Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Data Speeds

Options
  • 08-09-2014 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

I have been with Three for a couple of years now and nearly out of a 24 month contract.
    The Data speeds are incredibly slow. Sometimes unusable.
    What's the best network for data speeds or are they all this unreliable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I presume you're in Dublin? In that case your experience would be pretty much the same on any of the networks.

What model of phone are you using, and are your issues with 3G or 4G? What kind of speeds are you getting at the moment?

You can go into any of the networks shops and pick up a pre-pay sim card to try out the different networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

I get slow speeds everywhere. I live in Meath but work on Dublin. My last 3 speed tests in Dublin have been 0.54, 0.47 & 0.49mbps

I have a Nexus 5 with LTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Vodafone have good coverage and speeds I find, but are hideously expensive. 3 are dirt cheap but rubbish as you know. Meteor seem pretty cheap and are decent value with PAYG offerings. I don't really have a choice tho since ONLY meteor have any signal where I live at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Something not right there unless your in a basement in the middle of some high rise buildings.

No, right beside the window in Kilmainham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

3s network is oversubscribed and riddled with problems - this is not news. Their lack of 2g network is a massive problem despite what their marketing would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

pajodublin wrote: »
    I get slow speeds everywhere. I live in Meath but work on Dublin. My last 3 speed tests in Dublin have been 0.54, 0.47 & 0.49mbps

I have a Nexus 5 with LTE.

You should be seeing some increases in speed along your work commute and depending on the time of day. Those speeds are indeed atrocious. Have you tried your SIM card in another phone?

I'm located in Limerick city and I'm often up to Dublin and down to Cork, and I've never been without 4G coverage for too long on my Nokia Lumia 625.

Have you got the latest software updates for your Nexus to enable the LTE/4G?

I'm just trying to think of ruling out all other options before you go switching networks and run into the same issues again.

I only recently (3 months) changed from a Galaxy S3 and had same problems with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

I'm with tesco mobile - 25 a month for unlimited calls and texts, 15GB data. Consistently get between 8 and 10 Mbps down on 3G (tesco have no 4G unfortunately).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm with three and never really had speed issues. 50Mb in north dublin, 20 on my street in south dublin, 12 in my garden, 7 in my room, 20 in Dublin 1.

If its that low theres something up. Try forcing LTE only and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Coming from meteor to 3 Iv found reception to be crap

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

I'm with Vodafone and their 4G speeds are nearly 70Mb

Advertisement