Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on new CCTV kit

Options
  • 08-09-2014 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hello All,

I am new to CCTV systems and Security systems in general... Can any one recommend a good CCTV set. So here are some of my requirements,

1) 3 or 4 cameras (possibly HD, wired and has night vision)
    2) Possible sold as a kit (with cameras, wires, cctv recorder etc included)
    3) Ability to sync cctv recorder disks with secondary NAS device as backup..
    4) possibility to save jpegs or any other picture format when a motion is triggered to either dropbox or other cloud services, that way I have a backup of the last images should anything happen to the devices
    5) ability to web the live stream using iOS or android app

Any suggestion would help..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

Have a look at suppliers of equipment here. Most of the suppliers have kits made up or you can chop and change to suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CYHSN

I had a 4 camera kit from cctvdirect bookmarked but that website seems be be getting a redesign for the last couple of months now, I see eyespy listed on the supplies page have kits online that we can see, anyone have any reviews of those?

Wanted to be able to view cars parted at front of house with a good clear image.

http://www.eyespycctv.ie/product/icu-hvr-kit-5/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

CYHSN wrote: »
    I had a 4 camera kit from cctvdirect bookmarked but that website seems be be getting a redesign for the last couple of months now, I see eyespy listed on the supplies page have kits online that we can see, anyone have any reviews of those?

Wanted to be able to view cars parted at front of house with a good clear image.

http://www.eyespycctv.ie/product/icu-hvr-kit-5/

The most important thing to look at is the playback quality plus the frame rate setting. Its better to have 2 weeks of quality footage than 3 months of something thats not much use.
    Fixed lens cameras will have limitations of distance plus installing a camera too high up will not catch much except for someones head. Its ok if all you want is an overview of an area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BommyTurke

Mod edit, Hi Perimeter Control Systems,

Can you please read the charter about advertising on boards.ie

Using a company name as your user name is not a good way forward. I understand that there are users here that do but they set up before the admins changed the rules.

I think you'll need to change your name to something less obvious before returning here to post please.

I hope you don't leave the forum, or take this the wrong way, we understand that as a new user this may have escaped you. The more informed posters here the better, but the owners of boards would allow advertising unless you go through the proper channels. These are the rules we've been asked to enforce.

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

I`m actually looking into a CCTV kit, I`ve done a little bit of research as to what is the best for my budget.

Mainly looking at this site mainly at the bottom two kits.

Another kit I`m interested in is this one.

Just wanted to ask has anyone dealt with either site, if so what`s the quality of products like, or maybe the kits themselves?

This is going to be a one time spend so I`d like to get the best I can , with the budget I don`t have, lol.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Have a look at cctv direct, that site you linked to is spouting nonsense
    "4 x Sharp 700 Tvl Hd varifocal" :confused:

Jnealon wrote: »
    Have a look at cctv direct, that site you linked to is spouting nonsense
    "4 x Sharp 700 Tvl Hd varifocal" :confused:

I`m don`t fully understand all of the jargon when reading the descriptions for these kits, why is it nonsense, is that not possible?

Edit: Just had a look at that site, I don`t see any kits on there, also don`t like the fact that I have to register to see the prices...

Edit 2: I just came across this deal,http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HOME-CCTV-System-8CH-H-264-CCTV-DVR-4PCS-Outdoor-IR-480tvl-CCTV-Camera-System-DVR/627642561.html has anyone bought from the site?
    The prices are way better than here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Hatchet Harry

Where you setting this up op?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Moreilly

I got the sannce system about a week ago and used parcel motel for delivery which worked out far cheaper.
    I got it without a hard disk for about £135 and added a WD Purple 2tb drive (designed for this type of use) from amazon to it.
    For the money its a good system with plenty of features. better build quality than what i was expecting at such a low price. Image quality from the cameras is not spectacular but not that bad either. happy enough with it for the price as i was not prepared to pay a fortune for it. Its a good system for £135, just dont expect ultra clear images. im even thinking about ordering a second system

• Advertisement

You got a link for the one you got?

lewis wrote: »
    You got a link for the one you got?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NJOI7MM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for cameras - use parcel motel for this !!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IMPO5MO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for hdd, but a 1 TB would have been enough ! - free delivery on amazon

m :)

So you reckon the picture quality is alright?

Is it CMOS image sensor?

How difficult was the installation?

lewis wrote: »
    So you reckon the picture quality is alright?

Is it CMOS image sensor?

How difficult was the installation?

picture quality is ok, car number plates are a bit iffy to make out but its not too bad, i think it is a cmos sensor & installation is very easy - there is two power supply's, one for the dvr unit and one for the cameras ( which has a 4 way splitter) - just plug them in and plug the cameras into the dvr and away you go. Its defiantly worth the £135, but if you want better image quality it would probably cost multiple times this. :)

Moreilly wrote: »
    picture quality is ok, car number plates are a bit iffy to make out but its not too bad, i think it is a cmos sensor & installation is very easy - there is two power supply's, one for the dvr unit and one for the cameras ( which has a 4 way splitter) - just plug them in and plug the cameras into the dvr and away you go. Its defiantly worth the £135, but if you want better image quality it would probably cost multiple times this. :)

Detail would be important for me, there`s been to many break ins around my area, so the small details like faces, number plates, etc is very important.

I`ve found a few, what look to be good kits for around your price or a little more, but the specs don`t really vary to much, I`m trying to get the best specs in certain area`s, as I can.

I assume you put the camera`s on the outside of you house, if so, how did you far with cable management?

cables in the attic and cameras mounted on the walls under the soffit , cables are plenty long enough, all neat and tidy. if i get another system ill be drilling through the wall as the cameras will be going on the gable end of the house, id imagine all the systems around this price point are pretty much the same and you would probably have to spend a couple of hundred more for better image quality. i doubt it could be beaten for anything under 300 anyway

I`m in a two story house, so I`m thinking of the best place to put them, not to high, nor to low, but I`d like nice clean cables and cable paths, I`ve not done anything like this before, so I`m after as much advice as I can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can I nip in and ask a question about cameras?

If you have to mount a camera at an offset angle, can the image that is displayed on the screen or recorded on to the HDD be flipped to make it correct?
    So if I have a dome camera, but instead of having it mounted on the soffit, I put it on a vertical wall so that the camera is now 90degrees off centre, can this still be done?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Most domes would be adjustable to get any image horizontal anyway.
    But yes any good video software would let you rotate it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement