Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I haven’t got around to Fargo season 2 yet, but I find most tv shows very inconsistent visually. For every brilliantly directed episode of Mad Men there was a dozen bland ones.

Fargo 2 counters this by having a lot visual motifs - some very unusual - running throughout the series. Some episodes and scenes are inevitably more interesting than others, but for the most part it's a brilliantly shot piece of work. Strongly narrative-motivated camera movement, recurrent images and consistently unexpected framing are the orders of the day, alongside the aforementioned series-long stylistic decisions. When you do get around to it, the AV Club Polite Fight video series on it is well worth a look, with John Teti and another staffer breaking down and discussing a number of key shots per episode.

The Returned was mentioned above, actually found season two of that quite uninspiring compared to the much more atmospheric and visually chilly (in a good way) first :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've only watched about half of Fargo s1 yet, I was struck by its cinematic feel, though.

Friday Night Lights had a 3 camera affair going on, iirc.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Friday Night Lights had a 3 camera affair going on, iirc.

They had 3 cameras, no rehearsal and no blocking of scenes. They were given a fair bit of freedom with the scripts too. The actors were allowed do what felt natural to them and the camera operators were trained to follow the actors rather than shoot from certain angles or anything like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It'd make you wonder why having 3 is not more widely used.

It'd make you wonder why having 3 is not more widely used.

Even if a scene is meticulously blocked out you'd think 3 cameras would offer more choice of shot from one take thus saving time in the long run. Sitcoms tend to use multiple cameras, don't they?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I always associate multi-camera setups with television, especially in dialogue scenes. Feels very un-cinematic when used in movies. You can nearly always tell as well. Long lenses, the way the action is centered, the flat lighting and just the feeling of less attention being paid to the shot.

I always associate multi-camera setups with television, especially in dialogue scenes. Feels very un-cinematic when used in movies. You can nearly always tell as well. Long lenses, the way the action is centered, the flat lighting and just the feeling of less attention being paid to the shot.

Why's that, aside from what you outlined - less technical competence?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No, television is very technically accomplished these days. But there's more to being cinematic than having good production values. It's a certain approach to visual form and aesthetics. TV is more dialogue-driven, less abstract, less inclined to compress time or feel dreamlike without literally being a dream. That doesn't mean television is bad for not being more like cinema. They are just different mediums. Television uses the tried-and-tested methods that work for the kind of stories it's telling and that's okay. But when those same methods are used in movies... they feel jarring.

Don't know if you guys ever tune into these roundtables from the Hollywood Reporter.

Straight into it with pay for women. They also address Star Wars and some recent flops.

Here's the one with directors. Unfortunately, the host is Stephen Galloway, who based on last year's videos, is fuppin' awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

No, television is very technically accomplished these days. But there's more to being cinematic than having good production values. It's a certain approach to visual form and aesthetics. TV is more dialogue-driven, less abstract, less inclined to compress time or feel dreamlike without literally being a dream. That doesn't mean television is bad for not being more like cinema. They are just different mediums. Television uses the tried-and-tested methods that work for the kind of stories it's telling and that's okay. But when those same methods are used in movies... they feel jarring.
    There's also a more made by committee approach to TV whereas cinema (the best of it anyway) is often more auteurist. Odds are if you're a director who wants to make a scene pop and stand out you'd look for new ways to frame and edit the scene other than just cutting back and forth between 2 people at either end of a table.

Another great Every Frame a Painting vid that ties into this:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

e_e wrote: »

Another great Every Frame a Painting vid that ties into this:

Probably because I linked to it earlier, and Tickle_Me started the TV ball rolling in reply ;)

pixelburp wrote: »
    Probably because I linked to it earlier, and Tickle_Me started the TV ball rolling in reply ;)

We have come fill circle :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

With all the talk about the gargantuan box office take of Force Awakens, I thought this an interesting article about the legacy, or lack thereof, of the (potentially) previous holder of the biggest box-office ever: Avatar.

Not sure I share the authors' enduring love for the film - I think its unabashed derivativeness is part of its downfall and how forgettable it is - but it raises some interesting points about it (technically) being an original intellectual property, or how it's probably to blame for the 3D pox we have to endure these days.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/12/18/avatar-became-the-highest-grossing-film-of-all-time-while-leaving-no-pop-culture-footprint/

It's funny that for all its unique vision and ambition Avatar really is the blandest four-quadrant film making imaginable. It's like the Coldplay of blockbusters.

Funnily enough /filmcast have had an ongoing debate about the cultural relevance of Avatar over the past month or two. When the sequel rolls out I'll be amazed if it does the same money tbh.

Avatar is just a Fern Gully rip off. Nothing original about it.

Avatar is just a Fern Gully rip off. Nothing original about it.
    I meant solely in terms of technology. Imagine what a genuinely exciting film it could have been if it didn't hedge its bets so much with the predictable script, boring characters and woeful dialog.

Also Princess Mononoke does the "passive protagonist standing in the middle of a war between nature and industrialization" thing so much better.

tumblr_o149dkTgou1qbhnrvo1_640.jpg

Film Comment's Best of 2015 list

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I almost thought this beauty had gotten lost in the post, but it finally showed up.

bf4f3ebc-e4ec-47b6-9a3a-dc4bb14a88a9.jpg

Insanely lavish - hardcover book, more than a dozen discs... Expensive but really feels like it was worth it (although I paid quite a bit less than the current Amazon asking price :eek:)

Physical media dead? I politely disagree :)

My screening of The Big Short ran late yesterday because the morning press show of Dad's Army was still taking place. The 3 or 4 critics coming out of it didn't seem too pleased. :P

Accidentally flicked over to a Dad's Army episode the other day; its humour is so (intentionally?) quant, innocent & polite, and assuming this unwarranted film maintains the achingly English tone, I can't imagine it washing well with modern sensibilities. Particularly Irish ones. Watching those old episodes, you can practically smell the teacakes and stiff upper lips :D

• Advertisement

Finally a comprehensive exploration of DeCaprios struggles to win an oscar...

http://redcarpetrampage.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Thought this was an excellent list of favourite 2015 movies from Filmspotting:

From here

Adam

The Big Short
    Ex Machina
    45 Years
    Mad Max: Fury Road
    Carol
    While We're Young
    Taxi aka Taxi Tehran
    Spotlight
    Anomalisa
    Tangerine

Josh

Ex Machina
    White God
    Inside Out
    Chi-Raq
    Tangerine
    The Revenant
    Trainwreck
    The Assassin
    It Follows

Michael Phillips

Spotlight
    Anomalisa
    Love & Mercy
    Diary of a Teenage Girl
    Son of Saul
    Carol
    Beasts of No Nation
    Creed
    Heart of a Dog
    Tangerine

Scott Tobias

The Look of Silence
    Phoenix
    Carol
    Brooklyn
    The Assassin
    Heaven Knows What
    It Follows
    The Hateful Eight
    Western

SPECIAL GUESTS - Best movie of 2015

Pt. 1:
    Katey Rich - Son of Saul
    Sean Gilman - The Assassin
    Sam Smith (Best Posters) - Queen of Earth, The Assassin
    Rian Johnson - The Lobster
    Alison Willmore - Mad Max: Fury Road
    Matt Gourley - Sicario
    Peter Labuza - Magic Mike XXL
    Rachel Handler - Mad Max: Fury Road
    David Wain - Spotlight
    Joel Potrykus - Buzzard
    Pt. 2:
    Chris Harris - Clouds of Sils Maria
    Dana Stevens - Carol
    Scott Pfeiffer - Brooklyn
    Tasha Robinson - Inside Out
    Daniel Nava - World of Tomorrow
    Matt Singer - Inside Out
    Chris Klimek - Mad Max: Fury Road
    Melissa Tamminga - 45 Years

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Yo I dug out my old surround sound system and have it up and running on 5.1. Supposed to be 7.1 but there's a cable shortage.

Anyway, I am looking for recommendations for films that have a really good surround sound experience. New or old! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

Hey guys,

just looking for opinions really on what to watch tonight from the below...
    • The Martian
    • Hateful 8
    • Sicario
    • MI: Rouge nation
    • Good Kill
    • Inherent Vice

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Nanoc wrote: »
    Hey guys,

• The Martian
    • Hateful 8
    • Sicario
    • Good Kill
    • Inherent Vice

Thanks!

Go for Hateful 8, the others will leave you feeling underwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Nanoc wrote: »
    Hey guys,

• The Martian
    • Hateful 8
    • Sicario
    • Good Kill
    • Inherent Vice

Thanks!

It's stupid all over, but I had an absolute blast with MI: Rouge Nation. Great blockbuster entertainment.

4K restoration of Seven Samurais coming soon and it looks glorious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

I wish Rene Laloux's Gandahar would be released on blu ray, with the original soundtrack too of course.

Just watching a DP/30 video on Youtube there with Lenny Abrahamson and Ed Guiney and while talking about the day to day stuff at Element Pictures Ed mentions their cinema (The Lighthouse) but then he says they're in the process of opening another one. Anybody know any more about this? Location or time frame?

Those DP/30 videos can be very interesting sometimes. The guy that asks the questions is sometimes a bit annoying but generally he asks a question and then lets the person/people being interviewed talk away for as long as they like.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheHotButton

• Advertisement

Just watching a DP/30 video on Youtube there with Lenny Abrahamson and Ed Guiney and while talking about the day to day stuff at Element Pictures Ed mentions their cinema (The Lighthouse) but then he says they're in the process of opening another one. Anybody know any more about this? Location or time frame?
    Interesting, in place of The Screen maybe?

Advertisement