Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NDLS Backlog?

• 08-09-2014 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

I applied for my full drivers licence on the 7th August 2014 and I still have not received it in the post, I am currently waiting for it for up to four weeks now. Is there a backlog in processing the licences in the NDLS centres?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I applied for my new/replacement licence (added C+E and other categories) on 8th of August in Wicklow Town NDLS.....received it on 25th of August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

I applied for mine on the 16th August and I received it last week. If I was you I would contact them as something seems to have gone wrong, or it got lost in the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I got mine this morning after having applied on the 13th of last month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

When I rang last week that said they were dealing with applications made on the 11th of August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Funny, just rang now and the automated voice said the same thing. So 2 weeks and still haven't made progress? Seems like the information on their helpline is out of date.

5 weeks waiting now and totally fed up.

Update: I rang them and they said there was a discrepancy between my learner permit application and my driving license application. Apparently on the learner permit I said I was born in Ireland (cannot possibly be true that I did) and on the driving licence application that I was born in the UK.

Now they want me to post my passport to Cork?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

I wouldn't ever post my passport under any circumstances - if it gets lost you're in a world of problems. Surely you can pop into a NDLS centre (again) and just show them your passport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Go to your nearest NDLS office and they will colour photocopy the passport and forward it for you to Cork processing centre. You don't need to send your original in the post.
    Funny, just rang now and the automated voice said the same thing. So 2 weeks and still haven't made progress? Seems like the information on their helpline is out of date.

5 weeks waiting now and totally fed up.

Update: I rang them and they said there was a discrepancy between my learner permit application and my driving license application. Apparently on the learner permit I said I was born in Ireland (cannot possibly be true that I did) and on the driving licence application that I was born in the UK.

Now they want me to post my passport to Cork?!?

Felt uncomfortable about posting my passport so I went into the office as suggested. There was a girl sitting next to me in the queue with exactly the same problem. Irish passport, English accent. They also asked her to return to get it scanned.

I had brought the passport originally but had been told I didn't need it. Learning here is that if you are born in the UK then insist they scan the passport during the original application.

Funny thing, the same day I called them (before I found the helpline number) I sent them an email.

Response I finally received was dated the same day with a demand for the passport within 10 days or they would cancel the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Applied 23 of September.

Still waiting the 17 of October.

Sent emails to them but no response...

By the standards above, i should get it sometime next week.

2 weeks processing? More like a month.

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Applied 23 of September.

Ring them now. If there is a problem they won't contact you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Applied 23 of September.

Did you receive your licence? My sister applied for her full licence last Thursday down here in Kerry; informed to expect it in 3-weeks and it arrived this morning, only 1-week after applying.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Did you receive your licence? My sister applied for her full licence last Thursday down here in Kerry; informed to expect it in 3-weeks and it arrived this morning, only 1-week after applying.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam
    Nope, still waiting. Scanned my receipt to them and all but yet they still need my PPS number. Will phone them today with it.

Well, arrived home on the 30th to a letter from them stating that i needed to produce evidence of going for a driving test for categories AM and A1 and that they had been in contact on the 13th of October about the matter.

I had a provisional before getting my full B car licence. I then got a provisional A1 licence (theory test and all).

I never heard anything form them until the 30th. Secondly, i had only put down for the A category (over 24 so can go straight to it) but the clerk said why not put down for the others as well. Thanks Clerk! Now i have to send back a surrender form stating i don't want AM and A1 on the licence.

Only verging on waiting 2 months for the licence. Such a pain!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Appointment on the 20th of October (Monday). Got it in the post the following Wednesday.

MarkR wrote: »
    Appointment on the 20th of October (Monday). Got it in the post the following Wednesday.
    Black magic! Who do you know?

Well nearly 2 months later I've finally got my bike permit.

Now to save for damned IBT! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

No backlog for me. :p

Appointment on the 6th and got my licence in the post today. (14th)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭redarmy1929

Has anyone ever applied by post when renewing their learners permit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

There is no longer a postal renewal option. All customers have to present in person. To tackle fraud apparently. The NDLS say they might introduce it next year for people who have already presented at one of their offices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You can't renew by post anymore. Since last year, you have to present yourself in person, if you renewing an expired or lost license/learner permit. This so that they can take your picture at the NDLS centres. You no longer supply your own passport photos.They do it there and your picture is then embedded in the new credit card style license.

As the above poster said, there is talk of bringing in an option for people to renew/replace a license by post, as long as they have already been in to have their picture taken for the new credit card style license. But as of now, that option doesn't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭redarmy1929

I was just reading this part on FAQ's.
    You may only need to attend an NDLS centre once to do this face-to-face application – after that, it is our intention to provide a service that will allow you to get subsequent licences and learner permits by phone/postal application. We will also plan to allow applications through an online service next year.

I didnt know if it was put in place.

Thanks lads.

Advertisement