Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stook 10 Mile, Kilkenny – Sun 23rd November, 12pm

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Who made them kinda fairy cakes with the apple in them......Id kill for more of those.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I loved those Apple cakes too.

I just did the 5k, as am just back running this week after WEEKS off, but really enjoyed it. great atmosphere, lovely course, loved the music, love my cowbell, great spread after. Will be back for the ten mile next year.

thanks for letting me switch from ten mile to five k.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I loved those Apple cakes too.

I just did the 5k, as am just back running this week after WEEKS off, but really enjoyed it. great atmosphere, lovely course, loved the music, love my cowbell, great spread after. Will be back for the ten mile next year.

thanks for letting me switch from ten mile to five k.

Great to meet you today, glad you, your friend and her well behaved whippet / lurcher enjoyed it. I did not have any of those apple fairy cakes - so feeling somewhat deprived now. See you next year for the 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Thanks to all involved in making this race a really enjoyable event. The organisation was perfect, the atmosphere friendly and the route challenging! I actually found the uphill surprisingly bearable (maybe because I was going so slow!) and there were 2 great rewards at the top, firstly the beautiful view over the surrounding countryside, and secondly the flying mile. What a giddy treat that was! The sheer joy of plunging headlong into a crazy downhill sprint! Who cares about what mile 10 will entail - pour everything you have in to mile 9!

Thanks also for the tip about Glasrai and Goodies - we stopped in there after to stock up (stook up?) on delicious goodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Thoroughly enjoyed it. My kids love the cow bells - one earned and one (ahem) kinda nicked - the bells are going to school in the morning.

Will try to encourage a few more to join me next year please God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

This was my first time to do any decent running since DCM. I had some half-ambitions, some even total contradictions - such as getting a PB, maybe even going sub 65, maintaining a certain HR level, hold back and be strong on the hills, take it easy and enjoying the scenery - but the only real objective was to enjoy it.

As I didn't put any thought into race strategy and as I also misunderstood the profile (I thought it was a flat course bar Stook hill!), when the gun fired (some bang from that device!) it meant I took off way too quick (again!!). However after the first mile, there was a couple of uphill drags that put manners on me. I kept trying to bring the HR under control but the course seems to be constantly climbing! I didn't dig particularly deep or anything but unless you're walking this course, it would never be easy. A few of us worked together to climb Stook and I was very happy to see the top. I know this part of the road quite well from cycling, so when I got there I was happy to open the lungs and let rip. I never took much notice when Gowran AC were advertising this bit but it was probably the most fun I ever had in a pair of runners - it was a brilliant (and novel?) concept by them, serious kudos to them.

Everything about this race was so enjoyable. The weather couldn't has been nicer - chilly without been too cold, no wind, bit of winter sunshine, lovely, Great field of runners. The course was "interesting" and exactly what I needed to blow the cobwebs off. Nice medal too. But the highlight for me, by far, was the "flying mile". I didn't get my PB, got nowhere near sub 65m, I wasn't able to control my HR, I was crap on the hill and I certainly didn't get to enjoy the scenery. But I did achieve my main ambition and that was to have some fun and serious fun it was too.

Massive congrats to Gowran AC and Young Irelands or putting on such a great race, one of the best out there. Already looking forward to Stook 10 2015!

Stats: Time 1:06:25, Flying Mile 5:25, Ave HR 175

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Some great pictures of the run yesterday that really some up the great vibe of the whole community getting together for this race every year..

Thanks to Vicky Comerford for the ground pics and Joanne Bolger for the aerial shots!

Village 10M Start

329457.jpg

Kids lead out the 5K

329458.jpg

I think this image sums up the Stook10

329459.jpg

View from up high at the start!

329455.jpg

View of the village at the start

329456.jpg

Advertisement