Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

This is quite sad. By all accounts she was about to have a breakout moment in Triangle of Sadness

• Registered Users Posts: 15,921 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I see Vue have updated there settings arrangements in the screens and changed there prices too.

It used to be just 6 Euro everyday for the standard seats , 8 Euro for the VIP seats and 11 Euro I think for the Recliner seats but that's all changed now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah Akiva Goldsman. Such a great writer of naturalistic, realistic dialogue. 🙄🤭

That is a surprise. Weirdly though, it had popped up in conversation a lot lately in some podcasts I listen to; it's like it was ordained. Either way wouldn't have said the film was that fondly remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,547 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So Constantine with a beard.

I love Keanu however Keanu without the beard as seen in Bill & Ted 3 looks all his 58 years of age and by the time this hits the screen he will be 60 at least.

• Advertisement

Some serious reports over the last week that Comcast owners of NBCUniversal are looking at buying WarnerBros/Discovery and merging the two.

Discovery after buying out Warners now are having serious financial troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Hold on.. so the ultimate move then is from being owned by Mobile Phone company AT&T .. to Phone Company Comcast?

I .. eh.. yeah ok.. I'm sure there's something to read into it.. some kinda business sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

There's another Cloverfield movie in the works although it's not known if it will be an actual sequel/prequel to the original, or a loose tie in like the good Cloverfield Lane, or abysmal Cloverfield Paradox. The fact it's being directed by Babak Anvari (Under the Shadow) and written by Joe Barton (The Ritual) makes me think it won't be a big budget kaiju movie, but a smaller scale, more psychological affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

This scumbag got life for the murder of his mother in Vancouver. He also had plots to kill Canadian PM Justin Trudeau and people who attended the Simon Fraser University as well. What a sick and depraved individual. I hope he rots in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,180 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Jesus...he has the face of a 10 year old kid. Some deep, deep, crap going on there.

Chilling stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Actually watched it again recently and it's a decent little movie. Certainly measures up to the majority of comic book adaptations.

I presume it's the netflix Sandman buzz that's moved it along.

Came across this band earlier and they have a song called War of The Buttons and all the lyrics are just quotes from the film, War of the Buttons. I've been listening to it on repeat for about half an hour now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm sure a film made and released within a months of the trial ending will be thoroughly researched and of the highest quality.

Then again, i suppose they had plenty of the script already with court transcripts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

First look at "Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes";

I'm very sceptical of it getting anywhere near the quality of the reboot trilogy (especially if Reeves and Serkis aren't to be involved) but I'd welcome it a hell of a lot quicker than more watered down dino-piss from Trevorrow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Its not like he's the only working hack in Hollywood, but I don't think there's a hack inexplicably working this high up the food chain as Trevorrow is. Wish he'd bog off at this stage.

On a totally different tangent: I mentioned it in passing elsewhere and been meaning to share (though doubtless had been before): if anyone ever doubts the point of star power, or indeed the idea that not all remakes are inherently bad, compare...

With its remake

• Registered Users Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

A quiet place getting a spin off.

I guess this is the next Universe being created a TV series can't be far behind.

‘A Quiet Place: Day One’ At Paramount Taps Lupita Nyong’o To Star

As she readies to make her return to the Marvel Cinematic Universe in Black Panther: Wakanda ForeverLupita Nyong’o is looking to make the jump to another popular franchise: Sources tell Deadline that she is in final negotiations to star in Paramount’s A Quiet Place: Day One. The spinoff will be directed and written by Pig helmer Michael Sarnoski.

Not much more is known about this project other than it not being a threequel but rather a spinoff, based on an idea from John Krasinski, who directed and starred in the first two films. The hope is this film will help set up a potential Quiet Place universe that the studio can build on for years to come. It also is known that, while not out of the question, Emily Blunt and Krasinski likely won’t reprise their roles in this installment. The film is set to bow on March 8, 2024.

The original franchise is currently developing the third film, with Krasinski returning to direct that pic, which is set to bow sometime in 2025........

Well, good to know as much as Hollywood changes, it's urge to drive every good, successful Idea into the ground hasn't ebbed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Okay, stupid question, but here we go. Where is good to buy DVDs these days, specifically the 4k variety

I know, WTF is a DVD anyway, this is what the internet is for. I got rid of most of my DVD collection a few years back at the height of streaming

But there's a bunch of films that I always come back to, and I'm fed up with having to sign up to different streaming services because they've locked in a particular studio

So anyway, back to the old disc versions for me...

Here's the problem, there doesn't seem to be many shops that sell a lot of DVDs these days. Best I could think of was Golden Discs but someone has filled it with vinyl records. HMV and all went out of business years ago

There's always the local Tesco, but the selection is limited

Amazon seems the obvious answer, but they're pretty pricey. Any other shops that anyone can recommend?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Depends what you’re looking for. There are a few Golden Discs about, but their selection is mainly just the most mainstream studio fare. Tower Records in Dublin still has a good and varied selection, and the IFI Shop has a decent library of discs to buy.

Online is usually the way to go though. Amazon, evil as they are, is still the main place to get them. If you’re looking for DVDs or Blus from the boutique labels, however, it’s often worth going through the label’s own site - Arrow Video, for example, has a good selection in its web store and they often have good sales. Only thing is Brexit means you might get stung with a customs charge when ordering from the UK.

CeX? Not sure how diverse their collection is, or how pricey they are. Zavvi have an Irish site but I'm pretty sure everything comes from the UK still.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Thanks guys, I probably wouldn't be looking for anything beyond mainstream Hollywood. There's a few films which I think are visually impressive enough they deserve the 4k viewing, otherwise I probably won't bother

On a side note, 4k films seem to have gone up in price over the past few years. I'm guessing that streaming has eroded sales enough that the old economy of scale doesn't apply anymore

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

There is a new French action movie on Prime Video called OVERDOSE - two cops investigating a “go-fast lined to the murder of two teenagers”.

What is a “go-fast”?

A robbery of a moving cash security truck?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,369 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That description is like similar plot to this Franco-Belgian film I just watched last night on Prime!

it is listed as "Above the Law" and as Tueurs.

(action scenes were very well done, but plot itself was over complicated \ convoluted)

But maybe "go fast" means this...

A drug gang that imports hashish from Morocco using the "Go Fast" method. A fleet of high-powered speedboats and cars races across the Mediterranean to Spain

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1179855/

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Just reading there that Marcel The Shell With Shoes on has been deemed eligible for the best Animated Feature category at the Oscars. Which is interesting. Potentially 3 stop motion nominees? And a slightly bigger chance at Disney and/or Pixar being shut out completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I haven't been following it but I know there was controversy when Linklater's Apollo 10½ was deemed ineligible.

• Advertisement

Oh it's also been deemed eligible now. I personally do not like that style of animation, but who knows what the academy will go for. Plus he's a known name, like GDT. I can't remember if it's just the animation guild that decides nominations or if everyone gets to. It was one thing, but they changed it, but they might have changed it back? Not sure. But it'll be interesting to see what the nominations end up being. Lightyear, Turning Red, Strange New World could still all get in and make it a bog standard set of nominations.

Advertisement