Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi-feral cat seems unwell

• 08-09-2014 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I am looking for advice about my three year old tom cat. All weekend he has got not been eating is very lethargic and is not bothered with anything or anyone and sleeping in his basket has any idea of what could be wrong This is very unlike him as he is always jumping around chasing and killing and is loves his food. Please Help.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Nobody here can diagnose your cat online, the vet should always be your first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭westliferule

I know that he will freak if try get him into cage as he was once wild. I may just call the vet and see what he says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I know that he will freak if try get him into cage as he was once wild. I may just call the vet and see what he says.

A vet can't make a diagnosis over the phone.

well what you suggest I do than?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I would have thought the answer is obvious but put him in a cage as calmly and gently as possible and bring him to a vet if you are worried about him.

• Advertisement

Ill give it a try but he will properly got ape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Yes a lethargic non-eating cat is a case for the vet straight away. Not eating and drinking in particular is very dangerous. It is a clear sign something is not right and will not fix itself if it has already persisted for a few days. And if he is as lethargic as you said, putting him in a crate won't be as traumatic as usual (only slightly less so :P - speaking from experience here). So get him to a vet!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Cover the cage with a blanket or towel. The darkness will quieten even the wildest cat down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Ill give it a try but he will properly got ape
    Better he goes ape then dies on the street due to lack of treatment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

If you can confine him to 1 room it will make it easier to catch him. A top opening large carrier is ideal but if you don't have one you could grab him in a large towel and get him into the carrier that way. I know it's very hard with a cat that was feral, we have one ourselves and it never gets easier. He really does need to see a vet as they can go down hill very very fast and often don't show symptoms of being ill until they're at crisis point. It's a 2 person job really 1 to get them in the carrier and another person to close the carrier while the cats being shut in.

• Advertisement

managed to get cat to vet yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

And?

his immune system was way down he was on IV and antibiotics all weekend his bloods are back up and he may be home tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Ahh, that's great, hopefully he'll be home to you soon and back to normal.:)

Hope so to

Advertisement