Who2 wrote: »
    A cow will drop weight faster than most animals when brought to a mart gut fill alone could show that up.

That's what I mean it's unreliable

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

That's what I mean it's unreliable

All ya have to do is remove roughly 40kg to get the "mart" weight

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

400097.JPG

God they were lovely cattle. Now I'm thinking l paid way too much for cattle l bought a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Who2 wrote: »

180litres in the rumen section alone.

Muckit wrote: »
    God they were lovely cattle. Now I'm thinking l paid way too much for cattle l bought a few weeks ago

Did you pay too much or did I get too little? But if both I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

The youngstock today. Best October weather ever.
    2016_10_27_15.jpg

2016_10_27_15.jpg

Future super sire;) PSZ x TIH Will be my stock bull.
    2016_10_27_16.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

Someone's in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Anyone give an estimate of this girlies value? Just noticed kollegeknight ask similar in the chit chat thread so why not :P
    Want to buy her off dad but we're disagreeing in price, as ya do. She's a 5 star pb reg, off CWI, Tarot/Navarin back breeding in dam. I'm about 80% sure she's having a heifer. Quiet enough to scratch and just starting to flag a bit now.

0btG5nGl.jpg

kBgrfVil.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Who2

She's around the 1700 mark presuming she's close on 700 kilos

Advertisement