Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stook 10 Mile, Kilkenny – Sun 23rd November, 12pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Did the training run of the course yesterday. Great craic. Just get to the top of the Stook and let gravity do the rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

we just released another 3.5 entries...the half is for someone who can only limp around :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sharkey47

Are you having any high profile pacers this years? And I don't mean ASIMONOV !

We tried to get some heavy hitters on board for the job, but Village Runner wasn't available. Seriously though - pacers are not part of the stook ethos.

We're all grown ups and part of the stook challenge is figuring out how to optimise your pacing strategy, it's not likely other races where people jump on a pacing train and slowly get dropped in a war of attrition. If you pace it well - there are many places to be made up even from the top of the hill down to the finish. There is a significant difference between descending on fresh as opposed to trashed legs. I know other races use pacers as a draw - it's just not for us. see you at the start line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

ASIMON0V wrote: »
    We tried to get some heavy hitters on board for the job, but Village Runner wasn't available. Seriously though - pacers are not part of the stook ethos.

We're all grown ups and part of the stook challenge is figuring out how to optimise your pacing strategy, it's not likely other races where people jump on a pacing train and slowly get dropped in a war of attrition. If you pace it well - there are many places to be made up even from the top of the hill down to the finish. There is a significant difference between descending on fresh as opposed to trashed legs. I know other races use pacers as a draw - it's just not for us. see you at the start line.

very diplomatic there simon,...will i para phrase it for you....see u sunday

• Advertisement

Very articulate ASIMONOV , thanks. I agree with you on people being overly reliant on pacers ( this year's Dublin Marathon being a good example). I just remember Brian Maher pacing 65 minutes a year or two ago at the Stook. Looking forward to running this on Sunday week.... See you there.

Sharkey47 wrote: »
    Very articulate ASIMONOV , thanks. I agree with you on people being overly reliant on pacers ( this year's Dublin Marathon being a good example). I just remember Brian Maher pacing 65 minutes a year or two ago at the Stook. Looking forward to running this on Sunday week.... See you there.

Thanks, didn't mean it to be a lecture on the merits of pacing. Brian M is outside our budget now :) I actually think he is running inter-counties, it's an unfortunate clash for us - we actually moved our race back a week this year and even then it still clashed. :(

We have over 200 registrations for the 10 mile now, we will be taking entries on the day (as the county 10 mile championships) - so going on previous years - we hope to have c. 300 in the 10 mile and 200 or so in the 5k.

Number pick up and registration is from 10am - 11am on Sunday morning and from 2 - 4pm on Saturday afternoon for locals.

If you are foodie - Glasrai & Goodies a really great local artisan food shop in Gowran will be open before and after the race.

We are currently sacrificing virgins, goats and some virgin goats for good weather. See you down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Careful there! Next thing you know you'll have some of the water charge brigade storming the place to protest against animal cruelty! (Not to mention the poor virgins!) An angry mob at the top of the Stook?! "Down with that sort of thing!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

Anybody traveling from cork that wants to carpool/split petrol costs? I want a cowbell but it's too far to justify driving alone. I promise I'm not a serial killer.

• Advertisement

CR 7 wrote: »
    Anybody traveling from cork that wants to carpool/split petrol costs? I want a cowbell but it's too far to justify driving alone. I promise I'm not a serial killer.

I have put the word out on facebook as well for you - i will let you know if i hear back

Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Looking forward to this. Damn cowbells made it irristable :pac:

Looking forward to this. Damn cowbells made it irristable :pac:

and do you know what - i think this years are our best batch yet. see you sunday,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Where exactly in Dungarvan is the sign on?

pointer28 wrote: »
    Where exactly in Dungarvan is the sign on?

its 100% impossible to miss (as long as you are not wandering around Dungarvan in waterford) - it's in the parish hall, which is beside the church...we have parking at the top of the village - and it will be sign posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

its 100% impossible to miss (as long as you are not wandering around Dungarvan in waterford) - it's in the parish hall, which is beside the church...we have parking at the top of the village - and it will be sign posted.

Big place that Dungarvan Kilkenny spot! ;) Race completely takes over the town on Stook weekend thou!

On the off chance you are footloose and fancy free on Sunday - we are taking on the day registrations. It's €25 for the 10 mile and €10 for the 5k (u12's are €5). For that you get the entry, the bell, the flying mile and the cake. If you are around over the weekend - we have registration and number pick up this evening from 6 - 8pm and from 2 - 4pm on Saturday as well.

Looking forward to seeing some of the more senior boards guys who have registered and some of the newer generation as well.

I am definitely not going to say that the forcecast is looking good. Cos that would be looking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

If you are around over the weekend - we have registration and number pick up this evening from 6 - 8pm and from 2 - 4pm on Saturday as well.

Hi Simon, is that in Dungarvan city centre too? The Kilkenny version.

Hi Simon, is that in Dungarvan city centre too? The Kilkenny version.

sure is - you'll find us in the municipal athletics and whist centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Looking forward to this now - it better be as good as everyone keeps saying....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Looking forward to this now - it better be as good as everyone keeps saying....

You will be at the top end of the line for food...so it will be good! ;)

Jesus that near constant uphill from mile 5->8 was tough. Mile 8 was absolutely hilarious though. Absolutely no control over my legs whatsoever :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

3k uphill at ultra marathon pace followed by 2k downhill at 3k pace, some craic!

Fantastic race, great support, savage course, perfect weather and some feed at the end. Highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't been.

Can't wait to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

It was tough but I loved it. Kudos Gowran AC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Echo all the above..super club race,great to see loads of juniors running,.a race not to be missed if your a runner

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Really enjoyed today, you should be proud for putting on the two races day lads,
    Hated that climb to the top of the flying mile but happy with the results on the way down...sub 6min pace at that stage in a 10mile race was nice. :)

race report of mine http://runninginkilkenny.blogspot.ie/2014/11/stook-10mile-road-race-2014.html

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dukie

Sweet mother of Jesus that's what you call a race! Top notch from start to finish lads. Well done to all involved. This is now a definite race to do in the calendar every year. Hon the hills! ����

Just want to thank all in Gowran for today's race. My third time doing it and my favourite race of the year. The fact that it was my first run since being injured in the London marathon made it all the more enjoyable. Nice to meet a few friendly faces as well…..

• Advertisement

Really glad you enjoyed the race today guys. God - we were blessed with the weather! There's things we know we can do better - but the overall atmosphere, the community base, no pacers, the hill, the flyingmile and the cake are not up for debate. Hope to see you all in 2015.

Advertisement