Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Picture Palace in Galway.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The Picture Palace in Galway.

Is that a definitive answer or are you guessing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is that a definitive answer or are you guessing?

I'm assuming since its opening soon. It can't really be anything else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

With the Screen and Kino gone, this will be only Ireland's third art house cinema, right? Does anyone know if the Royal Cinema in Limerick is still happening?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I was passing the Screen in Dublin on Monday evening and there was some cinema equipment firm's van parked there. The lobby was full of stuff. Sad to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

^stopped reading when she mentioned Silence of the Lambs,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Links234 wrote: »

Both transitioned; is that common? Their body of work has increasingly become nonsensical & indulgent, Jupiter Ascending being their new zeneth, but happy for them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

I seen the trailer for Sing Street yesterday at the cinema.....it looked like everything that makes me cringe about cinema and being irish - but cant wait to see it, looks like fun!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

what are the chances of shunji iwai's latest 'A Bride for Rip Van Winkle' making it over to an irish cinema?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If it does, it will only be festival screenings or a short IFI run, and will almost certainly be a while before and if that happens.

I'd be more optimistic about a Case of Hana and Alice commercial release - hopefully at least a decent DVD & Blu-Ray one. Much more accessible stuff, and the animation makes it an easier sell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

i'd actually forgotten all about that until I went looking at imdb today, it looks fantastic. a good BR release would be welcome alright

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It's not a film, so it lands in off topic, but if you wait two weeks and bulk record them on the BBC I really recommend watching "The Night Manager" in either one 6 hour sitting or two 3 hour sittings.

I'm finding it very enjoyable, I watched the first four last night in one pop and my only regret is not having the next 2 ready to go. But it's not just because I want to know the answers, it's because I wanted to stay immersed in the setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Remember when there were humans in Ice Age

tumblr_inline_nomopqI0wG1rlf2t5_540.jpg

I wonder what they're up to now

Ice-Age-Collision-Course-Official-Trailer-Released-e1450417914657.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Well this is pretty fascinating. HD on a videotape years before blu-ray existed. Who even knew about this?

e_e wrote: »

Well this is pretty fascinating. HD on a videotape years before blu-ray existed. Who even knew about this?

Have read about them and seen a few examples of them but never actually managed to get my hands on one. Always been interested in seeing what the quality was like

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Film 4 +1 1.33 am

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Anyone else encountered this thing in Cineworld where it won't let you book seats with empty seats between yours other reserved seats? Is there a reason or a way around?

Have read about them and seen a few examples of them but never actually managed to get my hands on one. Always been interested in seeing what the quality was like
    This channel showed me VCDs too. Shocking quality!

• Advertisement

e_e wrote: »
    This channel showed me VCDs too. Shocking quality!

Had a few throughout the years, mainly of films that have never get a western release, the quality is junk but for many of them it was the only way to get the films. It was quite common for someone to come back from China with dozens if not hundreds of them stuffed in their luggage

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Flight of the Navigator star Deleriyes Joe Cramer has been charged following a bank robbery.

The 42-year-old was a child star who played the lead role of David in 1986 cult sci-fi classic Flight of the Navigator, where he was credited as Joey Cramer.

Sunshine Coast RCMP arrested Cramer on May 1 following the robbery in Sechelt on April 28.

He has been charged with robbery, disguise with intent to commit an indictable offence, failing to stop for a peace officer, and dangerous operation of a motor vehicle.

landscape-1462541260-flight-of-the-navigator.jpg

gallery-1462541402-joey-cramer.jpg

Just goes to show how it can all go wrong for young stars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Any time Tom Hiddleston wants to pick up a guitar is fine by me.

I find him very unlikable. Not sure what it is.... perhaps the time he was on Graham Norton and kept doing impressions of other actors.

JB Hi-Fi are doing buy one get one free on Blu Ray's at the moment. They're an Australian store but Ireland are in the same region as Australia for Blu Rays and the € is at a decent level against the AUS$.

Problem is they seem to charge delivery on each individual item, BUT at the moment I can get, for example, MacBeth, Glassland, Mad Max Fury Road and The Man from UNCLE for €46.

Is that still good value? Leaving aside your own personal opinions of the films :)

Other films in the same price range include The Martian, Sicario, Black Mass, Everest, Pan, South Paw, Dope, Jurassic World, Slow West etc. etc.

So, yeah... any 4 of those for €46, goof value?

So yeah, this is quite troubling.
    George hoisted me up on top of a plastic picnic table in the middle of the front office and began dry-humping me. He pinned me in place as the table legs scooted back against the wall with his bodily force. The front doors opened, letting the fall chill my exposed skin.

He was laughing. They were all laughing.

I thought there were only five people in the front lobby — a few producers, the production manager, the director, maybe a driver from transportation, a production assistant or two. I remember people saying to me later, when we were alone — not in front of anyone who could fire us — "I can't believe he did that! If we worked anywhere else, he'd be fired."

"Yeah," I said. I thought the same thing.

But none of us did anything about it.

What could I do? I was pretty low on the food chain. And my bosses all saw it. All guffawed. Enjoyed the show. I wasn't a person. I was an expendable.

Source

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Though in fairness, that was Alexander Payne's Election, which was over 17 years ago. Things have probably improved at least a little since then.

So yeah, this is quite troubling.

Itdoesn't take a whole lot of guesswork to realise that the Alexander and George refer to Alexander Payne and George Parra and the film in question is Election.

• Advertisement

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Though in fairness, that was Alexander Payne's Election, which was over 17 years ago. Things have probably improved at least a little since then.

You'd like to think so, but I'd bet there's still some bully boy producers out there who can throw their weight around relatively unchallenged. Mo Ryan has touched on a lot of this in TVland.

Advertisement