Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROKEBY & HAWKRIDGE [Article] Lucan estate full of €1.7m mansions remains a ghost town

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Will post after I go on Fri. Was told by EA that asking price was excess of €650k when I asked in February but would be shocked if all went for near that. Would expect one or two to go for €600k or so and maybe less.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I would have thought 450-500. So there is a reserve on them...... Wonder will any fail to meet the reserve- and what they do then?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭sapper

I would have thought 450-500.?

If that's the case the builders being realistic and I'd be interested in having a look.....however I think next year they'll be forced into selling at realistic prices like that - right now they'll be trying to find the eejits and extract as much money as possible from them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

For anyone interested here is the original Hawkridge bubbletastic brochure.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jamescullen

Not very impressive. ...only on house has a nice garden

• Advertisement

Not very impressive. ...only on house has a nice garden

3 of them have large (well, its all relative) gardens- nos. 1, 6, 10. Presumably you can do with them what you will........

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

3 of them have large (well, its all relative) gardens- nos. 1, 6, 10. Presumably you can do with them what you will........

And not ONE back garden is either South or West facing.

That is daft orientation for the price surely.

Personally for me the only way is E in the front and W in the back. PERFECT.

But I had to compromise with N in front and S at back. Works great. Live in the back mostly anyway, as do most people.

If I was to ever move it would be E/W. But we can't have everything in life!

Hang on- just thinking about this- they are auctioning these off unfinished, right here, right now- with a purported completion date of Nov/Dec/Jan........
    This is screaming 'panic' to me. The developer is smelling blood in the water- and determined to try to get their pound of flesh- before the shít hits the fan........

I'm a bit surprised Lisney are party to all of this- I'd have held them in higher regard........

So- the developer is trying to lock buyers into buying these at today's prices- because they are too worried about what is coming down the road- to hang on until they've actually built them..........

Absolutely- but are they panicking that they won't get the stellar prices of last Oct or panicking that they won't sell at all at even a fair price? Is it a fire sale they're having next Wed or is it going to be barefaced effort to try and grab what's left of last years froth?. "No bids less then 750k"...

You'd have to imagine there are two issues at play here- first the general feeling that the market will drop after the summer and second the smaller but perhaps still more upmarket houses coming on stream in rokeby park?

Everyone will surely have a strong preference for the brand new builds (rokeby) over buying a house in an ex-ghost estate. I just wonder whether this will be reflected in the pricing of hawkkridge....

Imagine you did put a high bid in on Hawkridge and it was accepted, and then you find out on moving in day that no-one else bought one....

'Best bids'.......
    In all honesty- it sounds more and more like blind panic........

• Advertisement

'Best bids'.......
    In all honesty- it sounds more and more like blind panic........

Best bids work well for the EA when there is huge demand. Dunno of that's the case here and don't really think there's any way that there's a queue of people going to rush in and pay over the odds. Have been involved in one best bid process on a house a year ago when it was used to end a bidding war. It got the price up by 20k from what was a supposedly agreed sale price. It was also done on a batch of houses in an estate in Maynooth and worked well to get daft prices. Lisney may be just following suit and expecting a similar result.

Were the other properties sold by this method- actually built?

So- 10 envelopes from 10 interested parties- with their 'best bid' for a house that isn't going to completed (depending on which one you go for/get)for several months- possibly early 2016.

I wonder will those with a garden achieve a better price.

Also- if Rokeby is launching in August- and here we are 7-8 weeks ahead- with a 'best bid' auction called out of the blue- what can people presume- other than they want these out the gate asap- and buyers tied into their purchase- before Rokeby goes live........

Are these 'best bids' binding? Is there a 10% deposit taken? Even if there is a 10% 'booking deposit' (or whatever they want to call it)- it could well be a better option to drop them down the road and go with Rokeby instead (though obviously- it would be preferable not to toss 40-50k down the toilet).

I'm very interested in these- seeing as I drive past them at least twice a day- but I just don't see how they are feasible (or indeed desireable). Ok- they're big. But 'big' isn't everything........

They only built 8 of the 10 so only 8 for sale next week. Based on what we were told at the rokeby info evening it would go something like this

-bids accepted from buyers with purchase funds ready to go now
    -if bid accepted you pay booking deposit within 24 hours (eur15k for rokeby!) and give your solicitors details
    -they send the contracts out within the week and require them back signed within 3 weeks, along with your full 10% deposit

They then harangue you until you sign the contract and lock yourself in, well before you've had sight of rokeby....

....but if anyone finds themselves in this situation I know that sherry fitz will very probably do everything they can to make sure you buy up in rokeby (arrange private viewing, talk about pricing etc)

All just a marketing ploy by Lisney, which is what they are being paid for in fairness

Just to clarify- Rokeby are doing the same 'best bid' lark?
    I suppose all this means- is if they are reasonable with their expectations- they'll shift them.......

Vis-a-vis Hawkridge- have they abandoned their intention to build the final 2 altogether- or will the new purchasers discover builders breaking ground in 2 years time- out of the blue, when they least expect it?

So- its a grab to try to extract as much cash from potential buyers- and lock them into the purchases- as quickly as possible- before anything else happens the property market.

If they haven't seriously reassessed the reserves in both developments- there will be issues (esp. from any of the higher bidders).

I can't wait to see these pop up on Property Price Register (though I guess that could well be a year hence- or whenever they're finally sold).

Rokeby has some of the large house types (2450 sq ft) to sell now pre-launch and have offered them to people on the "interested" list but at a fixed price per house around 750-760k

So the minimum bid set for the blind auction is set per house at around 665k with the showhouse and the corner house with the big garden at 710k/705k. Inside the showhouse looks great (in the brochure) with a generous modern layout. You have to put a bid in on each house you're interested. Lisney seems to think these houses will all be sold this time next week

sapper wrote: »
    So the minimum bid set for the blind auction is set per house at around 665k with the showhouse and the corner house with the big garden at 710k/705k. Inside the showhouse looks great (in the brochure) with a generous modern layout. You have to put a bid in on each house you're interested. Lisney seems to think these houses will all be sold this time next week

Had a look myself yesterday too. Have to say I was very impressed with the house. Really didn't think I would be and it's size is very deceiving from the outside. I thought that area outside the attic room was wasted and would've been a great sitting area if it had a full length window opening it up looking over the course. Still a lovely house but the price is nowhere near a bargain. Could see them selling tho as everyone that I saw in there was oohing and ahhing as they saw each room.

I have somewhere else tat might or might not come to fruition (bank involved) that would be much better value so won't be pushed into making a rash decision by the EA doing a quick view and bid process. Would make contact again if it didn't sell at those prices if the other house didn't work out.

These are much much nicer and better value than the Artisan Lodge house up for sale nearby. Not saying that either is good value, just comparing as that place was me turned early in thread as a better option. Not in the same league imo.

Didn't get to see them but got a look at the brochure (try using the vieweet app to look at the plans- very cool!). Minimum bid levels are not as bad as I thought they would be - eur207-225 per sq ft. I was thinking it would be Rokeby pricing at eur330 per sq ft - and you are getting way more house for your money.

That said given the rushed nature of the sale and the slowing market in general I would be very surprised if they all sold and completed, and I am sure someone bidding 665 wouldn't be outbid. Will definitely be calling up in a few weeks to see what happened.

Was there any mention of a management fee given its a gated development ?

No mention of fees. There was something planned for the garden area with some shape pencilled in but couldn't see what it would be. Page we were given had prices and deposits info. Not much more. No. 6 was 705 and no. 1 710 but with floors and curtains Inc. Others all the same and with same gardens.

Service charge is 1450 per annum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Has anyone got photos from the show house viewing to post??

I have a friend who's interested in these....

Thanks,

OS

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hig15

I am told by the EA all 8 (2 more go for sale in ~ November) have bids accepted by the vendor all >650K, with 2 >715K (large gardens). Hawkridge may not sound very overpriced to me if you think, Hawkridge are 3200 sq ft house compared to Rokeby with ~ 2300sq ft at 730K-780K, ok - all Rokeby have big back gardens but its an estate of ~80 houses, where Hawkridge is 10 houses. I was in the showhouse & they are very impressive.

Thanks a mill - was wondering what the update was

Yes Hawkridge is good value @ EUR203-225 per sq ft vs Rokeby at EUR330-EUR346 per sq ft. Shame its too expensive for me! Just goes to show there is always a market if the price is right.

They do look fantastic (except for the size of the gardens) but with the note of caution expressed earlier in this thread that there may be some issues with the build quality - I guess you would have to get as thorough a survey as you could if you were buying. And the fact that that you will have to pay 100-200 a month management fee.

The other plus is that the estate will be 80% occupied from day 1 (if all the sales go through), whereas Rokeby needs to sell all houses in phase 1 before going on to phase 2 etc - if the market stalls in 2016 it could be quite a while before phase 4 of Rokeby is completed....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 yogi007

Heard no bids less than 750 K also. Would agree with you sapper on the new build versus the estate sitting there for years.

Walked up passed rokeby last week and it was the first time I saw the houses with the scaffolding down. They look great and really like the front wall

yogi007 wrote: »
    Heard no bids less than 750 K also.
    Hig15 wrote: »
    I am told by the EA all 8 (2 more go for sale in ~ November) have bids accepted by the vendor all >650K, with 2 >715K (large gardens)

Really? 2 houses had a 715 minimum but the other 6 had 650/665 minimum -
    meaning 6 people added 85/100k to the reserve price?
    yogi007 wrote: »
    Walked up passed rokeby last week ...They look great and really like the front wall

Yes Rokeby does look great, with good gardens and in a decent spot, but the word on the street is that Hawkridge are better houses inside. From looking at the brochures Hawkridge has a generous kitchen/living area whereas the open plan kitchens in Rokeby look at bit on the small side

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭digiman

sapper wrote: »
    Really? 2 houses had a 715 minimum but the other 6 had 650/665 minimum -
    meaning 6 people added 85/100k to the reserve price?

Yes Rokeby does look great, with good gardens and in a decent spot, but the word on the street is that Hawkridge are better houses inside. From looking at the brochures Hawkridge has a generous kitchen/living area whereas the open plan kitchens in Rokeby look at bit on the small side

Is Rokeby sold out? I can't find any add on the internet for them!

rokeby is far from sold out! Sherry Fitz are the agents if you want to contact them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭digiman

rokeby is far from sold out! Sherry Fitz are the agents if you want to contact them

Have you any links? I can't find anything form a google search or on the Sherry Fitz website

Website is live with videos and floor plans - http://rokebypark.ie/

Prices are EUR675k for 1900sq ft 4 bed bungalow "Sandpiper", 690k for 1900sq ft 4 bed detached "Teal", 750k odd for 2260sq ft 4 bed "Swan". Think its 850k for the 2450sq ft "Kingfisher"

Prices are mental :mad: The blurb recommends the bungalows as "optimum properties for local people trading down".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Doesn't need another thread. Threads merged.

Mod

Advertisement