Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche closed for funeral

Options
13»

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

farmchoice wrote: »
    not only is it appropriate that the staff attend the funeral, if it was the father of the lady who runs my sons crèche id make sure that I was there to pay my respects as well.
    Respect is a 2 way street if you want to receive it you need to give it and you need to accept there are times when you put your own immediate needs aside to consider the greater needs of others, like that most earth shattering event that is the death of a parent, one days inconvenience for you, one of the saddest days of that woman's life, you won't remember the date that the crèche closed but until that woman dies she will remember the date of the day she buried her father.

Your employer is far more understanding than most, for sure more understanding than mine. Staff handbooks in most places allow absence for funerals for close family only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Neyite wrote: »
    Your employer is far more understanding than most, for sure more understanding than mine. Staff handbooks in most places allow absence for funerals for close family only.

whether you go to the funeral or the removal or send a card or none of the above is your own business, but at the very least don't gripe and whine and complain about the fact that you are discommoded because the person who looks after your children has to bury her father and god forbid her staff feel the need to attend the funeral of their employers father.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I would go to the funeral, and since then that is all anyone wants to discuss, not the pathetic self obsessed whining that went on before hand, I suppose it distracts attention form the substantive issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Hang on - regular childcare arrangements being disrupted is more than being "discommoded".

It is an absolute pain for working parents to have to tell their boss that they can't go to work / take meetings / cover shifts because of something way out of their control.

That's why some parents choose a crèche instead of a childminder. Using a crèche should eliminate this problem altogether.

Money is a factor but I'd imagine the inconvenience and disruption to that parents work are the bigger problem.

Not everybody has a flexible work situation. Hence a crèche!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

pathetic self obsessed whining

That's a bit strong don't you think?

Hang on - regular childcare arrangements being disrupted is more than being "discommoded".

It is an absolute pain for working parents to have to tell their boss that they can't go to work / take meetings / cover shifts because of something way out of their control.

That's why some parents choose a crèche instead of a childminder. Using a crèche should eliminate this problem altogether.

Money is a factor but I'd imagine the inconvenience and disruption to that parents work are the bigger problem.

its a pain in the ass no doubt about it and it will cause every single parent hassle and maybe real hardship for that day.
    just not in the same realm of hardship as burying your father, so suck it up have a bit of human understanding and hope when the day comes when you are burying your parents that you don't have to deal with the level of pathetic selfishness that some people on here are displaying. Me, me, me, ''who is going to look after my needs while you are at a funeral, ''I m a paying customer I come first, I demand service''.

I really can't get my head around this level of self obsession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

Yes it's an absolute pain but sometimes things happen that are just out of your control and there's absloutly nothing you can do about it!! I also know some bosses take a dim view on staff having to take un-scheduled time off due to any child related issue but most people accept that sometimes these things happen. But the creche was closed for one day - not a week !!!

its a pain in the ass no doubt about it and it will cause every single parent hassle and maybe real hardship for that day.
    just not in the same realm of hardship as burying your father, so suck it up have a bit of human understanding and hope when the day comes when you are burying your parents that you don't have to deal with the level of pathetic selfishness that some people on here are displaying. Me, me, me, ''who is going to look after my needs while you are at a funeral, ''I m a paying customer I come first, I demand service''.

Mate, you just aren't listening. Nobody is saying that the daughter should have worked. Its the other staff closing the creche as a mark of respect. You have become obsessed on a point that doesn't exist.

So maybe the collective hardship of all the parents does outweigh the hardship of the OTHER EMPLOYEES who would have to work instead of attending their colleagues father's funeral!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

If my son is sick and cannot go to the creche, I have to pay for the day in the creche. I also lose on the double because I have to refuse work on the days I'm looking after him at home. As someone who is not earning mountains, yes it is a big deal to me.
    Anywhere I've worked, if a close relative of a colleague died, a certain number of the workers would go to the funeral as representatives, the workplace would not completely shut down, and the bereaved colleague understood.

Mate, you just aren't listening. Nobody is saying that the daughter should have worked. Its the other staff closing the creche as a mark of respect. You have become obsessed on a point that doesn't exist.

So maybe the collective hardship of all the parents does outweigh the hardship of the OTHER EMPLOYEES who would have to work instead of attending their colleagues father's funeral!

No I get that, I am taking about those who think the crèche should stay open to suit them while the owner's father is buried. The owner/manager closed the crèche as a mark of respect on the day her father was buried, it wasn't the other employees deciding they would close; it was the owner who decided to close it. A perfectly reasonable and normal thing to do.

To complain about that... well you know my feeling on that.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

No I get that, I am taking about those who think the crèche should stay open to suit them while the owner's father is buried. The owner/manager closed the crèche as a mark of respect on the day her father was buried, it wasn't the other employees deciding they would close; it was the owner who decided to close it. A perfectly reasonable and normal thing to do.

To complain about that... well you know my feeling on that.

So if your GP shut at short notice to bury his/her father, but still charged you for the appointment you DIDNT attend because they were shut, you'd be ok with that €50 quid lost then? And the days wages you lost to go to the appointment in the first place?

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    So if your GP shut at short notice to bury his/her father, but still charged you for the appointment you DIDNT attend because they were shut, you'd be ok with that €50 quid lost then? And the days wages you lost to go to the appointment in the first place?

More like:

If the GP clinic(of several doctors) closed as a mark of respect for the receptionist father's funeral, would you still pay for your missed appointment?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Do you have children? Do you use the services of a creche?

Has anybody said the bereaved daughter should have been in work?

But there is no need to shut down, unless the crèche only employ family members.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Has the OP confirmed they have to pay for the closed day or has everyone just leaped to that conclusion and ran with it?

More like:

If the GP clinic(of several doctors) closed as a mark of respect for the receptionist father's funeral, would you still pay for your missed appointment?

We don't know if they are going to be charged in the original post the OP didn't know and was wondering if anyone else had come across it. Chances are the parents won't be charged for the day, who knows, but as you said in an earlier post it ''The money aspect is a secondary point''

Not charging for the day is the very least they can do, I'd still be inclined to find another creche, childcare needs to be reliable, closing on short notice isn't fair to their customers.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Do you have children? Do you use the services of a creche?

Yes I have 2 children one of whom is in a crèche, and if this situation played out there I would deal with it in a manner that I hope would show the same level of understanding and compassion that I would expect for myself in a similar situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

By this logic nobody can ever complain. There is nearly always someone suffering more.

Yes I have 2 children one of whom is in a crèche, and if this situation played out there I would deal with it in a manner that I hope would show the same level of understanding and compassion that I would expect for myself in a similar situation

I'm surprised at that given your lack of empathy for the position it puts their customers in.

Other parents might not have a considerate boss, job security or flexibility to not have it affect them like you. It would be great if the world worked like that, but it doesn't.

• Advertisement

We don't know if they are going to be charged in the original post the OP didn't know and was wondering if anyone else had come across it. Chances are the parents won't be charged for the day, who knows, but as you said in an earlier post it ''The money aspect is a secondary point''

That is a serious case of selective quoting, here is my full quote.
    The money aspect is a secondary point but not unimportant

I do think the issue of money is important here, especially because the OP stated she is struggling as it is!

By this logic nobody can ever complain. There is nearly always someone suffering more.

I do not say anything like that nor can that be taken from what I was saying. I only ever compared 2 things, the hassle of arranging alternative care for your child for one day and having to bury your father, if you seriously think there is some comparison between the two there is something wrong with you.

I do not say anything like that nor can that be taken from what I was saying. I only ever compared 2 things, the hassle of arranging alternative care for your child for one day and having to bury your father, if you seriously think there is some comparison between the two there is something wrong with you.

It's getting into the territory of singling out the daughter of the deceased when we all are discussing the business as a whole.

No issues with the daughter taking some bereavement time. We are discussing the creche closing

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

A funeral is not a regular event. If the OP had posted saying the creche was in the habit closing for funerals/weddings/christenings/etc etc then yeah I'd say go find another creche but while yes it's a business it's still run by people not robots. I'm pretty surprised people think it's odd for a business owner to shut their business when such a close family member dies. This wasn't a friend or distant relation but their father - we don't know how close said father could have been to staff but even if they weren't the creche owner is clearly dealing with a lot and they opted to shut their business and focus on family. The OP can follow up with them after the funeral to sort out money matters for the closed day but you can't make them open and it's really being over dramatic moving creches for what is a very one off occurrence.

As for the person who asked why strangers would go to a funeral, yes it happens, especially in small towns. My father passed away suddenly seven years ago this month. His sister runs a creche and she shut it straight away for nearly a week. And yes parents had their money returned but the whole family was in utter shock as it wasn't expected so she opted not to open while we dealt with the grief. My mother is a GP and she shut her business as there was no way she could work. As my dad had 15 brothers and sisters living in the town and his wife was the town doctor there was a massive turn out for the funeral and quite a few did not know my dad but knew his family or my mum and came as a show of support and respect.

All this comments asking 'have you got kids' how about have you ever lost someone close to you? Everyone reacts different to grief. What would have expected to happen if a staff member of the creche had died or the owner of the creche? I'm sorry you've been inconvenienced but life happens and sometimes you just have to deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Although obviously an inonvenience for the OP, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be as big a deal for her if she knew she was being reimbursed for the days closure so she could arrange alternative childcare with that money. Or at the very least no be out of pocket. She has said this is not something she can afford. TBH IMO this point has a lot to do with it... And IMO is a very fair point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Moonbeam wrote: »
    You need to be vetted for every place separately.

Vetting for childminding is centrally organised. Used to be Barnardos - now I think it's Childminding Ireland.

Advertisement