Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog underwent surgery, no heat cycle yet

• 07-09-2014 8:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 148 ✭✭

My dog has just turned one and has yet to come into heat. She's a yellow Labrador. When she was 5 months old, she was in a car accident and had to have a front leg amputated.

Someone mentioned to me that dogs which go through major surgery may never be able to have pups. Does this mean she won't come into heat?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

She could be just a late starter. But please tell me you are not considering breeding her?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BelleMolly

Has the vet assessed her recently? She may be able to fall pregnant but the risk may be more about whether she can give birth to puppies after that kind of trauma. Personally I wouldn't risk letting her get pregnant and i would get her spayed just to be sure she doesn't. You might not want to hear that. Hope she's doing well though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 148 ✭✭Pipjam

Two responses already about breeding. I have not mentioned breeding her so why the responses?

I am merely asking a question about the health of my dog.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks, let's not jump to conclusions... if you want to know whether OP intends to breed from their bitch, just ask, but ask nicely :) And if they say they do want to breed, and you feel they shouldn't, be nice about how you go about making your point.
    Let's just be nice. The world needs more nice :)
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

It's not unheard of for dogs to go into heat very late, I know a bitch who was 18 months before her first heat and never had regular heats after, and there was no trauma involved there.
    My bosses dog had parvovirus at about 6 months and was almost a year before her first heat.
    So I wouldn't worry to much, speak to your vet if you're worried. If you are waiting for her first heat cycle to spay her, give it a few months, if she shows no signs in six months, I'd just go ahead and spay to be safe.
    Hope she's coping well with three legs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Now, with mod hat off,
    OP, I wouldn't be unduly worried just yet. Some dogs are just late starters, especially the bigger breeds.
    It's possible too that the trauma of the accident has delayed her maturation.
    But I wouldn't worry too much just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My retriever didn't have her first heat until 14 months(!) so I wouldn't worry too much yet. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 148 ✭✭Pipjam

mymo wrote: »
    It's not unheard of for dogs to go into heat very late, I know a bitch who was 18 months before her first heat and never had regular heats after, and there was no trauma involved there.
    My bosses dog had parvovirus at about 6 months and was almost a year before her first heat.
    So I wouldn't worry to much, speak to your vet if you're worried. If you are waiting for her first heat cycle to spay her, give it a few months, if she shows no signs in six months, I'd just go ahead and spay to be safe.
    Hope she's coping well with three legs.

She's coping great thanks. Not quite as quick as her other four legged friends but she does give them a run for their money!

Advertisement