Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when is it fair to pierce a baby/child's ears?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

meeeeh wrote: »
    I actually prefer people mistaking my daughter for a boy than dressing her in some garish pink clothes. She also has blue bedroom furniture (the walls are pink). And her brother wears pinks and lilacs because they suit him. And I definitely wouldn't pierce her ears to make her gender more obvious, what is the big deal if they are sometimes mistaken for the opposite gender anyway?

Yeah I really don't get the "pink frills for girls, blue dungarees for boys" thing. I was delighted to pick up some sleepsuits for my boy in the sales recently - so what if there was pink on them? He has a couple of pink shirts, Tshirts, etc. And some pink vests inherited from a female cousin. I wouldn't put him in a skirt or dress, but other than that, anything goes.

Similarly, if I ever have a girl, I would imagine 99% of his clothes will absolutely be suitable for her.

He hasn't yet been confused for a girl, but it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if he ever was. In fairness - lets admit it - most babies look much the same to anyone except their parents! :D

So, no, I wouldn't be one to get ears pierced just to emphasise the gender! Personally I was never allowed get my ears pierced, so just went and did it myself with my first babysitting money when I was around 13. Got it done in Claires, with a gun. No bad side effects, but no way in hell would I let any of my kids get theirs done with a gun - if they were old enough to want it, and mature enough to understand the pain and possible side-effects, I'll bring them to a reputable piercing studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Zed1

I was 11 or 12 when I had mine done. I had it done at a chemist as nowhere else would pierce under 16s haha. I don't think pierced ears look good on little kids and I wouldn't do it to my kids without their permission. If they want their ears pierced, fine, but I wouldn't want to inflict that pain on them if they don't even want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Cant remember what age i was but i was young.It hurt alot. I hated getting them cleaned and rotated. Eventually took them out and they closed.
    Then i wanted them done for my confirmation/starting secondary school. My mum reminded me but i wanted it done. And it hurt like hell again. Same thing dreaded rotating and cleaning. Again i let them close.
    about 16 my friends were getting theirs done second/third sets
    So i got it done again. And it still hurt. I did keep them in that time but never got anymore. Even when friends were getting more done or nose etc.
    I havrnt wore earings in years so they are probably closed again.

If and when my daughter asks i think ill show her videos or bribg her somewhere that does it and show her how its done. And the pain involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

If you're getting anything pierced then the best place to get it done is in a piercing studio that sterilises the needles between uses. Quite often its not the skin being pierced that causes the pain but rather the shock at the force applied by a piercing gun.

As for what age to allow a child to get their ear pierced? Presumably when they're mature enough to understand how to take care of the piercing, so that's probably as subjective a yardstick as any to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I got my ears pierced just before I turned 5. I wanted to get them done, and my mother had explained that it would hurt etc.
    I can clearly remember getting them done (with a gun) and it was nowhere near as painful as some of you are saying.
    My daughter can get her ears pierced when she wants to get them done and is old enough to understand it is not pain free.

I don't judge people for piercing their kids ears so young..... I live in a country where they will do it in the hospital if you ask, but it's just not to my taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Oryx wrote: »
    My daughter asked at 6 to have her ears pierced. I brought her to Claires where they used a gun. It was fast, clean and painfree. Wee girl actually grinned and told me it didn't hurt. They were pierced with 9ct studs because thats all I can wear and I thought she might be the same. We had no issues with pain or infection afterwards. She was pleased with herself and was really good about aftercare.

+1

Exactly the same experience. My two eldest girls really wanted it done and had it done together as a special treat when they were 8 and 6 (the latter is very mature for her age). Less painful than the MMR in school or so they said. Proper hygiene and aftercare (plus gold studs) and there were no issues at all

My youngest is 6 but she's not ready yet and that's fine too!

I really don't understand the fuss. Comparing having a tattoo and an ear piercing is laughable tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Snake wrote: »
    Some say it's fine when you're okay with it, others like myself think it's not right until their old enough to ask for and understand what that it WILL hurt as well as keep it clean etc.
    What are the bets that many of those saying that also have circumcised sons? Ohhh... that's different... Me arse...

Comes down to what culture you're from. What people think is 'right' or 'wrong' varies wildly, but it always comes down to the culture you grew up with. The rest is just rationalization to justify what you feel to be 'right' or 'wrong'.

So in response: Ireland, maybe age six or seven. Spain, three minutes after cutting the umbilical cord.

Advertisement