Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommended Accessories

• 07-09-2014 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. I had always enjoyed coffee when out but up until last year never put a lot of effort into doing it at home. Having progressed from Instant coffee to Nespresso after the mandatory wedding gift of same, I started getting into my coffee about a year ago when a friend gave me a gift of an Aeropress and one of my work colleagues spurred me on a bit. Went on to get a Hario Skerton, a 6 cup Chemex and a Top Moka mini, but really only use the aeropress due to the amount of grinding required for Chemex, and Moka has mostly been looking pretty in press.
    I must have been very good as other half is getting me a grinder and espresso machine for my birthday. After a bit of research I am going to get the Sage Smart Grinder Pro and Rancilio Silvia V3 (which are en route in case anyone is trying to dissuade me). The idea is that I will still use the aeropress a bit but use the chemex more and also make my own espresso (also going to convince the wife that she enjoys flat whites for a bit of fothing practice).

I was just looking for any recommendations for supplementary kit (as I haven't had to put my hand in my own pocket yet).

Was thinking of getting a Grindenstein Knock out box, and I picked up a Contigo West Loop travel mug yesterday to bring the pour over coffee to work with me.
    The main things I am looking for advice on are a Tamper, cups/glasses. Also I my water is coming in from a well and is very hard, so would love a bit of input on what the preferred cleaning agents/regime for a machine I will use once to twice/day during the week and about double that at the weekends.

So basically I'd like to spend about €100 on bits other than the coffee, and any input would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vermilions

It seems you have fallen into the deep end of coffee culture! I'm interested too in these "accessories". :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

First off you'll need a tamper. I got a decent one off has bean. 3fe have them too.

Also need a scales and a timer. After that you can pick up things as you need them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Thanks, got a tamper, that knock out box, steel jug and thermometer from Andrew James, some cleaning stuff by Urnex, and a little brush for cleaning around the group head. Pretty set up now, a tamping mat would be handy; using a leather coaster at the moment, which works well but I've ruined it already.
    Have a scales + timer already (most important)

Now back to practice getting my tamping and temp surfing to synchronise.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭James_R

Was going to recommend madebyknock:

http://www.madebyknock.com/store/p23/mr_stone%27s_birthday_offer%3A_heft_lippy_strada_bundle.html

^ have this and love it.

They also sell mats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Naked portafilter and no need for tamping mat. ;-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement