Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Card minimum spend!

• 07-09-2014 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

One thing that has f***ING annoyed me to no end in the last few months is business putting a 'minimum spend' on cards.

It's so infuriating, more and more people are moving to using less cash and they still have this rule, which is wildly variable depending on the business. Why are they refusing business!?

Most don't even put up a sign to say about the minimum spend.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Aye it can be annoying. Its something to do with charges for using the card isn't it? Or so the staff tell me. So a bigger shop just absorbs the cost I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

. Why are they refusing business!?

if you lose money selling something to someone then its business you can do without.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

Leave the goods on the counter and walk out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭The Purveyor of Truth

Self service tills ftw.

They even allow 'partial cash, rest of balance with card' payments.

Very annoying to be told to please take your change when it's still coming out though and to please take your groceries when you are still putting the change in your pocket. I'm not.. some fast person you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Carry cash too you slaphead. It's bad enough standing in a queue to buy my sunday paper when some bellend pulls out his card to pay a €3.50 bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Someone paying by card costs the shop money that cost doesn't change much whether you are paying them 5 cent or €50,000 however the impact of a 10 cent (or whatever it actually is) charge is quite a bit different in their calculation based on the size of the transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

if you lose money selling something to someone then its business you can do without.

I don't think they are making losses on sales(unless it's a 10 cent sale or something?), but maybe just less profit.
    How is it that in other countries you can use card for anything? Maybe the card companies charge a % and not a fixed amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cillit_bang

I think that argument is BS. I don't the charges are that high anymore. There is certainly a vendor that offer very little charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Carry cash too you slaphead. It's bad enough standing in a queue to buy my sunday paper when some bellend pulls out his card to pay a €3.50 bill.

With that new card scan feature you can pay and be away faster then cash

Nope, thats why we have the new nfc function. Which is faster than paying by cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

EyeSight wrote: »
    I don't think they are making losses on sales(unless it's a 10 cent sale or something?), but maybe just less profit.
    How is it that in other countries you can use card for anything? Maybe the card companies charge a % and not a fixed amount?

In Ireland big shops are on one type of deal and most small retailers are on another in terms of price. Small retailers pay small monthly fee plus high per transaction charge while big shops pay higher monthly fee for card terminals with no charge per transaction

In other countries more locations have option 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

daveohdave wrote: »

I've done that. Went to a checkout with a roll and coffee, the assistant said 'we don't accept card transactions for less than a tenner'. I said 'i hope you take 2 sugars' and just walked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭The Purveyor of Truth

I'm more annoyed about the additional fees for phone and ESB top-ups.

Payzone do not approve of these fees by the way, and so report them when you see them.

I heard that the shop across Tesco in Crumlin had their Payzone machine taken off them for charging these fees, hopefully this will keep happening until there is an end to shops doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

this practice will be dead soon with the use of contactless payments for transactions under 15 euro

they are becoming more and more popular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

I thought that minimum spend was not allowed?
    Thought I read somewhere that they have an agreement with the card suppliers, and if they force a minimum spend on customers they are breaking that agreement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I think that argument is BS. I don't the charges are that high anymore. There is certainly a vendor that offer very little charges.

Maybe do less "thinking" and go find out the facts . At least then it'll be an informed rant.

Maybe do less "thinking" and go find out the facts . At least then it'll be an informed rant.

credit card transactions cost business between 1 and 2 % of the transaction depending on the deal they have struck

debit cards are usually a fixed cost and are not very expensive at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

mikemac1 wrote: »
    With that new card scan feature you can pay and be away faster then cash

Fair enough, but how do you verify the transaction? If you've to enter a pin it can't be faster.

Fair enough, but how do you verify the transaction? If you've to enter a pin it can't be faster.

no pin, its for transactions less than 15 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I've done that. Went to a checkout with a roll and coffee, the assistant said 'we don't accept card transactions for less than a tenner'. I said 'i hope you take 2 sugars' and just walked out.

Your a wild thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

deise08 wrote: »
    Thought I read somewhere that they have an agreement with the card suppliers, and if they force a minimum spend on customers they are breaking that agreement?

No. Businesses get charged by the card companies on a per transaction basis. So if you are spending less than a certain amount the cost of the transaction can cancel out the profits of the sale, that is why there are sometimes transaction limits. It's generally in smaller businesses as they have to pay more for card services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I do love contactless. I try to carry €15 or so in cash as well though, some places don't have card reading machines and what not.

Because it is under 15e (That's the rule), you don't have to enter pin. Mind you, A security risk? Yes.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Your a wild thing

If more did the same they'd soon change their policy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Remember Laser cards, business paid very little commission on those transactions but banks realised they were losing out so replaced them with visa debit.
    Card transactions range from 1.5-2.5% on average, for many shops, that is their net profit.

Senna wrote: »
    Remember Laser cards, business paid very little commission on those transactions but banks realised they were losing out so replaced them with visa debit.
    Card transactions range from 1.5-2.5% on average, for many shops, that is their net profit.

no thats only for credit cards, debit cards are much much less, its hard to give an exact figure as it varies from card companies and banks and providers. but its really not that much at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

What's more annoying is when there is a surcharge of €1 under a €20 spend. What if you buy something that amounts to €19.99?

ukoda wrote: »
    no thats only for credit cards, debit cards are much much less, its hard to give an exact figure as it varies from card companies and banks and providers. but its really not that much at all

We pay 1.5% on visa debit, so unless maybe your a big customer, as in over xx million Euro in transactions.

1.5% on visa debit, unless maybe your a big customer, as in over xx million Euro in transactions.

no i believe thats incorrect, its more like 0.05% capped at a maximum of 20 or 30 cent

where are you getting that figure from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Nope, thats why we have the new nfc function. Which is faster than paying by cash.

Not if it's a shop in the sticks without a proper internet connection. The slow machines still work using a telephone and 56k modem! If the place has a modern broadband connection the transaction can be almost instant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

deise08 wrote: »

Yeah, I've read that on Boards before. I found this when I did a search.

yes thats correct, its also listed as not allowed on the AIB merchant services FAQ's

http://www.aibms.com/accepting-card-payments/faqs/

Can I set a minimum transaction value?
    No, you may not set any minimum limit on credit and debit card transactions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

He/she probably still in counselling to deal with the devastation they feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

But (especially with NFC) it's much quicker paying by card, especially over some granny going "€1" ... "€1.20" .... *rummage* "how much did I give you?".... "How much do I owe you?" .... "€1.25" ... "Is that a 5c or a 10c I gave you there?"

Your logic is on par with those who read Georgia's column in Star Sunday alright

no i believe thats incorrect, its more like 0.05% capped at a maximum of 20 or 30 cent

where are you getting that figure from?

The business I work for is charged 1.5%, I think the figures you are thinking of is the old laser rates, which were definitely lower, but I wouldn't know what they were.
    I know AIB and fexico were both charging 1.5% for visa debit transactions, maybe larger shops get better rates.

• Advertisement

The business I work for is charged 1.5%, I think the figures you are thinking of is the old laser rates, which were definitely lower, but I wouldn't know what they were.
    I know AIB and fexico were both charging 1.5% for visa debit transactions, maybe larger shops get better rates.

I think it depends on the merchant used

This article seems to say that debit cards are charged between 11 to 20 cent per transaction - in comparison to laser which was 8 cent per transaction

http://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/debit-card-charges-to-rise-as-laser-checks-out-30051902.html

They also say that banks have waived fees for contactless payment, altho that's only temporary it appears in order to help them become popular

I really really don't think debit cards use a % of the transaction.

Are you sure it's not 1.5% for visa credit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

I've never heard of any business being charged a percentage for debit cards, it's usually a fixed amount somewhere between 13 and 25c. Credit cards are all charged a percentage. This isn't an Irish thing, it's pretty common worldwide. I wonder if the person who told you the rates made a mistake between them.

That's pretty interesting, thanks!
    MadYaker wrote: »
    No. Businesses get charged by the card companies on a per transaction basis. So if you are spending less than a certain amount the cost of the transaction can cancel out the profits of the sale, that is why there are sometimes transaction limits. It's generally in smaller businesses as they have to pay more for card services.

It's worth remembering that businesses pay for accepting cash too. They have to pay to get change from the bank, they have to pay their staff to count it at the end of the shift, they have to pay to lodge it back into the bank and they have to pay to secure it on-premises. Depending on the size of the business, they may also need to pay to transport it to and from the bank. The difference is that there's no fixed per-transaction charge so businesses can't easily quantify those costs.

That's a lovely conspiracy theory but it's slightly off the mark. Laser cards only worked in Ireland so they, like all the other national debit card schemes, were made illegal by the first round of SEPA legislation passed by Europe. Visa Debit won out and the banks decided to push up the MSC for handling it, probably because Visa are charging them more than IPSO used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Only in Ireland

markpb wrote: »
    I've never heard of any business being charged a percentage for debit cards, it's usually a fixed amount somewhere between 13 and 25c. Credit cards are all charged a percentage. This isn't an Irish thing, it's pretty common worldwide. I wonder if the person who told you the rates made a mistake between them.

That's a lovely conspiracy theory but it's slightly off the mark. Laser cards only worked in Ireland so they, like all the other national debit card schemes, were made illegal by the first round of SEPA legislation passed by Europe. Visa Debit won out and the banks decided to push up the MSC for handling it, probably because Visa are charging them more than IPSO used to.

I see our monthly statment from too different providers, both are 1.5% for visa debit, you can either trust that I know what we are charged or you can assume what ever you like.

Conspiracy theories? Just so happens the banks make a huge amount more profit out of visa debit than Laser, of course the banks didn't want that.

Just so happens the banks make a huge amount more profit out of visa debit than Laser, of course the banks didn't want that.

Yes they do, it's about twice laser. But I'm sorry, it's not charged at a % it's a fixed fee, as per the article I posted above

You really must be looking at credit cards

What you are claiming is a long the lines of "Believe what you want, but I know that in our office water boils at 80 degrees" it's kinda hard to believe....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

daveohdave wrote: »
    Why the **** blame the counter-assistant? :confused:
    If more did the same they'd soon change their policy
    Would they? Soon? It's not in place just to annoy you you know.

I don't understand people never carrying cash anyway. Seems pretentious. It's hardly risky to have a €20 note in your wallet.
    Mint Aero wrote: »
    Only in Ireland
    It is?

Yes they do, it's about twice laser. But I'm sorry, it's not charged at a % it's a fixed fee, as per the article I posted above

You really must be looking at credit cards

What you are claiming is a long the lines of "Believe what you want, but I know that in our office water boils at 80 degrees" it's kinda hard to believe....

The difference is, we both know at what temp water boils, but in this case I do know the charges, you are just disagreeing as they sound expensive.

I'm on the phone here, but below is the first link on Google

the fees being charged to retailers for using the new Visa debit cards are up to 5,000pc higher than for Laser.

When you buy something with a Laser card, there is a fixed charge of 15c.

But the new Visa cards have charges imposed on retailers of up to 1.55pc per transaction.

On a €500 purchase, this will mean charges for the retailer of 15c for a Laser card, but €7.75 for the new Visa debit cards -- a rise of more than 5,000pc.
    - See more at: http://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/customers-to-suffer-as-shops-pass-on-hike-in-card-fees-26760577.html#sthash.euS3asbE.dpuf

The difference is, we both know at what temp water boils, but in this case I do know the charges, you are just disagreeing as they sound expensive.

I'm on the phone here, but below is the first link on Google

the fees being charged to retailers for using the new Visa debit cards are up to 5,000pc higher than for Laser.

When you buy something with a Laser card, there is a fixed charge of 15c.

But the new Visa cards have charges imposed on retailers of up to 1.55pc per transaction.

On a €500 purchase, this will mean charges for the retailer of 15c for a Laser card, but €7.75 for the new Visa debit cards -- a rise of more than 5,000pc.
    - See more at: http://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/customers-to-suffer-as-shops-pass-on-hike-in-card-fees-26760577.html#sthash.euS3asbE.dpuf

Well the link I posted says the exact opposite to that. And it's the same paper. The only difference is that mine is more recent article.

And there are multiple other media sources that back up my claim.

The link you posted is 2 years old and I think the indo got their facts wrong back then tbh

Why the **** blame the counter-assistant? :confused:

Would they? Soon? It's not in place just to annoy you you know.

I don't understand people never carrying cash anyway. Seems pretentious. It's hardly risky to have a €20 note in your wallet.

It is?

My visa debit card has been accepted everywhere including the USA and UK for micro transactions in the last few years, only in Ireland have I come across a policy like this and I refuse to accept it. I very often find myself in situations where I have just a card and no cash. How is leaving the stuff behind you and refusing the transaction blaming the shop assistant?

Ok don't believe me, about a year ago I asked the accountant to approach other merchant service providers and see if anyone can offer a better rate than 1.5% on debit cards (used in about 80% of transactions), they all came back with the same rates only differing charges for terminals and contracts lengths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm more annoyed about the additional fees for phone and ESB top-ups.

Payzone do not approve of these fees by the way, and so report them when you see them.

I heard that the shop across Tesco in Crumlin had their Payzone machine taken off them for charging these fees, hopefully this will keep happening until there is an end to shops doing this.

You should take issue with the phone companies instead who are wholesaling the credit to retailers at a price higher than what you pay. Yes report the retailers because god forbid the corner shop don't make a loss on the service they provide.

Consumers love to be all high and mighty until they actually run a business themselves.

rob316 wrote: »
    You should take issue with the phone companies instead who are wholesaling the credit to retailers at a price higher than what you pay. Yes report the retailers because god forbid the corner shop don't make a loss on the service they provide.

Consumers love to be all high and mighty until they actually run a business themselves.

Why should customers take up the issue? The contract is between the retailer and the service provider. If they're wholesaling it for more than its worth, the retailer needs to push back and say NO, and not just pass it to customers

Customers should not pay €21/€22 or whatever for something with a value of only €20

Consumer as usual is the only loser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

One thing that has f***ING annoyed me to no end in the last few months is business putting a 'minimum spend' on cards.

It's so infuriating, more and more people are moving to using less cash and they still have this rule, which is wildly variable depending on the business. Why are they refusing business!?

Most don't even put up a sign to say about the minimum spend.

Its against both visa and Mastercard merchant rules. Report the various business and Mastercard and visa will come down heavy on them. They dont like it very much.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Its against both visa and Mastercard merchant rules. Report the various business and Mastercard and visa will come down heavy on them. They dont like it very much.

Who do you report them to? Couldn't find much info online!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Who do you report them to? Couldn't find much info online!

I'll get the info later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement