Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

resizing in photoshop

• 07-09-2014 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

I have a photo 6x4. Can I make it 8x6 and retain all the picture and perspective? Only one layer

If i make a blank 8x6 can i paste it in? What are the control codes? C to copy and Control p to paste? What is select?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭steoc

Ctrl A to select all.
    Ctrl C to copy.
    Ctrl V to paste.
    Ctrl T to transform. Hold down the shift key and move the image from its corners.
    Hope this works for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

GoodLord wrote: »
    I have a photo 6x4. Can I make it 8x6 and retain all the picture and perspective? Only one layer

If i make a blank 8x6 can i paste it in? What are the control codes? C to copy and Control p to paste? What is select?

What you should do here depends on a couple of factors:

- What file format is the source image (jpeg, raw)?
    - What are you trying to do (simply print) or resize for distribution on a website / different medium?
    - How big is the source file in megapixels?

If you are simply just trying to print 8*6, and you have enough megapixels (anything over 10-12mb should handle printing to that size with no problems), you should be able to select the output size in either photoshop or lightroom, and simply either a) export the file to a new location on your hardrive and send to your printer, or b) send straight to print if you are printing at home.

The key to printing effectively at the size you want is getting the sharpening right before you go to print.

If you are trying to display differently on screen or you are printing to a different medium where you need to make the image bigger - you may need to consider using the resizing tool in photoshop. For that - go to photoshop, save down a new version, and go to the image menu and select resize. You can directly select the ratio you want (in either pixels, cm, inches etc) and make the image bigger.

Generally - you want to avoid making images bigger than they are in photoshop. The image will be blurry and will lose detail. This is because Photoshop artificially adds pixels (and doesn't do that v well).

Therefore - try and print for the size you want straight out of photoshop / lightroom using the first option (you should be ok if you have enough pixels in the raw format).

If the image is a scanned version of a print - then obviously all the above shouldn't be considered, and you should go back to the negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭asark

Before you safe you file for printing make sure you change the mode to CMYK color mode:

Image > Mode > CMYK Color

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭GoodLord

asark wrote: »
    Before you safe you file for printing make sure you change the mode to CMYK color mode:

Image > Mode > CMYK Color
    why would i do that? i have had photos print ok and did not do that unless it is pre set

Advertisement