Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,644 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

David S Goyer rebooting Hellraiser he has signed on to write and produce.

This looks quite good and an interesting way to make a life story film/documentary/docufilm.

And John DeLorean is one hell of an interesting man with one hell of an interesting life story.

Mel Gibson is remaking The Wild Bunch, Michael Fassbender, Jamie Foxx and Peter Dinklage are all in talks to join the cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

He really ought not to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like Rotten Tomatoes are re-jigging their score again: this time such that only scores from those who can prove they saw the film will count (in the final score); sounds convoluted but honestly, in principle that's a fair enough ask.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/rotten-tomatoes-audience-scores-verified-fandango-ticket-buyers-1203224424/

• Advertisement

The latest remake in the works is Scrooged with Kevin Hart producing and starring in.

Please stop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Man, is it just me or has the summer fare this year been particularly underwhelming compared to others?

4 Marvel films (3 MCU + the X-Men; heck it's technically 5 if you could MiB), and the rest being pretty "meh"; no outright stinkers I suppose, but the whole stable so far has felt particularly disappointing. Endgame was the best of the lot so far, but for me that was more of a 'series finale' to a show I've been watching the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭El Duda

pixelburp wrote: »
    Man, is it just me or has the summer fare this year been particularly underwhelming compared to others?

Angry Birds 2 isn't even out yet

Haha, oh god.

The third MCU film is out in a couple of weeks and I just couldn't be bothered; Endgame has kinda overstimulated my palette for the series, and that' speaking as someone broadly supportive of it until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭sacamano

IFI Refurb

I see the IFI are looking for a few quid to finish off the funding for a refurbishment of Screen 1 later this year.
    The refurbishment plan will incorporate brand-new premium seats, extended leg room, new carpets and acoustic panelling

Haven't been to the IFI in over a year (hate Screen 1 and Screen 2 is falling apart) but shame that they're not fixing the entire seating plan instead of putting in some premium seats. And maybe it's just me but the air con (if there even is any) needed fixing. Any more than 50 people in that room and it gets a bit stuffy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Watching speed, enjoying the nostalgia.

But less people would prob of died had Keanu just let the bus explode.

It Ploughs through the city, we don’t know how many injuries or deaths come from that. When they get off the bus the leave it to drive wherever it wants in La Airport and it could of ended up killing hundreds had it not ploughed into a commercial jet. Like he jumped off a bus with a bomb and left it to go wherever! And then when he’s tying to get into the train station he shoots in a door that has innocent people fleeing away. How did he not shoot a few of them!!

And then he’s just the unlukiest guy in the world. Finally gets the bus to a freeway that’s not being used and it’s not finished. Then he gets stuck on a train on a track that isn’t finished so he speeds the train up to derail it. With absolutely no idea if there are any innocent people in other carriages and the train ploughs through a building site onto the Main Street.

I must add , none of this affected my enjoyment. Keanu saved the girl so it was all worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Drumpot wrote: »
    I must add , none of this affected my enjoyment. Keanu saved the girl so it was all worth it.

More importantly he had the sense not to come back for the sequel which I've never seen but have heard is truly awful. The podcast Film Stories just did an episode on Speed which is worth a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 29,090 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down.

I've said before that it's mad how often films and tv shows have loads of people dying just to save 1 person

The most recent Die Hard was a pretty 'good' example of this; our hero John McClane, crushing and smashing occupied cars on the Moscow highway, killing dozens.

Arguably Avengers: Endgame was also an example, when you backed away from the character drama, Stark put his doe-eyed daughter ahead of the global catastrophe of billions of people blinking out of existence (and millions more presumably dying from the wars, famine and chaos caused by those people evaporating).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

This American Life replayed an episode recently, 'Random Acts of History' - I'd not heard it before. Basically, a bunch of high school kids were taken to see Schindler's List, back in the day. They were asked to leave after an hour and this all blew up in the media, etc. They were a bit ignorant, but probably a little young for it. Thought the show covered it well. https://www.thisamericanlife.org/644/random-acts-of-history

I mentioned this in TV, the Dick Cavett Show is an old US talk shot that started popping up on Youtube.

This just appeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^

I watch Dick Cavett all the time on YouTube. Never saw it when it was on tele of course. Too young and not American. But, he was a really fine interviewer and actually talked to guests. The people he had on are fascinating too. It's great to see the various personalities, a lot of whom are dead now.

Unlike today, where US chat shows -and those this side of the pond too - are now merely vehicles for flogging shit.

If there is one thing I despise about modern times, it's that everything is an empty marketing tool. Soulless and worthless. Even most movies are just long adverts now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

THR do roundtables, usually around awards season. They can be pretty good, but it depends on who the host is. Stephen Galloway always gets stick in the comments for interrupting. They don't really go past the hour, I wish they'd just post the full thing without editing and the questions tend to be kinda fairly similar. But yes, old school chat shows are largely dead re the art of conversation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ That is the coolest thing I've seen in a while. :)

Tony EH wrote: »
    ^

I watch Dick Cavett all the time on YouTube. Never saw it when it was on tele of course. Too young and not American. But, he was a really fine interviewer and actually talked to guests. The people he had on are fascinating too. It's great to see the various personalities, a lot of whom are dead now.

Unlike today, where US chat shows -and those this side of the pond too - are now merely vehicles for flogging shit.

If there is one thing I despise about modern times, it's that everything is an empty marketing tool. Soulless and worthless. Even most movies are just long adverts now.

Cavett's show is on Amazon in some form. Not sure if it's restricted to the UK, though.
    Included with Shout! Factory TV on Amazon for £2.99/month after trial

• Advertisement

Things I didn't know about Sergio Leone movies: apparently the score was played on set while the actors emoted. I knew temp. music is often used by directors in the editing room, but never thought they'd actually use it during shooting. I can see the thinking behind it...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I wonder was George Lucas playing John Williams during this scene... otherwise was this really what was happening...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,343 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Rob Reiner directed it.

William Goldman adapted the screenplay from his own book.

'da f*ck is Norman Lear!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Rob Reiner directed it.

William Goldman adapted the screenplay from his own book.

'da f*ck is Norman Lear!?
    He was a producer on it. Bizarre to attribute the movie to him. Sid Sheinberg's Jaws, anyone?

In all the myriad of Think Pieces, write-ups, retrospectives, praise, reviews - and even the occasional criticism - of The Princess Bride, I've never read the name Norman Lear. Bizarre attribution to use there.

It's like writing about "John Peters' 1989 Batman film"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Dades wrote: »
    I wonder was George Lucas playing John Williams during this scene... otherwise was this really what was happening...

Star Wars was heavily temp tracked with Holst, Dvorak etc, which Williams based his score on. So it's quite likely Lucas shot that scene knowing more or less what the music would be like, though I doubt he actually played it on set.

Another reboot in the works WB look like they are rebooting New Jack City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Shamelessly stealing this one from Reddit, but not sure if this is quite worthy of it's own thread.

Some movies just have fantastic opening scenes and 28 Weeks Later is up there with the best of them. Video below is obviously NSFW

While the movie itself wasn't nearly as good as 28 Days Later, I remember seeing this one in the cinema and the opening really got my heart racing.

Advertisement