Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Date ideas in limerick

• 07-09-2014 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭

Hi all, does anyone have any suggestions for interesting date ideas in limerick city or county, preferably in evening time aside from cinema, pub or bowling. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Culture night coming up soon. That's a great atmosphere night out of trailing from event to event, no chance of being bored then!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I don't know if it is your thing but the annual Elemental festival is on from Thursday next, you might find something in there, or Culture night is on Friday 19th September, this is a cracking night around town with a host of different cultural events spread throughout the city centre.

http://www.elementalfestival.com/#!events/c1lbj

You also have the Limerick City Obstacle Course next Sunday

http://www.limerick.ie/visiting/whatson/2014-09-14-limerick-city-obstacle-course-0

The Pigtown Fling is worth a look on the 20th.

http://limerickcityofculture.ie/content/pigtown-fling-music-bus

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Banquet in Bunratty if you are looking for a bit of craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

sulky racing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Greyhound Racing or Horse Racing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

While the weather is good, a stroll around places like Currachase, Carrigogunnell, Castleconnell or Cratloe is lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭redron74

An File wrote: »
    While the weather is good, a stroll around places like Currachase, Carrigogunnell, Castleconnell or Cratloe is lovely.

Even the city's riverside walkways.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

redron74 wrote: »
    Even the city's riverside walkways.

Good call. :) Could even spend a while feeding the swans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

An File wrote: »
    Good call. :) Could even spend a while feeding the swans!

That is the best idea ever!!I love it and am totally going to do that.

I really like the look of the Elemental festival but we've only had a couple of dates so I really do not know if it would be his thing. Greyhound racing and bunratty banquet are also great ideas. Who knew we had so many romantics on boards :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Theres a roller disco out by Harvey Normans too, great for making a tit of yourself on Skates for an hour!

• Advertisement

I'm back with the same question again.
    Anyone have any suggestions of good day time date ideas in Limerick city? Apart from feeding the swans and King Johns castle I can't think of anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

panda100 wrote:
    I'm back with the same question again. Anyone have any suggestions of good day time date ideas in Limerick city? Apart from feeding the swans and King Johns castle I can't think of anything!

Go to the EVA international art exhibitions at cleeves factory or the gallery?

Go to the EVA international art exhibitions at cleeves factory or the gallery?

Is the exhibition at Cleeves any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

panda100 wrote: »
    I'm back with the same question again.
    Anyone have any suggestions of good day time date ideas in Limerick city? Apart from feeding the swans and King Johns castle I can't think of anything!

Frankly there's not a whole lot to do in Limerick City outside of the obvious restaurant, cafe, park, hunt museum, art gallery options.

You could try go-karting, roller jam, or go kayaking from the boatclub Sarsfield bridge - www.getwest.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Play count the poundshop!!

Westfield or the pier off the condell road?

moleyv wrote: »
    Play count the poundshop!!

I consider myself a fairly cheap date but even I draw the line at Dealz for a date :pac:

I like Red Kings suggestion of kayaking. Could be fun!

I consider myself a fairly cheap date but even I draw the line at Dealz for a date :pac:

I like Red Kings suggestion of kayaking. Could be fun!

Kayaking is great fun. The same crowd also do water zorbing (hilarious) tag archery, and have a mobile climbing wall.

You could also check out Nevsail who operate from the back of the Hunt Museum. Similar stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Stephenc66

Head out to Killaloe, rent a lake boat for time on the water, or take a trip on the Spirit of Killaloe on Lough Derg.

Lots of places for coffee or lunch and a pretty nice place for a walk. Farmers market on a Sunday

Red King wrote:
    You could also check out Nevsail who operate from the back of the Hunt Museum. Similar stuff.

Did the city kayaking tour with Nevsail last year and it was brilliant. Great fun and insightful tour of the river too. Great idea for a date, thanks Red King, you old romantic!

Did the city kayaking tour with Nevsail last year and it was brilliant. Great fun and insightful tour of the river too. Great idea for a date, thanks Red King, you old romantic!

That's good to know, I'm planning on taking my girlfriend on that trip soon :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Is the exhibition at Cleeves any good?

I enjoyed it but make sure you and/or your date enjoy colonialism as that's what alot of it is about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Go for a nice meal. Other kind of activities such as kayaking etc would be a bit strange for a date, no?

Parchment wrote: »
    Go for a nice meal. Other kind of activities such as kayaking etc would be a bit strange for a date, no?

No, not when you've done the meal thing a zillion times.

I enjoyed it but make sure you and/or your date enjoy colonialism as that's what alot of it is about

Hmm can't say colonialism has come up on any of our dates so far, but what better time than now to introduce such an important topic to a budding relationship :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Go walking, running, or even mountain biking out in Cratloe. There's a serious opening for somebody to set up a mountain biking business based out that way actually.

Not to be picky or anything but every time someone asks for suggestions about things yo do in Limerick City it quickly turns into a list of suggestions for things to do in Clare and surrounding areas.

The heart of the city badly needs more "things to do".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Stephenc66

Red King wrote: »
    Not to be picky or anything but every time someone asks for suggestions about things yo do in Limerick City it quickly turns into a list of suggestions for things to do in Clare and surrounding areas.

The heart of the city badly needs more "things to do".

That is a very fair point on both counts.

And as someone who suggested a Clare town how about these for Limerick.

The Belltable

The Lime Tree Theatre

University Concert Hall

https://www.limetreetheatre.ie

http://www.uch.ie/

I have not been to the Lime Tree or The Bell Table and it is a very long time since I was at The UL Concert hall. They popped up on a Google of things to do in Limerick.

There's a fair bit going on in the city centre, but they're just not very regular or routine. There's the odd great gig, or interesting exhibition, etc. If you live in the city you can take advantage of these things easily, but if you don't live in the centre it becomes very awkward. If you're a visitor or tourist then it's worse again.

zulutango wrote:
    There's a fair bit going on in the city centre, but they're just not very regular or routine. There's the odd great gig, or interesting exhibition, etc. If you live in the city you can take advantage of these things easily, but if you don't live in the centre it becomes very awkward. If you're a visitor or tourist then it's worse again.

I don't think it has much to do with living in the city or not. I liive in the city and in general I find that a lot of activities or events are not very well advertised. There has often been events on that I would be interested in but I have only found out about after they have happened.

• Advertisement

I don't think it has much to do with living in the city or not. I liive in the city and in general I find that a lot of activities or events are not very well advertised. There has often been events on that I would be interested in but I have only found out about after they have happened.

It's just easier to be spontaneous about going to things if you live in the city. If you don't there's more organising and planning involved, and that doesn't lend itself to the sporadic and poorly advertised nature of events in Limerick.

Advertisement