Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty dogs (and their canine companions)

Options
  • 08-09-2014 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭

So you're walking your pooch(es) along by the river in Dangan. Dogs do what they do do, so you carefully bag the mess.

So far so good.

But then you leave the bags of shyte behind for someone else to clear up.

What's that all about like?

321399.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

I have done this when I know I will be coming back the same way and don't feel like carrying a bag of poop all the way to the end of my walk and back.

But I always pick it up on the way home. Are You sure someone isn't doing that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

That thought had crossed my mind, but I wasn't staying around to find out! :)

Unfortunately the suspicion is that the doggy doo-doo is abandoned, because that is what has occurred elsewhere (eg Cappagh Park).

It's a long time since i walked the river at dangan. But i can say for definite there aren't enough bins in cappagh Park.

4 pitches that are used regularly and a lot of paths used by locals for walking and only 1 bin I can recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

It's a long time since i walked the river at dangan. But i can say for definite there aren't enough bins in cappagh Park.

4 pitches that are used regularly and a lot of paths used by locals for walking and only 1 bin I can recall.

There's no need for bins. People should take their waste home with them.

?Cee?view wrote: »

Really? Everyone should bring all their rubbish home all the time? Why is there 1 bin so. It should be removed.

Or maybe people are less likely to litter and leave bags of dog poo lying around when there are more bins

• Advertisement

Or maybe people are less likely to litter and leave bags of dog poo lying around when there are more bins

Actually there's a school of thought that the opposite is the case. There's a newish park in Dungarvan where no bins were included, expressly so people woudl take their waste home. At the end of the day, it encourages people to be responsible with the waste they produce; nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

What a ridiculous statement. This park would be a lot cleaner if there were more bins. It is a great public amenity which should be better serviced by the relevant authorities.

gandroid wrote: »
    What a ridiculous statement. This park would be a lot cleaner if there were more bins. It is a great public amenity which should be better serviced by the relevant authorities.

In your opinion...

I'll stick to mine whereby people are responsible for the waste they produce. I don't expect others to clear up after me in public. Have a look at this; you might learn that there are other points of view to yours.

www.leavenotraceireland.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

In your opinion...

I'll stick to mine whereby people are responsible for the waste they produce. I don't expect others to clear up after me in public. Have a look at this; you might learn that there are other points of view to yours.

www.leavenotraceireland.org/

Thanks for the link.

It is food for thought for sure but as far as I am aware this policy is not being implemented in Cappagh Park as things stand? Although a noble idea, I believe it is wishful thinking to expect the general public not to litter in the absence of bins. This mindset runs deep and not everybody is as well educated and responsible as each other. Unfortunately, even when bins are present, certain people will choose not to use them some of the time. I agree that we need to change our whole mindset and educate people about personal responsibility and not just when it comes to disposing of litter.

At the moment, in the absence of this or an alternative policy, I don't think it is realistic to suggest that a park as large as Cappagh shouldn't have adequate litter facilities which would at least enable those who wish to dispose of litter to do so in a responsible manner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Canine excretions everywhere on Christmas Day. It was like playing hopscotch promenading inhaling the sea air.
    Ugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Chips O'Toole

No problem, can I have my taxes reduced accordingly please?

gandroid wrote: »

The park is cleaner with few bins. Here, where there are bins people are bringing bags of trash to the park to leave for council to collect. They put no rubbish in bin at home. At Lidl same thing, people bring trash from home to dump in Lidl bin, and if full, same as the park, leave it beside bin.

People with dog like in OP are probable collecting later, but in my park they hang bag on tree and throw in long grass, not collecting on way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭catgalway

Don't agree with tossing a bag into hedges & esp near the pitches as it was pointed out to me that the kids have to root around for missing balls & stepping on one of those bags would not be a pleasant experience :( ...I actually spotted a Galway Council black bin bag in hedges in Cappagh park today...no idea how or why it's there but that spot is notorious for "doggy bag" dumping so maybe it was forgotten after a clean up!!! The park has 3 bins..1 at the playground,1 outside the community centre & 1 in the Barna woods carpark & I adjust our dog walk according to which bin is closer at that time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

'leaving to collect later'... hmm... there was serial bagger-dumper using the walkway west of Blackrock last year, one day we saw 4 bags (always blue, looked like those scented nappy bags!) in different states of degradation, so not just left soon to be picked up by returning dumper. can't get my head around their civic-minded logic

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I have done this when I know I will be coming back the same way and don't feel like carrying a bag of poop all the way to the end of my walk and back.

But I always pick it up on the way home. Are You sure someone isn't doing that?

That's not ok. Just because you clean up your littering later doesn't mean you're not littering.

That's like not flushing the toilet after yourself because you will flush it before the next time you use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

GarIT wrote: »
    That's not ok. Just because you clean up your littering later doesn't mean you're not littering.

That's like not flushing the toilet after yourself because you will flush it before the next time you use it.

Someones been caught by the toilet inspector i see.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,558 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So there shouldn't be bins outside shops, supermarkets, pubs, fast food joints etc?

Actually there's a school of thought that the opposite is the case. There's a newish park in Dungarvan where no bins were included, expressly so people woudl take their waste home. At the end of the day, it encourages people to be responsible with the waste they produce; nothing wrong with that.

What a nonsensical way of thinking. Bins provided on streets are something you expect in a civilised society. Our taxes also go towards this. It's totally impractical to expect people to bring their waste home with them in these situations or many others like eating take away, buying lunch out etc etc.

Imagine buying a can of coke an having to carry it with you all day long because of no bins?? People will get fed up and throw it on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

What a nonsensical way of thinking. Bins provided on streets are something you expect in a civilised society.

You won't find street bins in London, for example, because during "The Troubles" they were considered prime spots for bombs to be left.

I often used to see bags of rubbish dumped beside full public bins, and there have been a lot of problems with the glass recycling areas having boxes and bags just left near the bins, or sometimes people would put the bottles into the bins, and then leave their boxes and plastic bags beside the bins.

Eeden wrote: »
    You won't find street bins in London, for example, because during "The Troubles" they were considered prime spots for bombs to be left.

This is true, though there are some bins just not that many and it's an absolute pain in the hole having to go into a shop or fast food place to dispose of rubbish when you can't find a bin.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This is what they do in Belfast
    P1090734-M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Reminds me of the very first hours that my Fiance was in Galway. I was hoping she'd love it. I wanted to bring her to a nice place to eat but nothing was open until around 4. We were by Dominick St and she said she was starving and couldn't wait that long so I brought her into Supremacs for something to tide her over.

While we were waiting, two groups got up and left all of their trays and wrappers on the tables. She was disgusted.

Then we walked out towards Salthill and we had to constantly dodge dog ****e.

She said: "I guess if they don't pick up after themselves, they won't pick up after their dogs."

It made me look at the city with new eyes. The garbage around Nuns Island and dog sh1t around GTI down through to Salthill is embarrassing. Not to mention the general filth and graffiti around the place. A bit of pride in the community would go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Reminds me of the very first hours that my Fiance was in Galway. I was hoping she'd love it. I wanted to bring her to a nice place to eat but nothing was open until around 4. We were by Dominick St and she said she was starving and couldn't wait that long so I brought her into Supremacs for something to tide her over.

While we were waiting, two groups got up and left all of their trays and wrappers on the tables. She was disgusted.

Then we walked out towards Salthill and we had to constantly dodge dog ****e.

She said: "I guess if they don't pick up after themselves, they won't pick up after their dogs."

It made me look at the city with new eyes. The garbage around Nuns Island and dog sh1t around GTI down through to Salthill is embarrassing. Not to mention the general filth and graffiti around the place. A bit of pride in the community would go a long way.
    This was obviously in the 1800s before we had restaurants, cafes and bars that opened for breakfast and lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

snubbleste wrote: »
    This is what they do in Belfast
    P1090734-M.jpg

Believe me, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference...

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SameHorse

i'm skeptical that someone who would go to the trouble of buying doggy poo bags, and then picking up the doggy poo and bagging it, wouldn't also dispose of it 'properly' in a bin. i would assume they intend to pick it up on the way back or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SameHorse

also worth considering if that is human poo, and not doggy poo, considering the recent reported junkie issues in that area.

Advertisement