Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many optional subjects can i register dcu?

Options
  • 08-09-2014 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I am registering fro applied language and translation studies and it says to select the subjects/modules you wish to register for. Can I pick as many as I want?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

wolfpac wrote: »
    I am registering fro applied language and translation studies and it says to select the subjects/modules you wish to register for. Can I pick as many as I want?

No. There should be an explanation somewhere on the registration page. It's usually a link that opens up in another window. I have no registration page myself for another week so can't check the exact location atm.

Basically you can only register 60 credits for the year - usually 30 for each semester. There are strict rules about the language combos and if you pick French for example then there are rules about what modules you have to pick related to French. But there should be a proper explanation there somewhere, have a good look around!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭wolfpac

Thanks I picked all of the French and Japanese modules

Thanks I picked all of the French and Japanese modules

Awesome! That's what I did but I dropped French last year (don't think that's an option anymore though). Heading into 4th year now so if you've any questions or need a hand with any work or anything let me know :) (Japanese in particular - bloody hated French ha!).

Konata wrote: »
    Awesome! That's what I did but I dropped French last year (don't think that's an option anymore though). Heading into 4th year now so if you've any questions or need a hand with any work or anything let me know :) (Japanese in particular - bloody hated French ha!).

Is it true that the French classes are entirely in French with no English?

Is it true that the French classes are entirely in French with no English?

Pretty much. If there's some really odd French word then the teacher might explain it in English but 99% of the class is entirely through French. You're expected to have a fairly solid background in the language so it's not a really a big deal. Worse than it sounds!

• Advertisement

Did you do your 3rd year in Japan? If so what was it like? Was there a large workload because I'm really looking forward to a year in Japan.

Did you do your 3rd year in Japan? If so what was it like? Was there a large workload because I'm really looking forward to a year in Japan.

Yup, just back a few weeks. I went to Sophia University in Tokyo which was incredibly intense. 3 hours of Japanese class every day, 100% through Japanese with daily quizzes and weekly tests and exams across all the different parts (speaking, kanji, reading, essays, listening etc.). About 5-6 hours a day of homework and study for the next day's tests, more at weekends obviously. You could do less of course but that's what it took to get an A semester one and (hopefully - don't have results yet) at least a B semester two. Sophia is particularly difficult though - other colleges were not nearly as intense but then they didn't progress as far either. So yea the workload was crazy and it definitely didn't let me enjoy other aspects of living in Japan as much (semester two in particular I had very very little free time) but the pay off for that is that I should have more of an advantage now in 4th year where it all counts! That's what I'm hoping anyway, we'll soon see ha!

Have you studied Japanese before?

Yes I got a B in the Leaving Cert and it's the reason why I picked this course.

Yes I got a B in the Leaving Cert and it's the reason why I picked this course.

Ah you'll find the first few weeks fairly easy so but they fly through material so enjoy the head-start while you can!

Advertisement