Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It probably will be one of the major superhero films alright used to push subs towards there streaming sites.

The only thing with HBO Max is it’s limited to North America for now till it starts its worldwide roll out next year.

True; I suppose though are we walking global release or regional? By all accounts, it seems like the rest of the world will have shaken off CoVid sooner than the US so perhaps WB will reflect this; HBO release in the US, cinemas the rest of the world.

Beyond the superhero flicks I can't see what might make a good candidate for online release.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,645 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

pixelburp wrote: »
    True; I suppose though are we walking global release or regional? By all accounts, it seems like the rest of the world will have shaken off CoVid sooner than the US so perhaps WB will reflect this; HBO release in the US, cinemas the rest of the world.

Beyond the superhero flicks I can't see what might make a good candidate for online release.

Death on the Nile & Free Guy are both still down for December they might jump.

Apple, Netflix & Amazon might throw some money at non blockbusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Death on the Nile & Free Guy are both still down for December they might jump.

Apple, Netflix & Amazon might throw some money at non blockbusters.

I could see Disney testing the cinema waters with Free Guy, Ryan Reynolds film that's a carry over from Fox.

Mulan is reported to have made close to $300m for Disney that was during the worldwide full lockdown.

Christmas might just be the time to try one more when families are all at home togther.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm interested to see what happens with awards seasons too. Will they change eligibility rules, or are we looking at Birds of Prey vs Sonic The Hedgehog for best film?

• Advertisement

Mission Impossible 7 is still due for release next month.

Bumping it would also bump 8 which is due to release November 2022.

I'm interested to see what happens with awards seasons too. Will they change eligibility rules, or are we looking at Birds of Prey vs Sonic The Hedgehog for best film?

Will Smith Best Actor, Martin lawrence Best Supporting.

Mission Impossible 7 is still due for release next month.

Bumping it would also bump 8 which is due to release November 2022.

Next month?? I think you're confused, it's 2021, they're still filming.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Next month?? I think you're confused, it's 2021, they're still filming.

Ye just noticed that seeing I'm just looking at so many films being moved from 2020/2021/2022 are all blurring into one.

List of them here.

https://www.vulture.com/2020/10/here-are-all-the-movies-and-tv-shows-affected-by-coronavirus.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭p to the e

Mulan is reported to have made close to $300m for Disney that was during the worldwide full lockdown.

Christmas might just be the time to try one more when families are all at home togther.

But with an estimated budget of €200 million and not forgetting marketing costs they'd be lucky to break even. One good thing about the push to Disney+ is they don't have to split it with the cinemas.

• Advertisement

p to the e wrote: »
    But with an estimated budget of €200 million and not forgetting marketing costs they'd be lucky to break even. One good thing about the push to Disney+ is they don't have to split it with the cinemas.

Then take into account the amount of new people that signed up to Disney+ to watch it and then stayed on as paying members. Disney will do alright right out of the release as it it also got a cinema release in parts of the world as well making another $70m.

It might not have been a a half billion or more box office hit there would have hoped for however in a global pandemic it's not a bad return at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

Do movie studios make more off cinema releases or DVDs/streaming?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sakana wrote: »
    Do movie studios make more off cinema releases or DVDs/streaming?

It entirely depends what kind of film we're talking about. Big 250 million dollar blockbusters exist primarily to garner box office success - especially with China as a newer hungry market for filler. Hence why blockbusters haven't simply pivoted to online streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

pixelburp wrote: »
    It entirely depends what kind of film we're talking about. Big 250 million dollar blockbusters exist primarily to garner box office success - especially with China as a newer hungry market for filler. Hence why blockbusters haven't simply pivoted to online streaming.

Yeah, I mean commercial films. I just don't see how it works. I wonder what cut the streamers take as opposed to the cinemas (or do the cinemas buy the rights to the films? I suppose they do).

Still, if the studios released their films on streaming platforms they own, surely they'd see the bulk of that €8/€10 go into their coffers.

Disney are putting Soul on Disney Plus instead of pushing it's cinema date again. They're not doing like Mulan though and charging extra for it. It's just going to be on the service from Christmas Day

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The Dick Cavett show coming through, once again.

Tremors Making Perfection documentary will be on the Tremors YouTube Channel from Friday.

The Tremors TV Series is also on the Channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

There's a couple I still need to watch. I'm sure they're bad though. Watched the series as it aired.
    Was that Ariana Richards, aka Lex from Jurassic Park, at the 20 sec mark of the documentary trailer? I know she was the wee girl in Tremors

Fred Ward isn't in it by the looks of it. Kevin Bacon needs the money

Was that not Fred looking like an old Bryan Cranston?

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was that not Fred looking like an old Bryan Cranston?

Watched the trailer again and I know who you're talking about but 99% sure that's not Fred. What I did notice second time around was Jamie Kennedy. He looks awful.

Looks like that's SS Wilson I was referring to. Seems to have released early. Or maybe it was last Friday it was due

Will watch it later

Forgive me if there is a more appropriate place to ask this but I checked and couldn't see one....

I'm wondering is there a difference between Apple TV and Apple TV Plus?

I was hoping to get to see Cartoon Saloon's new film, Wolfwalkers, in the cinema in November, but given I'm living in a one of the lucky level 4 counties this seems highly unlikely. It's streaming on Apple Plus from December, and I literally have no idea about that particular streaming service, except than on JustWatch they have two separate listings for Apple TV.

Forgive me if there is a more appropriate place to ask this but I checked and couldn't see one....

I'm wondering is there a difference between Apple TV and Apple TV Plus?

I was hoping to get to see Cartoon Saloon's new film, Wolfwalkers, in the cinema in November, but given I'm living in a one of the lucky level 4 counties this seems highly unlikely. It's streaming on Apple Plus from December, and I literally have no idea about that particular streaming service, except than on JustWatch they have two separate listings for Apple TV.

AppleTV+ is Apple’s own subscription service for their TV series and Movies that they have made or bought the rights too it’s €4.99 a month.

Without + is just iTunes where you can buy or rent movies.

Apple TV+ is basically Apples version of Netflix or Prime.

AppleTV+ is Apple’s own subscription service for their TV series and Movies that they have made or bought the rights too it’s €4.99 a month.

Without + is just iTunes where you can buy or rent movies.

Apple TV+ is basically Apples version of Netflix or Prime.

Ahhh, that makes sense. And explains why one service had way better content than the other.

Bruce Campbell is writing The Evil Dead 4 and will be directing it himself supported by Sam Raimi.

However he won't be returning as Ash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

He really must be struggling financially

That was kinda sad to watch. But hey, by all accounts Willis appeared to be a pain to deal with, now mostly slumming it in Z movies he'd sleepwalk through so doesn't surprise either he might appear in an advert.

• Advertisement

Advertisement