Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when is it fair to pierce a baby/child's ears?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Snake wrote: »
    Well my 5 year old cousins ears hurt so much after my auntie let her have them pierced in Claires "twisting" the stud was like ripping the thing out... The fact you need to twist the stud is enough to show how dangerous the guns are...

I can't speak for Claire's and their policy on piercing ears. But they're getting a bad rap on this thread and the Facebook post I read which to me would suggest that they may not be the best place for younger children to get their ears pierced. I would suggest that if people are getting their kids ears pierced at a young age that they might perhaps ask locally for a recommendation. But even with this it still may hurt different children more. It depends on a child's pain barrier. There's no point in bringing a child that has a low pain threshold to get their ears pierced and then complaining about how it was barbaric and like torture by how painful they found it.

Parents know their own children and what pain they are able to cope with. I'm sure if I was a whingy child that cried everytime I fell and scraped a knee that my parents wouldn't have let me get mine pierced at such a young age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Wellyd wrote: »
    I can't speak for Claire's and their policy on piercing ears. But they're getting a bad rap on this thread and the Facebook post I read which to me would suggest that they may not be the best place for younger children to get their ears pierced. I would suggest that if people are getting their kids ears pierced at a young age that they might perhaps ask locally for a recommendation. But even with this it still may hurt different children more. It depends on a child's pain barrier. There's no point in bringing a child that has a low pain threshold to get their ears pierced and then complaining about how it was barbaric and like torture by how painful they found it.

Parents know their own children and what pain they are able to cope with. I'm sure if I was a whingy child that cried everytime I fell and scraped a knee that my parents wouldn't have let me get mine pierced at such a young age.

Claires earned their bad rep within the piercing industry... Any of the jewellers are just as bad... No you don't know what pain ANYONE is able for that's pure ****. I can't feel someone else's pain, nor can anyone else.. I can't decide if my son can handle an ear piercing but a tounge piercing would be too sore.. That's the biggest load of crap I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Snake wrote: »
    No you don't know what pain ANYONE is able for that's pure ****. I can't feel someone else's pain, nor can anyone else.. I can't decide if my son can handle an ear piercing but a tounge piercing would be too sore.. That's the biggest load of crap I've ever seen.

I would never suggest that anyone can know the exact amount of physical pain a person whether adult or child can cope with. But there clearly are people that can deal with pain better than others.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Getting my ears pierced is the only thing I can remember about being 6. It hurt like a mofo. I couldn't sleep for a week.

Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

I got mine done when I was 16. My mother allowed me to cut my hair, dye my hair crazy colours but nothing permanent until I was 16. It hurt.

Whatever about piercing a babies' ears, my friend who is a doctor came across worse. She was working in Glasgow and treated a month old baby girl with a nose piercing that was horribly infected. The parents had done a DIY job on the ears and nose. While the ears were accessible for cleaning, the child had a cold so the nose was not.

They wanted a 'rock' baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I got mine done when I was 16. My mother allowed me to cut my hair, dye my hair crazy colours but nothing permanent until I was 16. It hurt.

Whatever about piercing a babies' ears, my friend who is a doctor came across worse. She was working in Glasgow and treated a month old baby girl with a nose piercing that was horribly infected. The parents had done a DIY job on the ears and nose. While the ears were accessible for cleaning, the child had a cold so the nose was not.

They wanted a 'rock' baby.

That's shameful and horrific :(

I really hope social services got involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

Lisha wrote: »
    That's shameful and horrific :(

I really hope social services got involved.

Yes they did. She said that it was one of the worst cases of parental incompenence that she had seen. There were more issues than just the piercing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Wellyd wrote: »
    So if you think it's traumatising children then please get a grip. It's 2 holes in their ears. Children will have to deal with much worse than that. FWIW I went with my best friend to get hers pierced when she was 16 and she screamed like a baby and whinged for about a month about how sore and tender her ears were. In comparison to my little sister who got hers done at 6 and she barely batted an eyelid!

How about a nose stud so?
    Maybe a bar here and there? If its just a hole, no problem right?

Why would you scar a child who may or may not want it later? Clearly you are getting it done for your own reasons and not the child's?
    I doubt the baby cares if people think its a boy tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

My girls would have been 6/7, getting their ears pierced. The eldest aged 21 now, has had a lot more piercings, whereas my other girl soon lost interest in earrings, and Iet the holes close up. I definitely would not get a child who is not old enough to want it themselves, or understand what's involved, get it done. I didn't get mine done till I was 18, but that was more to do with thinking that they actually shot the earrings at you out of the gun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

I've had over 40 piercings so far. People always joke to me about getting my two year old son's ears pierced. I think it's disgusting to pierce a child's ears unless they have asked for it, and fully understand the responsibility of aftercare.

If you take your child to somewhere like Claire's, then you're an idiot. Simple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Ericaa wrote: »
    I've had over 40 piercings so far. People always joke to me about getting my two year old son's ears pierced. I think it's disgusting to pierce a child's ears unless they have asked for it, and fully understand the responsibility of aftercare.

If you take your child to somewhere like Claire's, then you're an idiot. Simple.

Apparently you're the idiot because the girls there are great and they don't just watch a 30 minute video and pierce because my friend Helen worked there and she was told by the manager that's not what happens, and Helen doesn't lie.

Snake wrote:
    Apparently you're the idiot because the girls there are great and they don't just watch a 30 minute video and pierce because my friend Helen worked there and she was told by the manager that's not what happens, and Helen doesn't lie.

Uhhh what? I haven't said anything about any video. I have no idea why you've called me an idiot.
    Claire's use guns. That's enough reason to not go anywhere near there for a child's piercings. Educate yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Ericaa wrote: »
    Uhhh what? I haven't said anything about any video. I have no idea why you've called me an idiot.
    Claire's use guns. That's enough reason to not go anywhere near there for a child's piercings. Educate yourself.

Think he's being sarcastic Ericaa. Lols :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Saw a boy on the same plane as me yesterday he was about 2 years old and he had his ear pierced.

Tbh I don't like the idea of it and I think it looks slightly tacky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I was 4 when I got mine done, just at the time I started school. I had blue studs and loved them. I'd love to get my daughters done but she's not keen so of course I won't. She is also four years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I didn't get mine done till I was 18, but that was more to do with thinking that they actually shot the earrings at you out of the gun :D

Lmao... I think I may tell my girls that this is how they do it. Mwhahaha!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I got mine done when I was 12 in a local salon. I've wondered about how clean everything was because I've had some issues with infections and let them close up for a few years. I got them repierced when I was getting married. I was recommended a place in Dublin which I wasn't terribly keen on from the outside as its a tattoo place as well but the guy who repierced my ears was unbelievably professional. He explained everything, everything was spotless and told me the 'rotation' advice isn't correct. I had small hoops put in, left them alone apart from cleaning around the area properly and everything was perfect after a couple of weeks. If and when my daughter wants to have them done I'll bring her to this place or somewhere that specializes in piercings rather than a local jewelers.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Think he's being sarcastic Ericaa. Lols :)

ahahahaha, that totally went over my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Murray007

My mam pierced my ears at 6 with two ice cubes and a sowing needle. She was a hairdresser and did it for loads of people at the time.

They constantly got infected or reacted to even gold stud earrings until at the age of 12 I made the decision to let them close up. I have as an adult looked into getting them reopened properly but there is a bar of scarring in the ear that would cause infection so can't get them redone.

CRAZY, but I suspect Botox and fillers will cause similar problems in the future.

Do you ever think that Botox is the new tobacco - like why didn't they know putting something toxic in your body wouldn't cause problems in later life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

lazygal wrote: »
    I got mine done when I was 12 in a local salon. I've wondered about how clean everything was because I've had some issues with infections and let them close up for a few years. I got them repierced when I was getting married. I was recommended a place in Dublin which I wasn't terribly keen on from the outside as its a tattoo place as well but the guy who repierced my ears was unbelievably professional. He explained everything, everything was spotless and told me the 'rotation' advice isn't correct. I had small hoops put in, left them alone apart from cleaning around the area properly and everything was perfect after a couple of weeks. If and when my daughter wants to have them done I'll bring her to this place or somewhere that specializes in piercings rather than a local jewelers.

Why wouldn't you be keen on a tattoo studio for piercings? You're much better off.

Think of it - go to the guy who sells jewelry, or go to the guy who does body modifications for a living? :)

On topic - I think it's disgusting to pierce a child. I would never punch holes into a child's skin. My ears were pierced as a child and it's left me with scarring bad enough that I can't get them re-pierced, even if I wanted to. I'd have much rather not have been left with scars on my earlobes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

At the end of the day piercing the ears of a baby or child who cannot or has not asked for it themselves says more about the parent's vanity than anything else. No baby has a need for piercings and if you're worried someone will mistake your girl for a boy or think that it will make them somehow prettier then it's pathetic on your part.

I first got my ears pierced at 12 and since then have added several more piercings and tattoos but these were my choice and an expression of my individuality. I'll be damned if anyone thinks I'd make a decision for my child to modify HER body.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Why wouldn't you be keen on a tattoo studio for piercings? You're much better off.

Think of it - go to the guy who sells jewelry, or go to the guy who does body modifications for a living? :)

It was a lesson learned for me - don't judge a book by the cover! I'll definitely bring my children there if and when they want a piercing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

lazygal wrote: »
    It was a lesson learned for me - don't judge a book by the cover! I'll definitely bring my children there if and when they want a piercing!

Much better off tbh. These guys in studios do it for a living. The jewelers and claire's sell sh!t for a living! Plus, no nasty, bacteria covered guns in studios.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I got them done at aged seven just before the end of the school year, the school changed their rules in relation to studs the following school year and they closed up. I got them done again when I was sixteen and have never really had an issue with them.

I hate seeing babies or young children wearing earrings. I think secondary school age is best to get them done.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

It's a hugely emotive subject. I really dislike piercings on babies or children. I have my ears pierced (never wear earrings) and also have my tongue pierced. My kids are fascinated by that and all say they are having their tongues done at 18!

I guess for people with ugly babies it gives them something else to focus on :rolleyes::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I think piercing a child's ears is a horrible thing to do. Kids don't need adornment, they are already beautiful! I just think it is so cheap and tacky looking, not to mention unnecessary and cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I find it tacky and completely unnecessary on young children, I would probably allow it in their teens. I actually don't think the pain is the main problem, I just don't want to make a child appearance conscious even earlier than it happens anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I don't remember how old I was getting mine done, I'm sure I asked for them though. And I do remember having to be lifted into the chair because I was small. I vividly remember the pain, the absolute shock of the noise of the gun followed by unbelievable pain and realising I was only halfway there.

If my child ever asks for a piercing, I think I'd say 12 - 13. Old enough to understand that when someone says "It will REALLY hurt" they mean it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

My sister actually said yesterday "I can't wait until Abigail (my 7 week old daughter) is old enough to get her ears pierced so we can take her to X (place that does it with a gun). I flipped and told her absolutely no guns, and no ear piercing until she is legally old enough to get it done in a lawful establishment. When she is 16, if she wants it, I will take her to the same place in Louth that I've had my piercings done.
    It looks incredibly tacky on a toddler/baby and the excuse that it differs the sexes is utter tripe. Parents are even piercing boy's ears now!
    Also, if your baby daughter is all dressed in pink and frills and someone thinks they are a boy, then they are the ones with the problem :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I actually prefer people mistaking my daughter for a boy than dressing her in some garish pink clothes. She also has blue bedroom furniture (the walls are pink). And her brother wears pinks and lilacs because they suit him. And I definitely wouldn't pierce her ears to make her gender more obvious, what is the big deal if they are sometimes mistaken for the opposite gender anyway?

Advertisement