Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROKEBY & HAWKRIDGE [Article] Lucan estate full of €1.7m mansions remains a ghost town

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭sapper

Apparently several current owners of property in Laraghcon have already approached the developer interested in selling in Laraghcon and moving there instead. The layout and designs are far superior to Laraghcon. I don't think they'll have show houses ready for a while- but they really are making fast progress....... .

Showhouses won't be ready viewable until after the summer (they'll probably be built before then but the EA says they dont market new homes over summer months).

Will be interested to see if the developer is happy to take booking deposits from people who havent sold their houses or paid down their mortgages yet. If he does we'll know the market is on a downturn for sure!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I don't know about deposits- but apparently there is already a waiting list?
    Was driving past earlier- I see they've the roof beams on the first two houses by where the gate lodge was.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭farrerg

I don't know about deposits- but apparently there is already a waiting list?

Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TheJudge2009

Hello Guys and Ladies off course,

I have been on a lot on building 'sites' and have seen a lot over the last 20 years since I came to Ireland and I follow this site for a while now,
    but never signed up.
    As from now, I did signed up because off this article about 'HawkRidge'.....

I Have delivered certain products in the past years, but never expected to be back there today....

And had today some 'nice' conversations with some builders and other people on this site.
    I walked around 3 of the houses and yes, the look nice and are spacious enough, but.............. that's all you get!
    1 fireplace, when you walk in on the left, right is a living room, going along to the back of the house and straight ahead is a nice spacious kitchen, upstairs 4 bedrooms.

To make a long story very short, and that's all I say about it,

Check the Insulation, check for re-plastered walls, check and bang on every wall, yes, serious.
    They are not as well build as you might think, and no, I am not a builder, but have seen to much and learnt from it.

The price they ask for those houses is about 300.000 too high, regardless where they are build.

I bought my house for 150.000.....2100 sq ft, 4 bedrooms..... should tell you enough,
    Ok, not in a 'fancy' neighbourhood of Dublin, but nice and cool enough.

Tried to upload a lay-out, but didn't work out.
    Go to Google Images, search for 'layout of Hawkridge, Lucan'
    It should be the first picture.
    Otherwise, if you are interested go to Lisney.com or ring them.

Well that was my say about it, and hope that I did not offended anyone....

Regards TJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

awec wrote: »
    Ah the distance between those Pirton houses looks alright.

They're also in a great location.

The market has pretty much ground to a halt trying to sell anything above 350-400K, compared to late last year.

Nicer houses, closer to Dublin going for a fraction of the price and they still can't sell them.

• Advertisement

Moderator note:

Ok guys- back ontopic- thread is about Hawk Ridge Lucan. If you want to discuss Pirton, Dundrum- please start a new thread- there are more than a few of us getting confused here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Greyian wrote: »
    The Pirton houses are inside the M50, in Dundrum (across the road from the Balally Luas stop).

Sorry I was talking about Lucan, not Dundrum, will edit my post.

Don't worry- I've moved all the Piriton Houses off to their own thread.

This thread is now a Lucan thread. Two estates for discussion - Hawk Ridge and Rokeby.

Regards,

The_Conductor

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Greyian

The price part was accurate either way. How those houses could ever have been asking €1.7 million is beyond me. They'd want to be much closer to Dublin, and have very large gardens to get anything close to that.

The price part was accurate either way. How those houses could ever have been asking €1.7 million is beyond me. They'd want to be much closer to Dublin, and have very large gardens to get anything close to that.

It'll be very interesting to see how they get on in comparison to what you get a few miles on in celbridge for the same money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

They were asking over a million cos it was the peak of the celtic tiger madness .
    You could easily buy a 4 bed house closer to dublin, maybe with a large garden for 400k ,
    alot of the houses are in the middle of the estate ,
    overlooked on all sides ,by houses on the edge .
    Thats an awkward layout .

These are not mansions , too close together. gardens are small .

A mansion has a large garden, high walls all around.

These are just ordinary large houses, presumably built to a high spec .

i suppose they,ll go for 400k plus because of the location .

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

For €665k you can get this; http://www.daft.ie/11053083

As they are, they're large houses with tiny gardens.

They should knock down five of the houses (see below), so that they're not so packed together, and give each one a bit more of a garden. Surround them by a high wall, and then they may sell.

348801.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

Except they'd make more money selling all 8 at 650k than selling 3 at the 1.7m sale price.

omicron wrote: »
    Except they'd make more money selling all 8 at 650k than selling 3 at the 1.7m sale price.
    I can't see them getting even that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jamescullen

have been looking at these houses since they started renovating them. They seem to be of a good size even if the gardens are small. 600 to 650k does seem to me to be realistic at the moment in lucan for houses like this. The amount of repairs needed seems very worrying to me though. scaffolding up on all the houses...chimneys covered....rendering removed and replaced at first floor level on the balconys etc. The judge2009's post seems to back up my concerns. It will be very interesting to see what kind of appetite there will be for houses with a lets say rich history like these will be

These are not mansions,
    they are large house s ,in a nice area .
    Which is close to an airport .
    ITS trolling to say 1.7m houses,
    they were never sold at that price,
    did anyone ever put down a 200k deposit on these house s.
    You may as well try and sell your old toyota car 10 years old ,
    as a classic car in buy and sell.look its a
    Limited edition,
    only 4 million of this model was made.must be worth at least 40k.
    This estate was probably just about finished when the celtic tiger crashed .

They might get a better price if they knocked down a few to make more space between them .
    And if you bought one ,do you know whose reponsible for repairs to the other house ,s.
    will they all be renovated before they are put up for sale.

Beside an Airport? I guess you mean Weston? I would hardly put that in as a selling point- its a pain in the ass (speaking as someone who is continually buzzed by trainee pilots from there).

As to whether or not any of them ever sold for 1.7m- its entirely immaterial. Other houses in Lucan sold for over 2m (significant numbers- over 60 I reckon)- it is not a weird threshold by any means. However- many of these are now on the market for 400-500k- and indeed, have current residents seeking to move to Rokeby- which is seen as significantly more prestigious than these houses. Hawkridge is on a small road down by the golf club used as a rat run by thousands of cars each day to get to Lucan village without having to go over the flyover and down to the N4. That its one way- is annoying- but I often nip down there and around by Stacumny- for a scenic ride to work or home (my kids are in creche en route- and demand I go that way- as we love the scenery- and we're far from unusual in that respect).

Hawkridge- has the worst of several worlds- its close proximity to Weston being one. Houses on the other side of the golf course on the back road (towards Hazelhatch- but on the Lucan side of the road)- are prestigious and in demand. Hawkridge, Weston Park etc- are handy locations- but to call it a 'prestigious location' actually makes me laugh.

By the way- you know this was one of the areas that was Leixlip that a certain developer convinced Liam Lawlor to rezone as Lucan? Its not traditionally Lucan at all....... Same way Laraghcon/Rokeby/Coldblow/Westmanstown- were all zoned Clonsilla. When I lived up there- I had to go to Porterstown to vote (they are still in Fingal afterall- whereas the rest of Lucan- including greater Lucan- is all in SDCC and the constituency of West Dublin).

I would be very conscious of the golf course and the accident history on the old Celbridge road- and that is what would come to mind whenever someone mentions the area (and its also why the motor cycle cops enjoy shooting ducks in a barrel on the stretch of road between the N4 and Weston- which is a 50km zone- and then again at the gate for Backweston Farm (the Dept. of Agriculture seed testing place)- which has an excellent road- but is a 60km zone- which is partially why people like me nip around on the back road in the first place).

If we are now being advised that the building quality in these units is questionable, and a lot of the render and finishes, and interiors have been gutted and redone- the number of flags just keep getting redder and redder........

I'm sure they will sell these units- if they price them right. But as a 'prestigious gated community'- most people will probably like to look elsewhere.......... They are really trying to doll these up into something that they patently are not.

Personally- had I the money- I'd buy in Rokeby any day of the week, if I was seeking a new home. I don't have the money though- and to be perfectly honest- had I the money- I'd not spend 500k here- when I can get a nice property in an excellent location in the village itself- for half this.

I am interested- in a morbid kind of way- to see who buys these- and whether or not they buy into the fairytale that is being woven even as we speak. I don't buy the bull they're selling though- and that is speaking as someone who knows the area and passes by these properties a few times each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Hi.

I wonder would someone be so kind as to point out on the map attached where this development is please?

I'm going to be out that way tomorrow bringing the mother to the Orchard Garden Centre, so might have a gander. Not that I'm in the market or anything, just nosy.

I'm not from the area, so not familiar.

Many thanks.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Lucan,+Co.+Dublin/@53.3533347,-6.475528,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x48677369938c80c3:0xa00c7a99731aae0

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Greyian

Hi.

I wonder would someone be so kind as to point out on the map attached where this development is please?

I'm going to be out that way tomorrow bringing the mother to the Orchard Garden Centre, so might have a gander. Not that I'm in the market or anything, just nosy.

I'm not from the area, so not familiar.

Many thanks.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Lucan,+Co.+Dublin/@53.3533347,-6.475528,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x48677369938c80c3:0xa00c7a99731aae0

If you switch the map to satellite view, you can see it just south east of the Lucan Lodge Guest Hotel marker. The road name is "Hawkridge".

349046.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If you switch the map to satellite view, you can see it just south east of the Lucan Lodge Guest Hotel marker. The road name is "Hawkridge".

Thanks very much.

I feel a bit stupid now. I just didn't think to turn on the satellite view, NOR to zoom in on the map.

Never post after a few glasses of vino!!

Anyway, now that I can see the houses, the orientation looks a bit off to me. Maybe I am wrong, but the front seems to be sort of West facing, whereas the back is East and North?

Now I haven't had any more wine, but even so, again I may be showing my ignorance.

The houses also look very close to each other. Too close in fact!

Thank you for taking the time to point the development out. Appreciate it.

• Advertisement

The houses also look very close to each other. Too close in fact!
    One of the reasons why they'll never sell, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jamescullen

hear the traffic is bad up at laraghcon. With rokeby added will be even worse. This might be an advantage to hawkridge? Then again the airport is a nuisance there and the build quality would need to be checked out. Anyone have any info on why the extreme renovations?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

the_syco wrote: »
    One of the reasons why they'll never sell, imo.

Everything will sell.

At the right price.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

gaius c wrote: »
    Everything will sell.

At the right price.

very true , but those houses are seriously close together. If I was in the market for a 5 bed gaf its the one exact thing I wouldn't want is to be that close to neighbours. if they were priced at 4 bed semi-d money that would be their optimum selling point .

IF You want to see a mansion ,look around the southside, ballsridge ,
    large front and back gardens with high walls all around the back and sides .
    Someone will buy anything in dublin ,if the price is right .
    The market will decide what they are worth.

That estate is laid out like any estate ,
    but it has walls around it and a front gate .
    The layout of the houses in the middle is a bit awkward ,
    overlooked by houses on all sides .

gaius c wrote: »
    Everything will sell.

At the right price.
    They were going for €700,000 in November 2012

=-=

http://www.monami.ie/2015/monami-construction-appointed-as-main-contractors-for-hawkridge-redevelopment/
    Monami Construction Appointed as Main Contractor’s for Hawkridge Redevelopment
    Monami Construction have been appointed as Main Contractors & PSCS for the Hawkridge Housing Redevelopment, Lucan, Dublin
    The project entails of the Refurbishment & Alterations to 8 existing dwellings along with the construction of 2 new dwellings to match the existing development. The Project will also involve Refurbishment works to the existing entrance & surrounding landscapes of the development.
    The project has an approximate value €2.5 million and is due for completion at the end of October 2015
    Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... they can't sell the ones there, so are now going to build two more for the craic? Seems this happened on the 25th January this year...!

Seems there was meant to be 10 houses, so maybe they're finishing off the estate, but since no-one wants any of them, I'd wonder wtf is the point of building two more?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the_syco wrote: »
    They were going for €700,000 in November 2012

=-=

http://www.monami.ie/2015/monami-construction-appointed-as-main-contractors-for-hawkridge-redevelopment/

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... they can't sell the ones there, so are now going to build two more for the craic? Seems this happened on the 25th January this year...!

Seems there was meant to be 10 houses, so maybe they're finishing off the estate, but since no-one wants any of them, I'd wonder wtf is the point of building two more?

nobody wants them at 700k , but considering this : http://www.daft.ie/sales/hermitage-road-lucan-dublin/1057441/ 4 bed with an attic conversion id say , going for 350 , they'd want to be hitting that market. These are not the same as a detached 5 bed out in the open so worth nowhere over the 500k mark anyway.

nobody wants them at 700k , but considering this : http://www.daft.ie/sales/hermitage-road-lucan-dublin/1057441/ 4 bed with an attic conversion id say , going for 350 , they'd want to be hitting that market. These are not the same as a detached 5 bed out in the open so worth nowhere over the 500k mark anyway.
    700k 3 years ago. Too big for a small family, not enough of a garden for a big family. If they made them into apartments, maybe, but rent would have to cheap enough, as there are no facilities nearby.

For 665k you get this; http://www.daft.ie/11053083 six bedrooms, and better privacy than the 8 dumplings.

I'm more intrigued about why they want to build two more to complete the estate, as they're more than likely going to demolish the entire thing in a few years, unless by completing the estate they're hoping to not have to look after it anymore?

The patchwork repairs and renovations wouldn't fill me with confidence about the build quality. If you do have issues down the line, who's going to responsible, original builder, whoever is doing repairs??

As said, there are definitely better properties, with a garden and a hope of getting some sunlight, for 600k. But maybe someone who wants sq footage over all else will buy them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

very true , but those houses are seriously close together. If I was in the market for a 5 bed gaf its the one exact thing I wouldn't want is to be that close to neighbours. if they were priced at 4 bed semi-d money that would be their optimum selling point .

You'd be surprised at how little value some people put on gardens. Have a brother-in-law with a nice west facing garden on their fairly big house and they only venture into that garden for two reasons.
    1. To hang out the washing.
    2. To cut the grass.

Either way, those house prices look a bit ambitious now but there will be a price level at which somebody won't mind the small garden and buy the house.

Advertisement