Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,090 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I guess when you look at it as how much would it cost to bring a couple kids to see Trolls World Tour, you get to save money and watch at home. Or a couple going to a film?
    Also they'll make a bit of money before it gets pirated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I guess when you look at it as how much would it cost to bring a couple kids to see Trolls World Tour, you get to save money and watch at home. Or a couple going to a film?
    Also they'll make a bit of money before it gets pirated.

Fair enough, that's a good point.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

FunLover18 wrote: »
    That's ridiculous money for one film. Good luck to them.

I think the cinema in the US is ridiculously expensive anyway? A quick Google gives me a chain claiming to have the most reasonably priced tickets and they were $13.50 - $16.50 depending on the film. Two adults going to a new release in the evening would be looking at $30+just for tickets, add in snacks/drinks and you're talking the guts of $50

Edit - WB are releasing Birds of Prey early too, they're saying $19.99 but that's to buy, with rental coming in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭El Duda

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I guess when you look at it as how much would it cost to bring a couple kids to see Trolls World Tour, you get to save money and watch at home.

That's all well and good in theory, but the reality is...

The big screen experience will be completely lost. Where the kids may usually have been completely immersed and entertained for a couple of hours, they are now fidgeting and distracted easily. Before you know it, both kids have lost interest and have starting painting the fridge. Meanwhile, you've just wasted £20 on a film that no one has any interest in finishing/watching again.

Do not underesitmate the power of the big screen.

Oh, I wasn't defending the price. Just giving possible reasoning I saw elsewhere. :)

• Advertisement

Birds of Prey and Bloodshot also getting early releases.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Phil on Chillpak Hollywood Hour (podcast) really championed this article by Scott Feinberg on Ashley Boone Jr. Frustrating how he was treated. Worth a read in general and if you're a SW fan.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/he-was-star-wars-secret-weapon-why-was-he-forgotten-1275211

• Registered Users Posts: 60,645 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Drive in's are making a comeback.
    On Tuesday. March 24th, Retro Drive-In at Leopardstown will present an entire day of al fresco flicks including Peppa Pig, the original version of The Lion King, Mrs Brown’s Boys D’Movie and — a perfectly chosen film set in the drive-in era — Dirty Dancing. Also in the repertoire are The Greatest Showman, Joker, Paddington and The Goonies.

On Friday, March 27th, The Pop-Up Drive in Movie Theatre, a competing venture, will be screening The Dark Knight at the Balbriggan Car Boot Sale.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/coronavirus-has-the-drive-in-movie-finally-found-its-moment-1.4209973?fbclid=IwAR0mFH_0QK3FgLeZR9NkOzgQD-p7OBJ3DHQgMy0cNwlJ__AE9LkO23B9-34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

Just watching The owl and the pussycat. 1970. On Sony classic.
    More funny dialogue in 10 min s than most entire modern films.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Oh man, I'm not even a film student but would absolutely love to watch that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

lalababa wrote: »
    Just watching The owl and the pussycat. 1970. On Sony classic.
    More funny dialogue in 10 min s than most entire modern films.

Sony Classic Movies has a very decent roster - the Wind and the Lion is on right now. Who wouldn't want to watch Sean Connery as a Saharan Berber who creates an international incident.

And I just learned M Night Shyamalan wrote She's All That. I guess it's to be expected with the shocking twist that
    she was hot with her hair down and not wearing glasses

Also when googling M Night Shyamalan Labor of Love, the google description reads
    These beautiful hard hat lesbians are so skilled at what they do you won't need any other recommendations after watching how they work to know that they'd be perfect for any building or erection jobs you have in mind.

I'm guessing a different film

• Registered Users Posts: 18,344 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's an utterly trivial thing to angst about, but in some ways the thin end of the wedge thing too. Disney are famous for simply decided films don't exist anymore (Song of the South), or "vaulting" others to control release. That they're now doctoring former Fox films feels excessively hands-on. They'll be airbrushing out cigerettes, or full scenes that aren't "on brand" next.

Though it's America: you can have xenomorph aliens rip people to literal shreds, entrails flying everywhere, but good lord - don't curse, and don't make people think sex exists!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's an utterly trivial thing to angst about, but in some ways the thin end of the wedge thing too. Disney are famous for simply decided films don't exist anymore (Song of the South), or "vaulting" others to control release. That they're now doctoring former Fox films feels excessively hands-on. They'll be airbrushing out cigerettes, or full scenes that aren't "on brand" next.

Though it's America: you can have xenomorph aliens rip people to literal shreds, entrails flying everywhere, but good lord - don't curse, and don't make people think sex exists!
    It looks daft, and serves no purpose other than in service of a degree of puritanism that finds a brief glimpse of swimwear offensive. I think there are good reasons to push back against that fringe dictating societal norms.

This stuff would matter a good deal less if copyright wasn't in the ludicrous state it's in, not least because of the predatory manipulation of the law by Disney. Splash would have made about 99% of its eventual profits in the first five years after it was released, but so the Mouse can squeeze those last few dollars out of it, it will remain artificially out of the public domain until long after I'm dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

At first I thought it was a harmless edit but my second thought was that it was a harmless butt. Humanity's fear of our own bodies never ceases to amaze me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

On a slightly related topic, does anyone know if Disney has any plans for all the non-PG stuff they acquired with the Fox buyout? Obviously they're not going to show it on Disney+ so I'm assuming they'll just lease out the licenses to other streaming services?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    On a slightly related topic, does anyone know if Disney has any plans for all the non-PG stuff they acquired with the Fox buyout? Obviously they're not going to show it on Disney+ so I'm assuming they'll just lease out the licenses to other streaming services?

They have hulu in the US for non-pg stuff, who knows for the rest of us.

• Advertisement

megaten wrote: »
    They have hulu in the US for non-pg stuff, who knows for the rest of us.
    Ah, didn't know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭p to the e

A video popped up on youtube recommended for me. Even if you haven't seen the film it's an interesting watch to see what can go wrong during a production.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Pierce Brosnan did a watch along of Goldeneye the last day, if anyone is into that kind of thing.

Nice to see him fiddle with the play button at the start, like a normal human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,645 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hollywood can never again use the heroic American President who saves the world again in there films when now in reality we know an actual real American President suggested injecting bleach as a cure for a worldwide pandemic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No, but can you imagine the biopics coming? Both official and "changed enough of the details to avoid a lawsuit" versions? Wonder who'll put on the weight and spray tan to get their Oscar for the first contender?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

pixelburp wrote: »
    No, but can you imagine the biopics coming? Both official and "changed enough of the details to avoid a lawsuit" versions? Wonder who'll put on the weight and spray tan to get their Oscar for the first contender?

I can see one in the style of I, Tonya. You're never quite sure what's real and what's made up and then at the end you see the real video footage and yes, there's the president of the United States asking if people should just be drinking Dettol for breakfast.

I was going to say Brendan Gleeson was already signed up to play him, but a quick Google reveals that's in a mini-series.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,299 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Hollywood can never again use the heroic American President who saves the world again in there films when now in reality we know an actual real American President suggested injecting bleach as a cure for a worldwide pandemic.

Hollywood/America were already on dodgy ground, President wise, long before Donald Trump miraculously got the job.

This technically concerns a play, but feck it, some of ye might be interested....

The National Theatre's official YouTube channel will be streaming recordings of Danny Boyle's production of Frankenstein between 30th April and 8th May. Jonny Lee Miller and Benedict Cumberbatch alternate playing the roles of the Doctor and the Creature.
    See Benedict Cumberbatch play the creature and Jonny Lee Miller as Victor Frankenstein from 7pm UK time on Thursday 30 April. Available until 7pm UK time on Thursday 7 May.

See Jonny Lee Miller play the creature and Benedict Cumberbatch as Victor Frankenstein from 7pm UK time on Friday 1 May. Available until 7pm UK time on Friday 8 May.

• Advertisement

Saw it in the cinema with Johnny as the creature. I was curious to see Benedict's portrayal so must watch that

Advertisement