Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with childminder

Options
  • 08-09-2014 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi. thanks in advance for any replies. I am having a problem with my childminder who is also a friend. Her son and mine are in the same class at school and while last year was ok, this year my son is unhappy going to the childminders after school. Her child is spoilt, to put it bluntly, but she is totally blind about this. He is mean and aggressive to my child and when my child retaliates, he gets reprimanded and I get immediately told about his bad behaviour. I realise Im not there to witness what goes down but I do believe my son and know he hates going there now. Another mum / mutual friend has also said the childminders son is v spoilt and gets his own way all the time. Is there any way of approaching this without hurting feelings?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

corsica wrote: »
    Hi. thanks in advance for any replies. I am having a problem with my childminder who is also a friend. Her son and mine are in the same class at school and while last year was ok, this year my son is unhappy going to the childminders after school. Her child is spoilt, to put it bluntly, but she is totally blind about this. He is mean and aggressive to my child and when my child retaliates, he gets reprimanded and I get immediately told about his bad behaviour. I realise Im not there to witness what goes down but I do believe my son and know he hates going there now. Another mum / mutual friend has also said the childminders son is v spoilt and gets his own way all the time. Is there any way of approaching this without hurting feelings?

It's probably unlikely she'll accept what you say.
    Can you find someone else to look after him.

• Administrators Posts: 14,036 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Can you ring her when you get home, and tell her you've spoken to your son and he said such-and-such was how it started? Suggest that you get the 2 boys together to apologise to each other.

Her reaction to that will tell you what you need. If she goes on the defensive immediately with a not-my-Johnny response then I think you will have to tell her that you need to find different childcare. It's a terrible position for you to be in, and I don't envy you having to try have that conversation. At the end of the day though, you need to consider your son's feelings above hers.

You could spin it from the angle that the 2 boys seem to clash so it'd better for all concerned if they are separated?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭corsica

Not easily but will have to start looking. She will still want to know why and I would like to avoid hurting feelings - and also making things awkward in the playground. Hate these situations

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭corsica

You could spin it from the angle that the 2 boys seem to clash so it'd better for all concerned if they are separated?

Thanks!... will start on this tack I think.

Advertisement