Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation In Sydney

Options
  • 07-09-2014 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering if anybody has any advice on seeking reasonably priced accommodation in Sydney,myself and my brother will be there for two weeks in November and need to find a place to stay that wont break the bank. All advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Depends on where you want to stay really. Inner west, CBD, eastern suburbs?

Hostels are pretty cheap ($24ish a night?) so you can work it out from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

Have a look on Airbnb, there's always heaps of apartments available for rent and you might be able to get a discount if you book for 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Spent a week in a hostel in Sydney for $19 each a night for a twin private room. It was the Maze Backpackers, it was pretty manky hostel now, old floors, carpets, stairs and bathroom and with the cheapest rates you'll get the odd undesirable guest. But twas cheap and very central. Plenty of Irish there, alot were working. Quite noisy at night but that might be what your after.

I hear Bounce hostel is nice but it'd be double the price if your talking a private. Twud be $30 a head for a dorm bed but its suppose to be lovely. These are all city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭picaso30

Thanks for the replies,I don't think the youth hostels would suit nut airbnb sounds good so will check that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Wouldnt rule out a hostel, stayed at 790 on George, great spot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭picaso30

Cheers,will check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Stayed at 790 on George as well and Wakeup right beside it. Both are nice, wakeup is more expensive (cheaper from May-Sep) but really good. Both are about as central as you could ask and literally across the road from central station.

As for places to stay, Surry Hills was my favourite area that I lived in, was on Crown and Oxford Street straight across a place called The Winery with a shop that sold a Butlers chocolate (but not cheap) and s minute walk from Shady Pines which is an awesome cocktail bar. Had a Woolworth right around the corner, bunch of places to eat out and was only a 10 minute walk from either the CBD or Kings Cross (generally not a fan of that place though!). Only downside was a 30 odd minute bus to the beach on weekends, and it can be tricky to find a place there.

Also lived in Kingsford which has some big advantages like cheaper accommodation (had a big ground floor apartment with a large balcony, three bedrooms and 2 parking spots for $210 a week, myself an Aussie and an Irish couple in there). It's also just 15 minutes by bus from the CBD and in rush hour, near a good few other places, is quite lively since it is stones throw from UNSW, and is only 10 minutes on the bus from maroubra beach (which is really nice and always 3/45 empty unlike the places just up the road from it). If you're ever in that area make sure to get something from the "Hot French Bread" shop beside the IGA (there's always a mad look elderly Asian guy working there) or some chicken from the Korean BBQ place a few door down, they are both gems of places. Downsides were that we lived at the top of a VERY steep hill we needed to tackle every day after work and that there was no Coles or Woolies within walking distance - only IGA which is no nearly as cheap. Very safe and quiet area (outside of the college bars) also, we rarely locked our balcony door, near-ish to the airport but not enough that the planes make noticeable noise going overhead. The busses come about every 3-5 minutes in either direction, by the way.

Also stayed in a friends place in Fairlight, just a 5 minute walk from the corse in Manly for a few weeks over Christmas/New Years when I got there first because it is so hard to get accommodation that time (they went home for holidays). Loved the place to absolute bits, but rent is a bit higher and I worked in the CBD so while it was lovely for a while and had me in work fresh as a daily (and I am NOT a morning person!) I couldn't adjust to having to get the half hour ferry every day, especially since if you miss it you are generally kind of screwed for the next half hour or so. The women in Manly though, there's something in the water up there!

Advertisement