Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Giant Granny

• 08-09-2014 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

My reaction to this is best summed up by paraphrasing comments by a bowler-hatted gentleman in the film 'Let It Be' during the Beatles impromptu rooftop concert in Twickenham:

This is alright in its proper place. But I don't see why they should disrupt the business of the neighbourhood.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭finbarrk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

My reaction to this is best summed up by paraphrasing comments by a bowler-hatted gentleman in the film 'Let It Be' during the Beatles impromptu rooftop concert in Twickenham:

This is alright in its proper place. But I don't see why they should disrupt the business of the neighbourhood.

I'm sure the businesses that all had an extra 200k people to serve this weekend didn't mind, the hotels, restaurants, bars and cafes almost certainly didn't have a problem with the extra business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

So what business of yours was affected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

source wrote: »
    I'm sure the businesses that all had an extra 200k people to serve this weekend didn't mind, the hotels, restaurants, bars and cafes almost certainly didn't have a problem with the extra business.
    Not sure you can generalise like that. I know more than one business saying takings were down at the weekend.(and one of them in the industries you list). People who wanted to shop avoided town and many of those in town were not spending. We did the same..came in to see granny and left...didn't spend a penny in town. The long term benefits of last weekend are another story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

vkid wrote: »
    Not sure you can generalise like that. I know more than one business saying takings were down at the weekend.(and one of them in the industries you list). People who wanted to shop avoided town and many of those in town were not spending. We did the same..came in to see granny and left...didn't spend a penny in town. The long term benefits of last weekend are another story

I couldn't get a table in town sat or Sunday, not without at least a half hour wait

• Advertisement

source wrote: »
    I couldn't get a table in town sat or Sunday, not without at least a half hour wait

That proves very little. Some places obviously did well, but not everywhere so you cannot generalise. Not everyone was delighted by trade at the weekend. Didnt have much of an issue getting lunch yesterday either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

Some people need to lighten up. Seems people only get behind Limerick when someone is slagging it off.

It was a great weekend and rather than going straight to the Cresent the next time when bored of a Sunday some of these people might now come to the City Centre for a stroll around.

Personally speaking it was great to see the pants tucked into the socks brigade vastly out numbered by familys enjoying themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

Surely the worth of the Granny can't be measured merely in economic terms? What price can you put on the thousands of smiling faces and the feel good factor that gripped the city?

For what its worth, I bought three meals in town over the course of the weekend, a nice few pints, a few cups of coffee and a bottle of water. I'm sure I wasn't alone in that type of outlay.

Surely the worth of the Granny can't be measured merely in economic terms? What price can you put on the thousands of smiling faces and the feel good factor that gripped the city?

For what its worth, I bought three meals in town over the course of the weekend, a nice few pints, a few cups of coffee and a bottle of water. I'm sure I wasn't alone in that type of outlay.

Not trying to be negative, and as I said the long term effects are another story.
    The idea that all city traders made money due to the granny this weekend, is a massive generalisation though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya a lot of businesses were dead with most comparing it to how they are on Paddy Day but I think the over all boost massively outweighs the negative. It will be something that will live in the memory of people for years and limerick will be associated with it. I saw lots of tourists in enjoying it too and I'm sure quiet a few that might have been coming to ireland to visit elsewhere added Limerick to their trip because of the giant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

Not trying to be negative, and as I said the long term effects are another story.
    The idea that all city traders made money due to the granny this weekend, is a massive generalisation though
    I didn't think you were being negative. I was just making a general point. But certainly, certain business types did better than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

It seems the powers that be disagree with you

sorry - was trying to attach a tweet from Retail Excellence Ireland which said that Limerick retailers were reporting a "strong pick up in trade this weekend thanks to the giant'

Advertisement