Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Out in the IFI from Friday, so hopefully a few other cinemas will have it too.

There's a few strange quirks with a few major releases this week and next. Like Moonlight isn't 'officially' out until Friday, but has been showing as full schedule 'previews' in IFI and Lighthouse since last Friday. Ditto 20th Century Women - out in Lighthouse now, other places later this week. Donald Clarke was speculating on Twitter it might have something to do with BAFTA eligibility. Odd one one way or the other, although the sheer amount of worthwhile films knocking around cinemas at the moment remains quite dizzying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Presumably, in this era of questionable news it'll be announced that the Pope is to play Gandalf in a LOTR reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭looie

I see the IFI have decided to go down the suprise film route.

http://ifi.ie/mystery-matinee

It's popular with the festival audiences and I'd imagine it'll go down well in the IFI as well. Doesn't appeal to me in the slightest though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A quick rant,the omniplex in Wexford is shocking for the running of it's kids club.Zero info on it's website so it's either try and get somebody to answer the phone or take your chances.
    Movies@Gorey has up to the minute seat availability,times and dates for the kids club.How hard is it for omniplex to do the same?
    The missus was wanting to bring the kids today and as usual there was zero info for Wexford.Even one of my colleagues lives near Wexford but drives to Gorey with his kids as he doesn't get stung with a €40 bill when he pays for tickets and some snacks.
    Anyone with kids will understand this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Does anyone know what screen 4 in cineworld is like? A film I want to see is screening there and then the day after in the lighthouse on screen 3 so I'm trying to decide which to go to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

megaten wrote: »
    Does anyone know what screen 4 in cineworld is like? A film I want to see is screening there and then the day after in the lighthouse on screen 3 so I'm trying to decide which to go to.

Always go with the Lighthouse.

Best cinema in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,643 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

These guy now look like they really did do a Tour of Duty.
    kevindillonofficial#platoon 30 year #reunion last night at #johnnydepp house #goodtimes @charliesheen

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWqng3OFXiN/

• Registered Users Posts: 60,643 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The wreckage of USS Indianapolis has been found.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40991326

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Worthy piece about Marsha Hunt who turns 100 today.

BFI link.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So those who dwell on so-called 'Film Twitter' may have seen the great talking point of the moment.

In short: the esteemed film journals Cahiers Du Cinema and Sight & Sound have both opted to include Twin Peaks: The Return on their best films of the year lists - and remarkably high up at that (#1 and #2, respectively - although Get Out topping the S&S is perhaps just as surprising as a TV show being voted as runner-up). This has, understandably, provoked a bit of a friendly debate about the blurring of lines.

What are people's thoughts on the matter? Personally I feel TP:TR was an extraordinary accomplishment, and the most cinematically audacious work of the year (not that the year was without its big screen masterpieces). I can see the frustrations - it is television, made & presented as such. That said, it feels like a complete 'thing' from a singular director (not to neglect Mark Frost's key role in proceedings) in the way few other television shows ever have. Beyond a few outliers like The Dekalog, it is to me the first time in recent memory that TV has well & truly risen to the level of great cinema - and exceptions are made for exceptional circumstances :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I loved Twin Peaks the Return, best show of the year, perhaps ever, but it's not film. Or at least all 18 parts can't be considered a single film. Lynch and Frost might have written Twin Peaks season 3 as a single script, they may have even shot it like a single film, but in editing they clearly worked that into 18 distinct episodes. Now if someone wanted to pull out one particular episode of the show and call that one of the best films of the year I'd be fine with it, but nobody is going to do that because they know even the best episodes of the season don't really work on their own.

Had the network balked at the finished result and a movie studio stepped in and asked Lynch to re-edit it as a long-ass movie to screen at festivals, does anyone think he would have made it into an 18 hour film? Of course not. He would have dropped all the musical codas, a significant portion of the Dougie Jones stuff, a lot of the FBI investigation and much more. He would have recognised that this story doesn't require 18 hours to tell cinematically. But TV is repetitive in way that film isn't. That's the strength of TV and why people like it: it's more of the same every week. More of the characters, atmosphere, etc that they like. Where as film tends to be more compressed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I haven't seen Twin Peaks: The Return (heck, I haven't even seen the original show all the way through), but honestly at face value that choice feels more than a little 'click-bait'y and a move to garner reaction and discussion.

As Sad Professor says above, any serialised TV, no matter how creative or esteemed the director, is demonstrably not a film & shouldn't be seen as a feature-length entity when clearly it is anything but - from structure to narrative and all points in between. I get that there was great happiness and joy for fans of both Lynch and Twin Peaks that its return was a success, but let's not go overboard and assign accolades in categories it doesn't belong in.

Besides, everyone knows the best film of the year was Paddington 2. There. I said it and I don't care who knows it :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,275 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

it's a bit silly tbh, it's clearly not a film so shouldn't be there. Just because it's made by David Lynch shouldn't change that.

I'm pretty sure Twin Peaks is a practical joke of some kind anyway, looks like the critics have fallen really hard for it this time around :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

pixelburp wrote: »
    Besides, everyone knows the best film of the year was Paddington 2. There. I said it and I don't care who knows it :D

I genuinely think Ben Whishaw should get a best actor Oscar nomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Wasn't Twin Peaks first shown at Cannes this year? Maybe the thinking is the premiere was shown in a cinema so it's eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The search function says this hasnt come up before so: How's the Odeon "Maxx" PLF screen? Specifically Rathmines? Worth the small bump in price?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so there nothing else on but star wars, usually go to cinema in the quiet days before xmas was going to use star wars for that but saw it with bro last week, nothing else is out till after xmas

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like next Christmas doesn't have a Star Wars movie so looks like Disney are giving us a break ;)

Paddington 2 is still playing if you want something to warm the cockles of your heart :D

And I've heard the Jumanji reboot/remake/sequel isn't as terrible as it could have been (supposedly coasting by on its leads)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Looks like next Christmas doesn't have a Star Wars movie so looks like Disney are giving us a break ;)

Paddington 2 is still playing if you want something to warm the cockles of your heart :D

And I've heard the Jumanji reboot/remake/sequel isn't as terrible as it could have been (supposedly coasting by on its leads)
    im not complaining about star wars a ssuch but have more then one non-kids movie out, even if things like i tonya or the shape of water were already out I'd go see one of them

• Advertisement

im not complaining about star wars a ssuch but have more then one non-kids movie out, even if things like i tonya or the shape of water were already out I'd go see one of them

Don't get me wrong, I feel ya, while I made those recommendations it was mostly out of an equal sense of frustration about there being few other options :)

On another, spleen-venting note though, anyone else around this forum equally sick of reading the endless 'discussion' over metacritic/RT scores, coupled with the tedious inevitability of critic bashing where the scores are lobsided? Every second thread now descends, or threatens to descend, into an endless non-debate over stats and scores that adds nothing except bickering over numbers, critics-as-shills or other tedious topics. Rather than, you know, talking about the movie; easier to play Popcorn Pokemon I guess.

Rant over, but the forum has really dipped in terms of quantitive chit-chat IMO

I was all set to prove you wrong by listing all the alternative options screening at the moment but a quick look at the multiplex listings doesn't make for pleasant viewing!

If you're not lucky enough to live near a variety of cinemas then it really is Star Wars or Paddington for the next week or more.

That said Paddington is brilliant.

Don't get me wrong, I feel ya, while I made those recommendations it was mostly out of an equal sense of frustration about there being few other options :)

On another, spleen-venting note though, anyone else around this forum equally sick of reading the endless 'discussion' over metacritic/RT scores, coupled with the tedious inevitability of critic bashing where the scores are lobsided? Every second thread now descends, or threatens to descend, into an endless non-debate over stats and scores that adds nothing except bickering over numbers, critics-as-shills or other tedious topics. Rather than, you know, talking about the movie; easier to play Popcorn Pokemon I guess.

Rant over, but the forum has really dipped in terms of quantitive chit-chat IMO

Part of the reason why I rarely post these days, discussion is more often than not ignored in favor of petty squallbling over how all critics are either shills or
    pretentious arses. Post after post about ratings from fans vs critics and so on is just boring.

Christmas may be quiet in the cinema, but the new Don Hertzfeldt film is out in a few days so a sort of balance has been restored. If it's half as good as episode one, it'll be a masterpiece.

https://twitter.com/donhertzfeldt/status/943561953779310594

Part of the reason why I rarely post these days, discussion is more often than not ignored in favor of petty squallbling over how all critics are either shills or
    pretentious arses. Post after post about ratings from fans vs critics and so on is just boring.

Yeah, exactly, the appeal of posting here is lessening for me and bluntly, it's the constant blather over aggregator scores that's putting me off big-time. Why even both trying to engage in the forum if my thoughts are just bookended by squabbles over a f*cking percentage point?

A new release? Oh, gotta post the metacritic scores. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is the squabbling over scores happening in other non-SW threads as well?

Is the squabbling over scores happening in other non-SW threads as well?

I've no specific examples to hand and honestly, I doubt any thread has been as bickery as the Last Jedi one has been :D but by & large I've observed most mainstream / blockbuster films throughout the year have attracted scoring chat of some kind - especially if the reviews skew negative. The Various DC films, Jurassic World etc.

Even smaller threads & films seem to attract it by default now: I'm just looking at the 'Bright' thread, and sure enough the conversation has already turned towards the aggregator score. I'm sure it won't descend to Last Jedi levels, but it's depressing that that's where the chat immediately goes.

Now, I'm not naive and I appreciate that metacritic et al have democratised film discussion in many respects and it's a stark reality of media critiquing today, but I just can't shake the sense that it it doesn't create any actual meaningful discussion on the forum; the opposite in-fact, sliding the topic into the aforementioned critic-bashing or conspiracy peddling.

Like I said, I've no hard figures and mostly just having a moan :) but maybe if I'm not merely whining in a vacuum it's worth taking into account how the forum approaches metacritic score discussion ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Recently listened to a Vox interview with Nora Twomey who runs Cartoon Saloon. Haven't seen any of their work. She's also part of this THR roundtable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Recently listened to a Vox interview with Nora Twomey who runs Cartoon Saloon. Haven't seen any of their work. She's also part of this THR roundtable.

Song of the Seas is a brilliant film. Don't really remember Book of Kells but they're both ****ing gorgeous to look at.

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Song of the Seas is a brilliant film. Don't really remember Book of Kells but they're both ****ing gorgeous to look at.

Book of Kells doesn't have the same strength of story as Song of the Sea. It is much more a visual thing with a very simple story. SotS is a wonderful mix of Irish myth and legend and culture and when I saw it in the cinema I was actually a bit overwhelmed by it at one point it made me cry.

Advertisement