Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity cables over property - thoughts?

Options
  • 07-09-2014 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

This might seem like a strange question but here goes:

Looking at a house for sale and it ticks all the boxes (location price space etc) but there are overhead wires going across the garden (the poles arent on the property) so if they blew down they could land in the garden if that makes sense.
    I don't know how likely that scenario is to ever occurr but are there any other (minor or major) concerns I should be looking into with these?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,685 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is it a rural property, if so possibly no chance of them ever going underground. Concerns have been raised about cancer risks of overheard properties near homes but don't think there's any concrete proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Calmsurrender

Thanks for the reply; yes it is rural.
    I heard stuff about cancer risks too but no idea where to start with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Don't do it, the risks aren't just cancer, they can have all sorts of negative effects still being explored. I wouldn't normally encourage scaremongering but I would say avoid.

Thanks, do you know of any sites where I could read up - I dont mind if they are on the scaremongery side, might as well try and find out as much as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Is it a rural property, if so possibly no chance of them ever going underground. Concerns have been raised about cancer risks of overheard properties near homes but don't think there's any concrete proof.

lets rephrase this.

There is anecdotal evidence, most of which has been disproved , that living below power lines can cause almost immeasurable , tiny increases in the risks of maybe ,perhaps, developing cancer or other illnesses.

there is no proven risk with living below / around high voltage power lines , and until a reputable body states otherwise it should be considered hogwash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Are they power lines or telephone lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Don't do it, the risks aren't just cancer, they can have all sorts of negative effects still being explored. I wouldn't normally encourage scaremongering but I would say avoid.

Over-head power lines are ugly, they create lower property values. Lower property values are indicative of poorer areas of living. Poor areas of living have a higher percentage chance of cancer.

Over-head power lines create a higher percentage chance of cancer. You can replace cancer with obesity, jail risk and teenage pregnancy too if you want.

See how easy that was. You release that statement around the 70's/80's and watch as those property's devalue even further. Guess what happens then?

A building surveyor will outline it as a risk when looking at a property. I just wouldn't do it personally.... That's just me though. The magnetic fields are still being studied, some claim it's safe, others say it's dangerous, but really it's your call.

I welcome all opinions - just want to be as informed as possible either way.

A building surveyor will outline it as a risk when looking at a property. I just wouldn't do it personally.... That's just me though. The magnetic fields are still being studied, some claim it's safe, others say it's dangerous, but really it's your call.

a risk to resale value, not to health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Nonsense, as above there is no scientific evidence they are dangerous. If you want to ignore said lack of evidence then that's your call - but stop spreading rubbish information.

a risk to resale value, not to health.

No, to health as well.

Look the OP asked for opinions and information. I'm not saying that it'll cause cancer/depression/asthma, just that there is still some concern about it and I personally wouldn't take the chance. If you're buying, presumably you plan to live there for a long time and say they're proven dangerous in ten years time? You're stuck there because selling would be a nightmare. I don't know, I'm not a paranoid person or anything, I would just be cautious and my advice is that the OP avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

First thing to find out is what voltage are these wires. Good indication is how high are the poles and how many wires are there. Chances are there LV wires which mean the carry 220 volts exactly the same as in your house wiring. Let md know what you see and I can tell you what voltage they are.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Nonsense, as above there is no scientific evidence they are dangerous. If you want to ignore said lack of evidence then that's your call - but stop spreading rubbish information.

I am not saying it's a fact, I'm saying it's still being explored but I personally wouldn't risk it. The OP has said they want to hear all opinions so please stop rubbishing mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I'm rubbishing your lack of facts, your opinion is not relevant in a discussion about science - it's not a debate. Magnetism and electricity have been under investigation for over 100 years and are well understood. What you are saying is akin to nonsense from the 1950s about how the electricity would leak out and set the thatch on fire.

Luckysasha wrote: »
    First thing to find out is what voltage are these wires. Good indication is how high are the poles and how many wires are there. Chances are there LV wires which mean the carry 220 volts exactly the same as in your house wiring. Let md know what you see and I can tell you what voltage they are.

Hiya, there's three wires and they seem to be not much higher than a tree (sorry thats a bit vague) the pylon by the looks of it is in a field across the road from the property.

Hiya, there's three wires and they seem to be not much higher than a tree (sorry thats a bit vague) the pylon by the looks of it is in a field across the road from the property.

Can you see how many cables are on the pylon ? And is there any connection from the pylon to the house ?

No, to health as well.

Look the OP asked for opinions and information. I'm not saying that it'll cause cancer/depression/asthma, just that there is still some concern about it and I personally wouldn't take the chance. If you're buying, presumably you plan to live there for a long time and say they're proven dangerous in ten years time? You're stuck there because selling would be a nightmare. I don't know, I'm not a paranoid person or anything, I would just be cautious and my advice is that the OP avoid it.

The op asked for information , with your post you may aswell have mentioned risks associated with banshees , fairy rings and indian burial grounds. Your saying you dont know if theres risks , myself and other posters have pointed out (based on hard facts from scientists and engineers) that there is no risk , yet you have persisted to say dont do it in a passive way based on uninformed opinions, that are proven to be wrong

I dont think it connects to the house at all just goes alongside it over the garden, three wires.
    I'm seeing it again tomorrow so hopefully can take a better look then.
    Not sure about the pylon. Will see what else I can see

I dont think it connects to the house at all just goes alongside it over the garden, three wires.
    I'm seeing it again tomorrow so hopefully can take a better look then.
    Not sure about the pylon. Will see what else I can see

If its only 3 wires at worst case its 440 volt which is pretty low, could also be telephone . If a cable was to fall into your garden , the power would be cut off at the substation automatically , posing no risk to you.

440 volt or even 220 is the same rate at which electricity enters every commercial , retail or even home premesis in Ireland. You walk above, below and beside cables carrying this voltage every day of the week , there are no proven safety risks to your property or your health at this level and a small pylon like that wouldnt even be aesthetically offputting enough to turn most people off buying a house.

• Advertisement

I'll be so embarrassed if it turned out to be telephone haha.

Thanks for the info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I am not saying it's a fact, I'm saying it's still being explored but I personally wouldn't risk it. The OP has said they want to hear all opinions so please stop rubbishing mine.
    They also can have all sorts of positive effects being explored. I hear they increase virility 50% and make you 10% smarter. I'm not saying it's a fact, it just being explored. So the OP should definitely go for it; who doesn't want to be 10% smarter?

As has been said above, there's nothing wrong with power lines except that they effectively cap the value of your property, it will never be a desirable property for a large number of reasons. It means you have a greater chance of your neighbours being anti-social troublemakers, thus devaluing your property further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Its fine once you wear a hat made of tinfoil, I read it in an article on the internet.

seamus wrote: »
    They also can have all sorts of positive effects being explored. I hear they increase virility 50% and make you 10% smarter. I'm not saying it's a fact, it just being explored. So the OP should definitely go for it; who doesn't want to be 10% smarter?

As has been said above, there's nothing wrong with power lines except that they effectively cap the value of your property, it will never be a desirable property for a large number of reasons. It means you have a greater chance of your neighbours being anti-social troublemakers, thus devaluing your property further.

to be fair its been pointed out that its a country house and that its a low voltage pylon like this :
    400_F_2466637_A3Mk8sPQxy0FuRyrsGvoLN28EGISU0.jpg

its not a huge metal interconnector , so neighbours and property values wont be a huge issue, the pylon is probably for the supply to this house or a local farm.

Advertisement