Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stook 10 Mile, Kilkenny – Sun 23rd November, 12pm

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Any chance of moving mile 8-9 to the final mile instead? Would make for some finish! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Cabaal wrote: »
    Any chance of moving mile 8-9 to the final mile instead? Would make for some finish! :pac:

Ha but sure that last mile is non existent when you are still free wheeling from the hill! ;) it's like a free mile! ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

blockic wrote: »
    Ha but sure that last mile is non existent when you are still free wheeling from the hill! ;) it's like a free mile! ;)

yeahhh...sure it is :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Ran it as a tempo run coming back from injuries two years ago.
    Race is top notch and highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Amanda30

Does the local running club run this race waterford west ??? and is it AAI course

• Advertisement

Amanda30 wrote: »
    Does the local running club run this race waterford west ??? and is it AAI course

Hi Amanda,

Yes the local club Gowran AC run this race. It's Dungarvan in Kilkenny, not Waterford.

The course is AAI certified.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

also Kilkenny County 10 mile championship race.... individuals and teams ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Badly in need of a cowbell so I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sharkey47

I am in for this. This is going to be my comeback race after a pretty disastrous run in the London Marathon in April. I may end up walking up the Stook but if that's what it takes to get a hat trick of cowbells then so be it....This is a great race, highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Am definitely going to do this. Just so I am prepared, how long is the uphill before thAt fab downhill.

• Advertisement

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Am definitely going to do this. Just so I am prepared, how long is the uphill before thAt fab downhill.

The uphill is mile 7 and 8 and consists of an uphill, a slight level off and then a smaller ascent to the 8 mile mark. The first part being the more challenging. The remainder is then a sharp downhill with a level off before the finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Thank you! Good to know what's coming up :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

All preparations are on track for this one! Gonna be epic!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 boboloo

Hi

Just reading about this event and it looks like a good one to do. Would anyone know what the course is like up to mile 7? From reading the posts - miles 7 and 8 is obviously the 'tough' section! Are there any other hidden tough sections that one should know about ?

Many thanks

boboloo wrote: »
    Hi

Just reading about this event and it looks like a good one to do. Would anyone know what the course is like up to mile 7? From reading the posts - miles 7 and 8 is obviously the 'tough' section! Are there any other hidden tough sections that one should know about ?

Many thanks

Garmin of the race is here http://connect.garmin.com/activity/244447784

To be honest it has some small hills on the course until you hit the big climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 boboloo

Thanks a million. Had a look at the link - very helpful - good to know what's ahead - the climb is one long one!

Thanks again

boboloo wrote: »
    the climb is one long one!

Thanks again

It certainly is, but the downhill section is great craic :D

For anyione interested there is a Stook training run on Sunday at 10am starting from Dungarvan, Co. Kilkenny at the church.

Plan is for a 7 mile loop and getting a feel for Stook. All Welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I'm in. I have 2 cowbells, the children took those, this ones mine! ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭webpal

blockic wrote: »
    For anyione interested there is a Stook training run on Sunday at 10am starting from Dungarvan, Co. Kilkenny at the church.

Plan is for a 7 mile loop and getting a feel for Stook. All Welcome!

Every Sunday? Roughly what pace would you be doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

webpal wrote: »
    Every Sunday? Roughly what pace would you be doing?

Hi Webpal - nearly every sunday :-) - we post the details on facebook.com/gowranac. The pace in recent weeks has been around 9.5 min miles.

Simon

Cowbells are on their way, here is the race route map showing waterstations, Flying mile and Stook Summit cheering zone - so if you have friends or family coming - come early and see you at the top. We'll be the ones with the facepaint, glowsticks, generator and em...decks.

Cqvimc.jpg

The moment we have all been waiting for! ;)

Cowbells have arrived and the club are delighted with them. :cool: Wouldn't mind getting my hands on one myself!

Registration is here: http://www.active.com/kilkenny-leinster/running/distance-running-races/stook-10-mile-and-5k-dash-road-race-2014?int=

Now that the marathon is over, how about a season closing blow out...

326938.jpg

There will be a final full course training run this sunday at 9am, hosted by Siobhan running at easy pace around 9 min miles. All welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dukie

ASIMON0V wrote: »
    There will be a final full course training run this sunday at 9am, hosted by Siobhan running at easy pace around 9 min miles. All welcome.

Do you think this will sell out pretty soon? Will probably make a decision in the next week whether to sign up or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Dukie wrote: »
    Do you think this will sell out pretty soon? Will probably make a decision in the next week whether to sign up or not

Registrations coming in at a good rate but still plenty of room Dukie. Go on!....Where else would ya get a cowbell?!:D

Sosa has been raving about it down in Waterford for a while now. Think I'll have to go for it & see what all the fuss is about!!!

Dukie wrote: »
    Sosa has been raving about it down in Waterford for a while now. Think I'll have to go for it & see what all the fuss is about!!!

and SOSA knows a thing or two about good races :)

Finally registered for this, doubt I'll get a PB but even a better time then last year would be good :)

• Advertisement

Finally after signing up!

After struggling through my second run since Dublin I've decided that I need to get moving again in time for the Waterford half on the 6th Dec.

Hopefully my dodgy hamstrings will hold up on the Flying Mile :eek:

Advertisement