Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Residency

Options
  • 08-09-2014 2:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I want to start the process to get my permanent residency this week. I'm sure it's been asked here a million times but what do I need to do? Is there a link to some kind of roadmap?

Cheers,
    Colman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Step one would be to decide which visa you are applying for.
    After that. the path to PR will differ depending on the visa and circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Well my company are going to nominate me for a business sponsored skilled migration visa. That's pretty much all I know at this point..

That would be the 186 visa (or 187 if regional).
    See here http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/186.aspx

Next would be to assess what stream you are applying under. Are you currently on a 457, sponsored by your current employer. Have you been on that visa for more than 2 years, in same role as the PR nomination. If so, you can apply under the transition stream. Basically means you will be exempt from getting a skills assessment. Otherwise it'll be the direct entry stream.

Here's a check list for the process
    http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/checklists/186-applicant.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Cheers man, much appreciated. It's the 186 transition stream I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

I'll soon be eligible to apply for PR via the Temporary Residence Transition stream.

Am I correct in saying that Irish passport holders are exempt from the English language test? Or do I also need to achieve the minimum test score in a language test?

Also, is it best to arrange a medical before I submit my application or should I just submit my application & wait for immi to contact me requesting particular medical examinations?

• Advertisement

I'll soon be eligible to apply for PR via the Temporary Residence Transition stream.

Am I correct in saying that Irish passport holders are exempt from the English language test? Or do I also need to achieve the minimum test score in a language test?

Also, is it best to arrange a medical before I submit my application or should I just submit my application & wait for immi to contact me requesting particular medical examinations?
    Exempt from English test.
    If you are lodging a decision ready application through an agent you'll do the medical before you apply.
    But if it's a normal application you need to wait until they tell you to go for Medicals. As there is a risk that they'll expire if you get them too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Am I correct in saying that Irish passport holders are exempt from the English language test?

Well given the standard of English spoken by some that I've observed here they shouldn't be..... :rolleyes:

Advertisement