Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parazole wormer dosage

• 07-09-2014 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi. It's my first time using this wormer so the instructions on the label aren't very clear to me. My dog weighs about 25kg so on the label it says 1ml per 1kg of weight so I've given him 25ml today. Do I need to continue this over a few days or should one dose do him and for how long should it last? He is seven years old. Thanks.

GG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What does the dosage say? Is it just a one off dose? Unless it states to administer it over 3 days then it's just a one off dose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

It's 1ml per kg each day for 3 days.

I use it for kittens all the time, and have dosed dogs with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

No it's not, mymo. Only puppies and kittens get a three day course, at *half* an ml per kg.

For an adult dog, OP, it's a single dose of one ml per kg. Your work here is done. :D

I would worm again in three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭GatsbyGal

Thank you boomerang. The instructions are minute on the label. Thanks for clearing that up about the single dosage.

Thanks boomerang, I should read the pack better, my dogs got it for three days, oops!

• Advertisement

I talked to my vet today about it and he seemed very surprised that I used this. They said that's it's mainly used in puppies and kittens. They had no idea how often it should be administered to an adult dog. They really didn't recommend it. I'm not sure if maybe they just wanted me to continue buying their products which I normally do. I'm just a little paranoid that I may overdose my poor dog or not give him enough. May just dump the rest and go with what the vet stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

GatsbyGal wrote: »
    I talked to my vet today about it and he seemed very surprised that I used this. They said that's it's mainly used in puppies and kittens. They had no idea how often it should be administered to an adult dog. They really didn't recommend it. I'm not sure if maybe they just wanted me to continue buying their products which I normally do. I'm just a little paranoid that I may overdose my poor dog or not give him enough. May just dump the rest and go with what the vet stocks.

Parazole does the job if you ask me - vets want to increase their income whenever they can. Try and get a second opinion from another vet.

It's fine on adults, my vet recommends it to dogs with dodgy tummies.
    My friend uses it on her retriever all the time. You get a good few doses in the bottle, don't know why the vet would be surprised.
    I find it easier to get a tablet into my lot, to be honest, you should worm every three months anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

GatsbyGal wrote: »

I have to admit I found it a little strange that you were using Parazole on an adult dog too OP! It is a very gentle wormer that's usually used over three days of dosing to gradually get rid of worms in pups and kittens, rather than killing all their worms in one go which can cause problems.
    The problem with using it for an adult is, as you've found out, you have to use a LOT of it to dose the dog! It won't do any harm to your dog, not even if you give too much of it, but you're better off, I think, to go with the tablet adult wormers the vet sells, many people like to change brands regularly to prevent resistance to one brand. You may be able to get a prescription from your vet so that you can buy online :)

I am going to call another vet tomorrow to check with them. My main concern is making sure I'm not overdosing him but making sure I'm keeping those worms at bay by dosing him appropriately every three months. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I use Parazole occasionally for my adult dogs; I just mix it through with yoghurt or sardines in tomato sauce. Yum yum. :D

Parazole is something that is in every vet's armoury, to treat things like giardia and lungworm, but not often recommended as a routine wormer for adult pets, I guess because there is the nuisance of the dog having to be weighed at the clinic to calculate the correct dosage. Plus vets feel a tasty little worming tablet as an alternative probably meets with less resistance. :D There are also wormers with a broader spectrum of activity against different kinds of internal parasites. Milbemax is one. So there are a few reasons why the vet or nurse you spoke to might have seemed a bit hesitant.

No harm at all in using it to worm an adult dog and it will be effective provided you have an accurate weight for your dog.

As DBB suggests though, personally I would rotate through different brands.

ETA: I'm kinda surprised they didn't know how often you should treat with Parazole. The standard recommendation for any wormer for a healthy adult dog is every three months. Maybe you got a student nurse on the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AmyMaryJane

Hey just wondering if anyone has experience with a mother having a litter.. The pups are 3 weeks old today and I'm going to start weaning them onto food next week so I've been told it's good to worm them now a week before weaning and again at about 7 or 8 weeks.. but I don't know about the mother it says for pregnant birches 1ml per 4kg body weight daily from day 40 of pregnancy continuously for approximately 25 days. I think i well missed that mark but I brought her to the vet and they didn't give me a wormer for her just vitamins. I only got parazole cause of the weaning but now I don't know what dosage to give her.

Any help is appreciated Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hey just wondering if anyone has experience with a mother having a litter.. The pups are 3 weeks old today and I'm going to start weaning them onto food next week so I've been told it's good to worm them now a week before weaning and again at about 7 or 8 weeks.. but I don't know about the mother it says for pregnant birches 1ml per 4kg body weight daily from day 40 of pregnancy continuously for approximately 25 days. I think i well missed that mark but I brought her to the vet and they didn't give me a wormer for her just vitamins. I only got parazole cause of the weaning but now I don't know what dosage to give her.

Any help is appreciated Thanks :)

You should be worming them from 2 weeks old, and every 2 weeks then until they are 8 weeks, then every month until they are 6 months and then its every 3 months thereafter.

I wouldnt worm the mother as she should have enough resistance if her worming was kept up to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Its too late to do anything about this, but being a masochist pet owner, I thought I'd ask you folks on here if I need to be reported to some pet abuse body :confused:

1 x 11kg dog, 1 x small young cat
    Went to vet to get Advocate for both.
    The cat is a bit of a nutter (my first cat!) and getting anything IN to her is impossible so decided to use "spot on" this time (she was infested when I found her, so Im conscious of keeping her worm/flea free)
    Dont normally dose the dogs - my old dog had once a very bad reaction to a chemical, but this a young incredibly healthy dog...

Anyway, in the hysteria and mayhem of dosing the cat, I put the DOGS dose on her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (obviously the poor dog got the small cats dose afterwards but at €24 I wasnt going to waste it!!) That was saturday... no sign of any reaction from poor Tux thank heavens - could it have caused a problem???

Advertisement