Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Suckler calves aren't buying in to this out wintering crack

405896.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Back of tags.
    are they the old brass tags gone a bit discoloured patsy or a different tag altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 29,617 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

High bike wrote: »
    are they the old brass tags gone a bit discoloured patsy or a different tag altogether
    no they were to be put in calves for some reason, I remember tagging a calf and I stuck the two sides of his ear together, was one of the first calves I ever tagged

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

High bike wrote: »

As Whelan said above, they seem to be for calves only. From 1987 by the looks of them. Found them today during a clean-out.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

As Whelan said above, they seem to be for calves only. From 1987 by the looks of them. Found them today during a clean-out.
    They were Mart tags.
    Calves were tagged on entry to the mart.
    Brass tags were done by the vet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,617 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Farrell wrote: »
    They were Mart tags.
    Calves were tagged on entry to the mart.
    Brass tags were done by the vet

Was there not a scheme also? Must ask my dad later. I remember filling in a sheet/book with the tag numbers that we got in local ai office. We wouldnt have been selling any calves then, think there were tags for test bulls used?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was there not a scheme also? Must ask my dad later. I remember filling in a sheet/book with the tag numbers that we got in local ai office. We wouldnt have been selling any calves then, think there were tags for test bulls used?
    There was a scheme run by the IHFA that had a silver tag with the bulls code printed on the back. I have one at home tagged to a very old body warmer (that I still wear) and will post a pic when I'm back.
    I remember tagging calves with silver tags like patsy's ones and they came on a strip of triangle piece of cardboard with 12 tags on it. The brass tag was put in by the Vet at the annual herd test.
    Edit to add - Cattle in those days had silver tags, brass tags, ear notches and ear punches. It was a wonder they had any ears left.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Any one remember these? Says J calf tag on the back.

Calf subsidy tags, I think it was £22 a head in old punt days. Late 80's alright. The calves' ears would be septic after them, think the aluminium corroded in the ear? Showing our age now:(

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

Finally new calving season started. Very excited, because soon will have a couple heifers calving by our new limo bull we bought last year.
    Photos of the recent calves. 1 day old Limox heifer out of 3/4Char cow and less than 12 hours old Limo bull calf out of 1/4x (Angus, Salers, BB, dairy) cow. Heifer was born ~40-45kgs weight, however bull calf is ~55kgs or so. Both cows calved without assistance.
    15356813_1845397645731244_481304035_n_zpshbxbujpe.jpg
    15967622_1862065107397831_2100098131_o_zpsqkbub4hs.jpg
    15966577_1862065124064496_374371071_o_zpsx4tnsrqa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Just thinking how I saw Poland had -30 and I doubt if Lithuania had any different over the last week.

She'd want to be an easy calver in that conditions.

Do they have a shed they can retreat to.

lovely looking animals.

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »
    Just thinking how I saw Poland had -30 and I doubt if Lithuania had any different over the last week.

She'd want to be an easy calver in that conditions.

Do they have a shed they can retreat to.

lovely looking animals.
    Thanks. Yes, they have a shed where they can be.
    Last week we'd some cold, but luckily not -30 in my place. The lowest temperature was ~ -26 or so at the night. However it was quite extreme, because on last Monday temperature was -6, then in a couple days in went down to -26, stayed for 3 days and now it's -7-8.

They are figures hard to imagine here, especially for letting cattle outdoors.

Yet they are used to it so they take no notice I suppose.

Did you farm in Ireland for a bit Golodge.

Is a shake of ration roughly the same in both? ;0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

They are figures hard to imagine here, especially for letting cattle outdoors.

Yet they are used to it so they take no notice I suppose.

Did you farm in Ireland for a bit Golodge.

Is a shake of ration roughly the same in both? ;0

Cattle would not feel that cold if they had any bit of shelter. Driving/horizontal rain would be much harder on them.

Cattle would not feel that cold if they had any bit of shelter. Driving/horizontal rain would be much harder on them.

Was thinking that, from having been in -20 and finding it much nicer than -2 here.

I was wondering if it would wear them down eventually, would they burn feed just standing still in that.

Isn't it hard to imagine how fast driving rain can wash condition off a finishing animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Was thinking that, from having been in -20 and finding it much nicer than -2 here.

I was wondering if it would wear them down eventually, would they burn feed just standing still in that.

Isn't it hard to imagine how fast driving rain can wash condition off a finishing animal.

A little extra feed is all it would be. Cattle would be way more stressed/unsettled if it was wet.

We keep weaned calves in barn. All other cattle( cows, breeding heifers, herd bull, nursing calves) spend winter outside. Have been doing that for ~6 years. Had much colder winters, with temperature lower than -25 for a week or longer, sometimes lower than -30. Cows get as much hay as they want. They usually spend more time in the shed if weather is bad, like snow storm, wet snow, or very strong wind. Had no health problems so far. Cows loose abit of condition during winter if they have a calf by their side, but they put on weight quickly once grazing season starts.

Base price wrote: »
    There was a scheme run by the IHFA that had a silver tag with the bulls code printed on the back. I have one at home tagged to a very old body warmer (that I still wear) and will post a pic when I'm back.
    I remember tagging calves with silver tags like patsy's ones and they came on a strip of triangle piece of cardboard with 12 tags on it. The brass tag was put in by the Vet at the annual herd test.
    Edit to add - Cattle in those days had silver tags, brass tags, ear notches and ear punches. It was a wonder they had any ears left.
    I think I was wrong when I said that the scheme was run by the IHFA. It was probably run by the various Milk Boards around the country.
    LDT - Leading Star (100% FR/HO) I presume is related to Starbuck (HHK) in his back breeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I said I'd be nice to them with the snow coming :D the yellow heifer and black bull to the right of her were both reared by one black whitehead cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

They are in super condition although l'd say you carry something on your back every time you come in the gate and you probably go back to jeep a second time!??

I said I'd be nice to them with the snow coming :D the yellow heifer and black bull to the right of her were both reared by one black whitehead cow.
    How's the weanling with the sore on his shoulder. Did you find out what caused the wound?

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    They are in super condition although l'd say you carry something on your back every time you come in the gate and you probably go back to jeep a second time!??

2 bags up on the shoulder, no going back for a second trip ;)

Base price wrote: »
    How's the weanling with the sore on his shoulder. Did you find out what caused the wound?

I haven't a clue what caused it, cleaned around it and it looks to be closing up. He's none the worse for wear after it anyway.

Have one here with an abscess. She's not limping with it and foddering away. Will it drain itself?

Had one get one onfront shoulder during summer. It went down by itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Muckit wrote: »
    Have one here with an abscess. She's not limping with it and foddering away. Will it drain itself?

Had one get one onfront shoulder during summer. It went down by itself.

It can be a bruise either like what you'd get yourself from a hurt.
    Could be congealed blood in that lump and it gets reabsorbed back into the body,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

rangler1 wrote: »
    It can be a bruise either like what you'd get yourself from a hurt.
    Could be congealed blood in that lump and it gets reabsorbed back into the body,

I had one that haday a lump on its side. Left it in the crush for about an hour and the rubbing off the bar massaged it down and for the fluid to get absorbed

Yes and you are probably right Rangler1. Looking online and sure you know yourself worse thing you could do as be making thing out to be worse than it really is! Sure first I went oh sh*t was she in calf and throwing it! :eek:

I have it spotted now and will observe closely. Probably if twas septic she would be off form, which she is not. Only for I went into back of pen I wouldn't have it spotted at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If the vet here sees those he'd normally Lance it under local anesthetic to make sure everything comes out. But he would also give a course of antibiotics as well. Have had a few and they may break out or go away. If not bothering the animal would leave it for a bit and see if it gets better or worse first

A few more weanling heifers.

Savage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

A few more weanling heifers.
    Aren't they 10 Times better off out than stuck in a shed.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Advertisement