Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying ie for personal

Options
  • 07-09-2014 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi,

Im looking to buy a .ie and I know from years previous its not just a straight forward process.
    From memory I think I had to send in copies of proof of business with handwritten letter and photo id etc.
    Anyway. Im looking to buy a domain for a hobby website that I can put up pictures, basic guides, maybe some instructional videos etc..
    In other words, this is purely a website dedicated to a hobby.
    Theres no business behind this.
    How can I register this domain?
    Or will I just have to settle for a .com or some such?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You have a couple of options:
    • Register a .ie domain name - you'll need to provide ID of some kind as well as a signed letter explaining why you want to register the domain etc.,
    • Register a .com or .co or .eu
    • Register under a newTLD (see: https://www.blacknight.com/domains.html )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭gunny558

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Could you elaborate a tad more on the first option. Specifically the signed letter.

How long should this letter be? Is 1 A4 page fine or will it be need to be more elaborate?
    Do I need to give a list of reasons why I want to build this site?
    Do I need to qualify myself (ie what gives me the right to start a website on this subject)
    Should it include details of my plans for the site (how big the site will be, what kind of content I plan on having on it etc)
    Will I need to explain why I want .ie over say a .com?
    etc etc etc

Or better still, maybe you could link me to a template letter so I could get an idea of roughly what I should be aiming for.

gunny558 wrote: »

Could you elaborate a tad more on the first option. Specifically the signed letter.

How long should this letter be? Is 1 A4 page fine or will it be need to be more elaborate?
    Do I need to qualify myself (ie what gives me the right to start a website on this subject)
    Should it include details of my plans for the site (how big the site will be, what kind of content I plan on having on it etc)
    etc etc etc

Or better still, maybe you could link me to a template letter so I could get an idea of roughly what I should be aiming for.
    The letter should be brief and to the point. Outline in simple terms why you want to register the domain and what you plan to do with.

There's no way to provide a "template" for this, as each one is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

I always thought .ie domains could only be your name.ie or your business name.ie

I always thought .ie domains could only be your name.ie or your business name.ie
    No. Companies / businesses can register "related" domain names as long as they show documentation.
    Individuals etc., can do similar as long as they document it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭gunny558

Blacknight wrote: »

etc etc etc

The letter should be brief and to the point. Outline in simple terms why you want to register the domain and what you plan to do with.

OK thanks for all the replies, I just have one last question. Can I be refused the .ie? If I send in the letter and your company doesnt like it, or think that I dont have good enough reasons for wanting a .ie will you refuse me?

Blacknight wrote: »

etc etc etc

OK thanks for all the replies, I just have one last question. Can I be refused the .ie? If I send in the letter and your company doesnt like it, or think that I dont have good enough reasons for wanting a .ie will you refuse me?
    Yes it can be refused - but we don't - that's IEDR 

Advertisement