Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Spotted a weanling with this hole behind the top of his shoulder a few days ago. Nearly an inch deep and round. Any chance it was a warble that caused it? I hadn't take any notice of a lump there before but it could have been there without me noticing. It doesn't seem like a cut to me. Would it want to be stitched aswell because it doesn't seem like it's going to close up itself, there's a big hole in it.

It's like a wound that maggots got into, washing it out with salty water daily might help it heal,
    I had a calf with a cut on his shoulder and thought he was alright until i lifted the scab and he had a hole like that filled with maggots, I got him healed with salty waster daily...... stuff like savlon or dettol actually inhibits healing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

God never seen anything like that before. It's probably awkward for you now to get him handled? Def needs closer inspection, I wouldn't leave it anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

rangler1 wrote: »
    It's like a wound that maggots got into, washing it out with salty water daily might help it heal,
    I had a calf with a cut on his shoulder and thought he was alright until i lifted the scab and he had a hole like that filled with maggots, I got him healed with salty waster daily...... stuff like savlon or dettol actually inhibits healing

Dettol is too severe. Savlon is ok though.
    Use it all the time on calves with bad cases of swelled navals and into the wounds and it heals them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,617 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Had one like that before squirted hydrogen peroxide into it daily with a syringe, also injected with betamox on vets advise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I'll clean it out and disinfect it alright, was wondering more so if I would need to get the vet to stitch it, doesn't look to me like it going to close itself in the near future. It does look like something had been in there but I didn't see any trace of a maggot around it all the same, didn't really think maggots would be a problem this time of year either??

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    God never seen anything like that before. It's probably awkward for you now to get him handled? Def needs closer inspection, I wouldn't leave it anyways

He's quiet enough in fairness, my crush is running the wrong way though surprise surprise :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭Base price

It looks to me like it was an abscess. You can see the track in his coat where it has been oozing for a while and a baldy patch at the bottom where the hair has died off. Could be from licking either.
    I would go with Whelan's suggestion 10% solution of hydrogen peroxide every day for a week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

That's exactly spot on. Don't freak out when the peroxide is foaming up! I'd even inject him 3 times the first two days.its expensive but a shot of metacam is good to draw **** out.
    whelan2 wrote: »
    Had one like that before squirted hydrogen peroxide into it daily with a syringe, also injected with betamox on vets advise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Any cows with a good horn around him? I have seen a how do sumthing like that at a ring feeder before.

Any cows with a good horn around him? I have seen a how do sumthing like that at a ring feeder before.

No nothing with horns there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Would it be a dawk of a blackthorn that caused an absess there?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I'd suggest get your vet to have a look at that, there could be a .22 bullet in there.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Certainly very interesting. But if twas that he'd have a limp surely?

It could be like what others said that he got a jab of blackthorn, got absus and it burst, but would it leave a hole like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Who2

blue5000 wrote: »
    I'd suggest get your vet to have a look at that, there could be a .22 bullet in there.

It mightn't be unlikely, it fox season at the moment and I've seen a lot of clowns shooting rifles high. A friend of mine had to get a real good bull weanling put down after some clown got him with a shot gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Don't know where this is, but he's lucky to be alive. Didn't seem to knock a stir outta him.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I bought a PB registered Lim cow springing to calf afew weeks back for 1500. She's no show stopper but still.

Is she like this one:D:D:D https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/pedigree-limousin-springer-cow/14281435

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Jesus, she looks just like our one that had the scour :o
    I'd be really worried about buying in anything that looks like that, johnes would be a massive red warning light imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

tanko wrote: »
    Who said Salers are wild:pac:

I got a few SAX in Oct., a good price says I.

Often a story that can end in regret but most of them are quite enough, one wildish but can dose her grand.

I was worried about how they would perform but I'm pleased enough about how they are doing.

They were off square enough cows so it helps I guess,

No. Saw that one before. Something not right there, especially with such good grass under her feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No. Saw that one before. Something not right there, especially with such good grass under her feet.

He says a genuine reason for selling.

He genuinely believes that she is fuc*ed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Don't know where this is, but he's lucky to be alive. Didn't seem to knock a stir outta him.

I'd say a bear would have his hands full with that lad. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I'd say a bear would have his hands full with that lad. :-)

Definitely the states with all the timber and the size of him, few extra pounds in him broke the bounce! Lucky man

sonnybill wrote: »
    Definitely the states with all the timber and the size of him, few extra pounds in him broke the bounce! Lucky man
    AA bull too so no horns to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,617 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

AA bull too so no horns to deal with.

Im sure that's the first thing that was going through your mans mind as he was being tossed around !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Spotted a weanling with this hole behind the top of his shoulder a few days ago. Nearly an inch deep and round. Any chance it was a warble that caused it? I hadn't take any notice of a lump there before but it could have been there without me noticing. It doesn't seem like a cut to me. Would it want to be stitched aswell because it doesn't seem like it's going to close up itself, there's a big hole in it.
    How is your weanling LC,
    Another thought struck me - did you worm them lately with a s/c injection. Could be a dirty needle abscess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Ready for cows return

Any one remember these? Says J calf tag on the back.

Back of tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Any one remember these? Says J calf tag on the back.

Before my time anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Yep used to be a Dairygold office near my primary school so often got then after school with the old lad so we could sell the calves.

only 1 tagger between 4 farmers near us so always good fun going finding whose house it was in.

Advertisement