Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny v Tipp, SHC Final Replay, Sat 27/09 @ 5pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

What is the story with fitness level standards with refs? Do they have to reach a certain standard every year, because that man is two stone overweight and that's being generous. What are the guidelines?? If any

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Because they anticipate it to be fair. Our forwards just dont work in the same sync as theirs. To give you a better indication of the work rate between the two have a look at the stats and in particular 'hooks, blocks, and tackles'. That's the difference. I have always felt that Sheedy placed better emphasis on this side of the game whereas Eamon O'Shea never really did

ByjrsqFIcAA9_fp.jpg

IMO KK lead on that stat out of pure necessity. Tipp play a short passing game. KK had to chase them down as they did in the drawn game. There was no difference in work rate between the two.

jacko wrote: »
    not sure what you're trying to imply here. if its that kk are aware of what they can and cant do based on who the ref is then, its the same ref for both teams so, its a level playing field

They get the 'hop' of the ball because they read the breaking ball better and they work harder. Pretty simple

Why not a Munster referee today ?

Whatever credibility you could have with your post ye lost it early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

citykat wrote: »
    Whatever credibility you could have with your post ye lost it early.

Its a valid point .
    The last 7 finals have been reffed by referees from Offaly or West Meath ,hardly hurling strongholds.
    Why is that the case ?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jacko

They get the 'hop' of the ball because they read the breaking ball better and they work harder. Pretty simple

oh, my bad, didn't pick up that. but yea i agree. they read these things better than most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

letowski wrote: »
    Well done to Kilkenny today, hope ye enjoy the next few days, a deserved win.

I think the backs showed great character today, in winning the game after the score they conceded the last time out. They are the template for every county on how to defend, as a unit. The Fennelly bros as well showed they're class too as they had relatively quiet games the last day. It's kinda funny, with Cody bemoaning the 3 week lay-off during the week, as it worked perfectly for him. Tipp were buzzing 3 weeks ago, but the lay-off gave Cody time to study and reassess his plan, not to mention make 3 huge changes that worked a dream. This is Cody's 10th All Ireland and in fairness he showed why he is the most successful manager in hurling.

I know it's easy to say it now, that Tipp went from scoring 1-28 to 2-14, but I really found the way Tipp attacked strange. last time, it was their movement and distribution that caused the KK backs all sorts of problems. Today, they were really poor in their use of ball. Anybody, from the expertsto people who barley know the game, knows that KK's main strength for years has been under the high ball. Yet Tipp continued to hit in hign ball into congested areas, a type of ball (Bonnar apart) they dont have the forwards to win. KK's workrate and intensity was higher today admittedly.

I think one of the reasons why Tipp's scoring was down so much was that today the Kilkenny forwards played much better, and in particular closed down the Tipp backs far better and quicker than the last day, and Kilkenny won the midfield battle. As a result the Tipp backs and midfielders couldn't deliver the quality ball the Tipp forwards thrive on, they were under so much pressure they just had to clear it and they could only clear it high, which suited Kilkenny.

The other reason is Bonnar Maher was not 100% fit in my opinion, and if he's not winning the ball and closing down and winning the dirty ball, he doesn't get off those pop passes to someone in space to knock it over.

Also thought Kilkenny played better ball today that suited their forwards better, especially in the second half, which cut down Tipp possession.

randd1 wrote: »
    I think one of the reasons why Tipp's scoring was down so much was that today the Kilkenny forwards played much better, and in particular closed down the Tipp backs far better and quicker than the last day, and Kilkenny won the midfield battle. As a result the Tipp backs and midfielders couldn't deliver the quality ball the Tipp forwards thrive on, they were under so much pressure they just had to clear it and they could only clear it high, which suited Kilkenny.

The other reason is Bonnar Maher was not 100% fit in my opinion, and if he's not winning the ball and closing down and winning the dirty ball, he doesn't get off those pop passes to someone in space to knock it over.

Also thought Kilkenny played better ball today that suited their forwards better, especially in the second half, which cut down Tipp possession.

Have to disagree Randd. KK backs were awesome today. P Walsh and Joyce motm candidates. Buckley and JJ close second.

Its a valid point .
    The last 7 finals have been reffed by referees from Offaly or West Meath ,hardly hurling strongholds.
    Why is that the case ?

Ah your point isn't valid at all. Inter county referees are on a panel and ref league and champ games. That's where they learn they trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jacko

Have to disagree Randd. KK backs were awesome today. P Walsh and Joyce motm candidates. Buckley and JJ close second.

combination of the backs closing down the tipp fwds so well and also the kk fwds working hard in blocking down the tipp defence and giving them no time to clear. al in all a great all round display

Ah your point isn't valid at all. Inter county referees are on a panel and ref league and champ games. That's where they learn they trade.

Rubbish .
    The referee for the All Ireland football final is almost never from the competing provinces .

Obviously its a bit more difficult in hurling but its a bit ridiculous that its nearly always a midlands referee for the hurling final .
    I do not see any reason why it couldnt have been a Munster referee today ,it was a Leinster ref the last day and one from a hurling backwater.

Rubbish .
    The referee for the All Ireland football final is almost never from the competing provinces .

Obviously its a bit more difficult in hurling but its a bit ridiculous that its nearly always a midlands referee for the hurling final .
    I do not see any reason why it couldnt have been a Munster referee today ,it was a Leinster ref the last day and one from a hurling backwater.

Do you really think the referee lost the game for Tipp today?

Do you really think the referee lost the game for Tipp today?

I didnt say that .
    I just find it bizarre that its always a Midlands referee lately ,maybe its something to do with the GAA president being from Laois.

As a referee he was poor .
    He let far too much foul play go .
    Deliberate playing of the hurley,the flaking and belting across an opponent’s elbow/arm when on a solo run; holding the opponents hurley with the spare hand ,slapping of an opponents hand when holding the sliotar, pinning one of your opponents’ arms down by his side,hurley and arm around the neck ,pulling ,grabbing,barging etc etc .
    Things that are considered "small" fouls are simply not being blown,but these small fouls add up .
    However if a ref started blowing all these frees the game would be awful as it would simply be constant frees.

Referees are making their own rules at the moment. Players need to know that every game will be played under the same set of rules.
    Simple things can be done that don't reduce the ‘manliness’ of the game but make it fairer.

I didnt say that .
    I just find it bizarre that its always a Midlands referee lately ,maybe its something to do with the GAA president being from Laois.

As a referee he was poor .
    He let far too much foul play go .
    Deliberate playing of the hurley,the flaking and belting across an opponent’s elbow/arm when on a solo run; holding the opponents hurley with the spare hand ,slapping of an opponents hand when holding the sliotar, pinning one of your opponents’ arms down by his side,hurley and arm around the neck ,pulling ,grabbing,barging etc etc .
    Things that are considered "small" fouls are simply not being blown,but these small fouls add up .
    However if a ref started blowing all these frees the game would be awful as it would simply be constant frees.

Referees are making their own rules at the moment. Players need to know that every game will be played under the same set of rules.
    Simple things can be done that don't reduce the ‘manliness’ of the game but make it fairer.

There's so much in your post I don't agree with it I don't know where to start. One question. Have you ever seen a match from the 70s?

There's so much in your post I don't agree with it I don't know where to start. One question. Have you ever seen a match from the 70s?

I wouldn't expect you to agree with me ,you are a staunch Kilkenny fan and can see no wrongs with their play ,all of the fouls I listed are just manliness in your opinion I guess ?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't expect you to agree with me ,you are a staunch Kilkenny fan and can see no wrongs with their play ,all of the fouls I listed are just manliness in your opinion I guess ?

I'm sure the GAA will take note of your concerns and act accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

You'd have the match blown up after every puck out so. Refs that leave a little go and let the game flow are welcome in my books , as long as they are consistent to both teams.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm far from a hurling expert, but did Tipp leave good few points out there in the first half when they kept trying to go for goals? Surely at that stage taking your points is better and leave the shots on goal for when there's no chance of you being hooked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

awec wrote: »
    I'm far from a hurling expert, but did Tipp leave good few points out there in the first half when they kept trying to go for goals? Surely at that stage taking your points is better and leave the shots on goal for when there's no chance of you being hooked?

There were at least 3 times in the first half where they were greedy and went for a goal , taking a point might've been a wiser option in the long run .

Unlikely ,as it seems what Cody wants ,Cody gets from the GAA.

If the refs clamped down on persistent fouling by giving frees,teams wouldn't take long to clean up their act and clean up the game.
    But Cody unduly influences them with his annual deluded rant that the GAA are trying to take genuine physicality out of the game.
    You'd have the match blown up after every puck out so. Refs that leave a little go and let the game flow are welcome in my books , as long as they are consistent to both teams.

Did you see where I said
    However if a ref started blowing all these frees the game would be awful as it would simply be constant frees

Gavin left alot go today not a little ,it was as if he had lost his whistle for large spells,it was almost a free for all at times.
    Just because it's a contact sport does not entitle it to be a free for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 The growler

I agree in so far as there's no point arguing about the referee. The better team won and the ref didn't decide it. I'm a tipp fan and I can congratulate Kilkenny on their victory, while at the same time being proud of Tipp's effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Fair play to Kilkenny. Fantastic champions. I thought all year their defence wouldn't hold out but they managed in. This All-Ireland was one for pure doggedness particularly in the Limerick game. Tipp were a huge disappointment in the 2nd half, thought it was there for them to push on after half time but to not score in the first 11 or 12 minutes of the 2nd half was a disaster for them. They kept in touch but never looked like winning it after that. When you consider the reverence Kerry are held in with 8 All-Irelands in football, it shows what Kilkenny have achieved in Cody's time in charge.

In all honesty, while the 1st day of the final was very good and the intensity in the first half today was good, it was one of the poorest championships in recent history in my opinion. You could count the good games on one hand. Not that Kilkenny will care.

Having said that, next year is shaping up to be interesting. There is no unbeatable team but the contenders are still probably limited to 3 or 4 teams. Clare will be back I'd imagine. How many of the Kilkenny lads will call a halt after this? Hurling is Cody's life but will he come back for more? Either way I'm sure Kilkenny will be in the mix again. Tipp will look to build from this year. Its been a very strange year for them but if they had lost to Galway in Thurles in early July what would they be looking at now, by getting this far they have proven they are good enough if they can produce more consistent displays. One point worth nothing though is that with the drawn final of the last 2 years, the 4 teams didn't really make much of an impact the following year. Other teams will have a major headstart on Kilkenny and Tipp.

Will Limerick be back again? I have my doubts. Was the collapse against Tipp just a bad day at the office for Cork or signs of deeper problems? Next year will be Jimmy Barry Murphy's 4th year in charge, has he got out of them as much as anyone will? Will Wexford build on the positives from this year. Galway and Dublin have mixed the good and the bad in recent years. Wouldn't really fancy either team to do much at this stage. Waterford haven't been a million miles away the last few years, one championship win could get them moving with some good young players in their side. Could Laois take a scalp in 2014?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 weazeld1

O Shea to blame if you ask me no change in tactics at all, keep lumping up to Kilkenny half back line, cos that'll work, never a short puck out with the option to run .Anyone could see the last day that this is how they could win the game. I think if Cody managed tipp things would be different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

awec wrote: »

Yes they did, in both halves. Did the same in the first game as well. Poor decision making.

Ultimately, if Bonnar Maher gets marked out of the game, Tipp won't win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

Enjoyed Cody's interview post-match...

"There's no end to their spirit. Because people spoke a bit about our spirit during the week... they got it very,very wrong because there's no end to it...

"Well, you see, gambles don't come into it because they're not gambles - they're decisions that you take... people question all sorts of things that we do and don't do, and we just carry on and do what we want to do ourselves...

"People have this obsession about settled teams, as if you're not supposed to do things. We can do what we want to do because we're in charge of the team..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Must say I thought overall it was a relatively poor game, great intensity but generally I thought the standard wasn't a patch on the last day, a lot of poor first touch and striking on both sides.

I thought Brian Gavin was a joke but wouldn't think he was biased either way or anything, he virtually let it turn into a free for all at times. Didn't control it at all and no matter what anyone says historically that style of reffing does tend to suit Kilkenny.

But, they're an awesome team and deserved the win yesterday. They haven't the awesome scoring power they had in the late 00's but they're now built upon a great defence and sheer hard work throughout the team.

Thought the tipp forwards were poor yesterday but by the same token a lot of the ball they got was terrible and difficult to do anything with, as others have noted they are reliant on Bonnar and he wasn't at his best yesterday.

The winning and losing of that game was the 15 minutes after half time, I thought Kilkenny were superb in this period after tipp had been the better side in the first half (should have gone in further in front). Eamon o'shea's teams always hunt for goals and in 2010 they got them and won but yesterday they didn't in that first half and that cost them the game aswell as being off the pace at the start of the second half.

So ultimately the better team won but as fergie once said of Liverpool, they have to be knocked off that perch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Kk under Cody will never go more than a year or two without winning an all Ireland.
    The hurling landscape will not change until that man retires no matter how many under 21 titles Clare win or how much the likes of Limerick and Tipp improve.
    It doesn't even matter who he has playing for him all he needs is lads who can hurl in the prime of their careers.
    He has transitioned the entire team without any drop in success .
    The one constant is Cody.
    If you beat him he will go way and figure it out and come back and beat you.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

Mister Anarchy, it's begrudgers like you and the anti-kilkenny media campaign that feeds the desire of these guys to come back with that hunger you saw yesterday. Those lads were hurt by the delight that was showed last year when they were knocked out.
    That article which was posted about how the hurling was nicer without those nasty kilkenny guys, oh that made sure a few of them didn't hang up the boots, so keep it going please because you are only tickling the tiger and the tiger will keep gobbling you up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Very sporting of you TG. However, there was only 2 pts in it at 69 mins. I was expecting a draw at that stage. IMO there was f***all between the teams.

IMO as a Tipp man KK were 10 points a better team. Somehow and this is to our credit we hung in there, but we should have been buried in that second half. Last gasp tackles, brilliant saves etc saved this game from being over with 15 minutes to go.
    No complaints whatsoever about Gavin, maybe he got a few things wrong I don't know, but he didn't have an iota of an influence on who won the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

As a Tipp man,I'm obviously sickened,but congrats anyways,we played poorly in the second half.For Tipp to win Bonnar needed to be on top of his game.He was marked out of it,therefore KK got the upper hand.Really believed Tipp would be far stronger in the second half,but unfortunatley,we came out very flat,,but no complaints,KK were much better in the second half,well done Henry,top player,top man,,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Congratulations Kilkenny

But have to say that John Power today was no better than Walter Walsh last day.

And there is no doubt that Man of the Match was the Referee .

John Power scored 1-1!

IrishAlice wrote: »
    John Power scored 1-1!

I always felt that John Power would give Kilkenny far more variety and dynamism then Walter did. The ultimate difference is that Walter tends to drop the head a little too early whereas Power will keep plugging away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭timogen

Congratulations Kilkenny

But have to say that John Power today was no better than Walter Walsh last day.

And there is no doubt that Man of the Match was the Referee .
    I really don't get this gripe people have with the ref today once he's consistent. I thought the peno was the only thing he got badly wrong when he didn't even consult his umpires. Colin Fennelly was dragged down by the faceguard yesterday which is a red card offence and I don't blame B.Gavin for not seeing it as it was so quick. The only player that left the field badly injured was jj with a dislocated finger.
    Both teams foul but some people have blinkered views of what actually happens in a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Build a bridge...Tipp were roundly beaten yet again yesterday by a far superior KK team. (selectively) Listing various fouls to suit your agenda etc is just clutching at straws at this stage and as an other poster has pointed out just riles Kilkenny on further to more success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Tipp looked the more natural hurlers, but once the scrums developed, there was only ever going to be 1 winner. KK days of dominance are over. That's not to say they'll fall away but now they have been brought back into the pack.

tastyt wrote: »
    Does anyone else think bonnar is immune to criticism from fans and the media?? Don't get me wrong he's a top player with a great attitude but it's because of his style and heart that even when he has a poor game that he gets a free pass from some whereas when it's lar or callinan they get dogs abuse.

I think the difference is to be fair is that he continues to fight hard regardless of how the game is going for him whereas others tend to throw in the towel.

Hogan hadn't the legs to handle him the last day but Joyce to his credit stuck to him like glue. Joyce is generally more suited to wing back but had a fine game at centre. Their half backs were imperious. Walsh can feel hard done by he didn't start the last day. A victim of his own versatility if you like. Buckley for me though was the pick of the three. He absolutely mopped up everything that rained in on top of him.

We never really pierced beyond that half back line to give a better assessment of their full back line. In this respect i couldnt really criticise the Tipp full forwards too much. Callanan for one has been terrific all year imo and answered his critics in spades. Lar was starved of good ball but set up the goal when he got it. Gearoid took alot of stick there and he does lack a forward threat but he worked his ass off. Noel is the lad id be most critical of. Far too often he flatters to deceive. When we won in 2010, 20 year old Noel showed alot of leadership in the crucial period where we got two goals in a couple of minutes which ultimately won us the All Ireland. He hasnt been anywhere near those heights since apart from one or two glimpses. Bubbles got three points despite one of his quieter games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Rightwing wrote: »
    Tipp looked the more natural hurlers, but once the scrums developed, there was only ever going to be 1 winner. KK days of dominance are over. That's not to say they'll fall away but now they have been brought back into the pack.

I don't understand why people need to post stuff like this they day after Kilkenny win. Is it bitterness or jealousy?

People have talked about the dominance being over for about 3 or 4 years now. How has that gone?

I think the difference is to be fair is that he continues to fight hard regardless of how the game is going for him whereas others tend to throw in the towel.

Hogan hadn't the legs to handle him the last day but Joyce to his credit stuck to him like glue. Joyce is generally more suited to wing back but had a fine game at centre. Their half backs were imperious. Walsh can feel hard done by he didn't start the last day. A victim of his own versatility if you like. Buckley for me though was the pick of the three. He absolutely mopped up everything that rained in on top of him.

We never really pierced beyond that half back line to give a better assessment of their full back line. In this respect i couldnt really criticise the Tipp full forwards too much. Callanan for one has been terrific all year imo and answered his critics in spades. Lar was starved of good ball but set up the goal when he got it. Gearoid took alot of stick there and he does lack a forward threat but he worked his ass off. Noel is the lad id be most critical of. Far too often he flatters to deceive. When we won in 2010, 20 year old Noel showed alot of leadership in the crucial period where we got two goals in a couple of minutes which ultimately won us the All Ireland. He hasnt been anywhere near those heights since apart from one or two glimpses. Bubbles got three points despite one of his quieter games.

Tipp overplayed the ball too much in the 1st half, were far superior. They looked too confident, were going for goals etc. Just seemed to collapse in the 2nd half.

PaulKK wrote: »
    I don't understand why people need to post stuff like this they day after Kilkenny win. Is it bitterness or jealousy?

People have talked about the dominance being over for about 3 or 4 years now. How has that gone?

You didn't hear me say that. ;)

But if you look at the matches now, they are barely getting over the line. KK will still win as many AIs as anyone if not more, but the days of 3-4 in a row are over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I attended my first ever All Ireland Hurling final yesterday (I didn't go home after last sunday's game), and was hugely impressed with the skill level and physicality that was on show.

The referee let things go which, I think suited Kilkenny, but shouldn't take away from the fact that Kilkenny were the better team.

The one thing that struck me about Kilkenny in this game and in the Drawn game was their first touch. How many times did we see a Tipperary man get a decent pass, drop it, and have his marker swoop in to pick the ball up first time and clear it. Nearly every "scrum" for the ball led to Kilkenny winning posession.

For the second goal, Ryan had a chance to clear it, but fumbled it into the air, Power stole it and stuck it into the net.

I didn't think the penalty was the correct call, but I'll watch it back tonight and see. It was a psychological turning point for Kilkenny I feel, that Callanan only tapped it over the bar. I know they had missed 2 the last day, and it was probably playing on his mind, but you need to take every chance you get against Kilkenny. That showed weakness to Kilkenny and they capitalised very soon afterwards.

The half backs for both sides were magnificent. Walsh, Joyce and Buckley for KK and Maher, Maher and Bergin for Tipp.

I was disappointed for Tipperary, always had a soft spot for them, but was delighted for Cody and Henry. Legends of the game deserve to go out on a high. I've always felt it was a pity that the great Kerry team stayed on too late, and many suffered losses to end their careers. King Henry (if he goes) will have gone out on top and will be remembered as possibly the greatest Hurler of all time. 10 All Ireland medals, Congrats Henry.

Mar fhocail scoir, táim bródúil as Lyster Ryan as ucht an óráid a thug sé, go hiomlán i nGaeilge. Ag teacht ó chontae gan Gaeltacht nó stair labhairt na Gaeilge, is iontach an rud é an teanga a chloisaint ag ócáid chultúrtha chomh tábhtach le seo. Árd Moladh Lyster agus choimeád beo é.

We say that but they have won 3 of the last 4 all irelands. They know how to dig deep and win when it comes down to it and for me that will ensure they remain head of the pack at least under Cody as far as im concerned. The difference is they have huge self belief and trust in each other. Tremendous team spirit really. A player i have huge time for is Eoin Larkin. That man doesnt get half the plaudits he deserves. 33 years old and the lung bursting runs he makes to get a block in are incredible. And he is also capable of getting a score at the other end.

The one team who could consider themselves a bit unlucky this year is Limerick. They lost by the finest of margins and perhaps could have won the game on a better day weather wise. They will take alot from this year. Clare will improve next year, hopefully Wexford and Waterford's young teams will come on a bit more, the new management could be just what Dublin need, you'd never know with Galway and Cork cannot be written off either. And the old foe will lead the pack. Its going to be an even tougher road for us and we cant take anything for granted. If we are serious about going one step further we must start the planning asap.

We say that but they have won 3 of the last 4 all irelands. They know how to dig deep and win when it comes down to it and for me that will ensure they remain head of the pack at least under Cody as far as im concerned. The difference is they have huge self belief and trust in each other. Tremendous team spirit really. A player i have huge time for is Eoin Larkin. That man doesnt get half the plaudits he deserves. 33 years old and the lung bursting runs he makes to get a block in are incredible. And he is also capable of getting a score at the other end.

The one team who could consider themselves a bit unlucky this year is Limerick. They lost by the finest of margins and perhaps could have won the game on a better day weather wise. They will take alot from this year. Clare will improve next year, hopefully Wexford and Waterford's young teams will come on a bit more, the new management could be just what Dublin need, you'd never know with Galway and Cork cannot be written off either. And the old foe will lead the pack. Its going to be an even tougher road for us and we cant take anything for granted. If we are serious about going one step further we must start the planning asap.

Limk had them, but couldn't finish them. Tipp had them the first day, couldn't finish it either. Galway managed a draw. They used up a lot of luck this year.

The hurling is far more competitive than the football now.

Tipp overplayed the ball too much in the 1st half, were far superior. They looked too confident, were going for goals etc. Just seemed to collapse in the 2nd half.

Id agree with the fact we overplayed the ball and felt not keeping the scoreboard ticking over might come back to haunt us.

Id agree with the fact we overplayed the ball and felt not keeping the scoreboard ticking over might come back to haunt us.

I was slightly for Tipp yesterday, and thought ye had it @ H-T. 5 mins in though in 2nd half, and I knew it was gone. Limk would have beaten Tipp yesterday, but not the first day.

Will O Shea go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmerval

From a Tipp perspective, I thought the team looked a little off the boil, three poor wides in a row from Garoid Ryan, Bubbles and Callanan free as well as Bubbles turning down an easy point to go for goal, all during our most productive spell all looked like a team not quite right.
    Gavin as a referee is a disaster, gives soft frees to defenders because they are non consequential, have Tipp a ridicules penalty, never blew for chopping down or steps for either team.
    Eamon O Shea seems to play an intellectual type of perfection game which Kilkenny have rumbled, when the Tipp backs can take the ball out from defence Tipp are great, but when they are challenged vigorously they can only lamp it down the field the forwards are still making their runs and not challenging for possession.
    Thought it was very obvious yesterday P Walsh and Cilian Buckley dominated early on but were very quiet for last 15-20 mins first half, whwn Tipp were dominating, and were totally dominant in in the second half when Kilkenny forwards really upped the pressure.
    Last five years this has been the pattern generally, Tipp good ion first half, Kilkenny force game into a scrap in second half, and Tipp's marqee forwards dissappear from the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Watched the game with an English friend yesterday . It was his first hurling match he'd seen live. He really enjoyed it but he couldn't get over the size of the referee. And you know he's right . Gavin is very fat I don't know how he keeps up with the play in fact watching him yesterday I don't think he can

You didn't hear me say that. ;)

But if you look at the matches now, they are barely getting over the line. KK will still win as many AIs as anyone if not more, but the days of 3-4 in a row are over.

Barring the rare blip last year they would have four in a row now and there would be another drive for five next year.

Now id agree in a sense that they are not winning games pulling up like they used to back in the late noughties (07 and 08 finals spring to mind) but they are still cuter then the chasing pack when it comes to being able to grind the last drop out of the tank. They know how to win every type of game. People will feel we missed our chance the last day and perhaps you could look at it from the point of view that we were lucky to get a draw also. I felt at the time, that if we were smart about our subs that the game was there for us. Always was a big fan of Eoin Kelly - the man and the hurler - but to introduce him to that game the last day was sheer insanity on the managements part. My jaw hit the floor with disbelief. That last five was made for a lad like Denis Maher who has the ability to win ball and stick it over the bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Watched the game with an English friend yesterday . It was his first hurling match he'd seen live. He really enjoyed it but he couldn't get over the size of the referee. And you know he's right . Gavin is very fat I don't know how he keeps up with the play in fact watching him yesterday I don't think he can

The penalty which I felt was no penalty was a big moment. Something now clearly needs to be done about that. 3 penalties any they managed a return of 1 point. :eek:

DellyBelly wrote: »

As someone earlier said all he did was throw in the ball. I would say there was more throwins in that match than the whole season combined.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement