Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grange Hill Rathfarnham

Options
  • 08-09-2014 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this thread is elsewhere, couldnt find one. I see the minimum price for this development in Rathfarnmham is €620,000 and thats just from off the plans. So lets say when built might fetch €700,000.

Either this estate is purely for the elite of our society or have things gone completely mad. I must be missing something as there must be a demand for people to take on these huge mortgages and banks are willing to lend such money.

Not only that but what scope is there for people to sell in 5-10 years with some sort of a margin added. Can these type of family homes get much more expensive? If so that would mean a return to the crazy peak prices of 06/07. A lesson I thought would mean we never went there again.

Confused.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Developer off his biccie, looking at the details.

Pros:
    - Nice view
    - Going to be decent builds with good BER
    - Relatively quiet area - but has its fair share of wandering scumbags and boy racers flying up the mountains.
    - All rear gardens have a good south or southwest aspect.
    - Good access to parks, etc

Cons:
    - 3 floors
    - Cheapest houses are basically terraced townhouses
    - Little or no front garden in any houses.
    - Bordered by the M50 to the south - noisy
    - 5 bed houses face onto the Harold's Grange road with very little space.

All in all, it would be a nice place to live, but no way in hell are those 4-bed townhouses worth €620k. If these actually sell at these prices, then there's no way I'm getting back into this property market because it's fncked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Absolute madness - €620k for a terraced house on the outskirts of rathfarnham, look at the state of them:

http://www.grangehill.ie/

If you tried walking to Rathfarnham village from there it'd take you about 40mins - it's on the blackglen road so really more like Sandyford/Ballinteer.

If they achieve those prices we may as well all pack up and go home, country is fvcked.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's about as much Rathfarnham as Stocking Well is, and that's up the mountains.

Selling off plans also :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

They look quite nice, but the asking prices are mad.

Does anybody know if any have been sold yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's about as much Rathfarnham as Stocking Well is, and that's up the mountains.
    It's slightly further than Stocking Well, but almost the same. About as far as you can go and still claim to be "Rathfarnham". It's Ballinteer in reality, as said, but Ballinteer doesn't smell like money in the same way that Rathfarnham does. It's closer to Dundrum Village than it is to Rathfarnham Village FFS.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Absolute madness - €620k for a terraced house on the outskirts of rathfarnham, look at the state of them:

http://www.grangehill.ie/

If you tried walking to Rathfarnham village from there it'd take you about 40mins - it's on the blackglen road so really more like Sandyford/Ballinteer.

If they achieve those prices we may as well all pack up and go home, country is fvcked.

It's Rathfarnham, despite being a 10 minute walk to Ballinteer shopping centre and about 30mins to Dundrum Town centre. Proximity doesn't come into it.

Ballintyre Hall, within a stones throw, is an upmarket development with townhouses going for €425k +- so I think Grange Hill is ambitious in its pricing.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    It's Rathfarnham, despite being a 10 minute walk to Ballinteer shopping centre and about 30mins to Dundrum Town centre. Proximity doesn't come into it.

That's only a technicality - as another poster said this is Rathfarnham in the spirit that Stocking Wood is Rathfarnham.

Technically yes but not really.

It's like the Mitch Hedberg joke about going into a hotel lift and there not being a 13th floor - but the people on the 14th know what floor they're really on :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34,923 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Those prices are insane. Ghost estate in the making.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

It's the same with Honeypark near Dun Laoghaire. They were supposed to be building houses for the average family (and this was said to me by more than one councillor during the campaigning for the recent election) but instead they are large 5 bedroomed houses over 3 floors going for about €620,000 - way out of the reach of most buyers.

Any of the other new builds I've seen in the area are the same, large 4 and 5 bed properties going for a ridiculous price.

Who on earth has the money for these properties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

now as Seamus has said, that is serious serious money, they are pretty large properties at 1900 sq ft and if they were 3 beds at say 1200/1300 sq ft, they would be going for 413,000 ish. Which I reckon they would achieve, but starting from E620,000 in that location, holy s**t, that is the kind of money and price that would scare me!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,923 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Whom are these houses actually being built for?

Well off folks who like the idea of living in a terraced house in the middle of nowhere?

The mind boggles really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

They look horrible also, like a big industrial unit or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

o1s1n wrote: »
    Whom are these houses actually being built for?

Well off folks who like the idea of living in a terraced house in the middle of nowhere?

The mind boggles really.

Yeah I cannot understand if a market exists out there for this type of product. I think ye have all summed it up pretty well. So I e mailed my 'interest' and got the following spin doctor response.

"Thank you for enquiring about our development at Grange Hill Rathfarnham D16

The first phase consists of 19 houses we will have these completed by early spring 2015 the overall site is 71 houses

We are currently selling off plans.

At present this is going very well and over the next couple of weeks we would hope to have phase one booked/sold

We will have a show house ready in about 8 weeks to show our clients

The prices are 4 bed mid terrace size 1900sqf are €620,000 4 bed end of terrace size 1900sqf are €635,000 [only 1 south facing garden left in this phase] and 5 bed semi-detached 2600sqf €740,000"

morrga wrote: »
    Yeah I cannot understand if a market exists out there for this type of product. I think ye have all summed it up pretty well. So I e mailed my 'interest' and got the following spin doctor response.

"Thank you for enquiring about our development at Grange Hill Rathfarnham D16

The first phase consists of 19 houses we will have these completed by early spring 2015 the overall site is 71 houses

We are currently selling off plans.

At present this is going very well and over the next couple of weeks we would hope to have phase one booked/sold

We will have a show house ready in about 8 weeks to show our clients

The prices are 4 bed mid terrace size 1900sqf are €620,000 4 bed end of terrace size 1900sqf are €635,000 [only 1 south facing garden left in this phase] and 5 bed semi-detached 2600sqf €740,000"

5 bed semi D in a sh!te looking complex half way up the fvcking mountain for €740k :eek::eek::eek:

the semi d is far better value than the terrace! but these are honestly boom time jaw dropper prices! would the banks even lend out that amount for those properties? Will be interesting to see how they fare!

I get the impression that while yes a recovery is underway, the hype is being well over done or believed by the likes of the developers of said estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

€620k to live in a glorified apartment block?

Pure bananas.
    They'll be queuing up like a line of pac-men :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

To be honest though - I love that location.
    But why they want to build horrible looking structures like that is beyond me. The design is absolutely woeful.

grange02.jpg

Scary thing is I believe there are muppets out there with cash who will pay this.

If they do indeed achieve asking where does that leave us......

Everyone agrees it's madness but it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If you click in to that link the lovely road you can see is actually quite a busy road, I drive up there a good bit and was wondering about the houses, there is another plot down the road near the shops that looks like it might be phase 2 its only a hundred yards or so away. There are houses going up by the bottle tower pub in church town has anybody seen any plans or drawings for them I know the building company and usually their stuff is top notch quality wise but Id say if a 4 bed in grange hill is 620 then if they are 4 beds which size wise they look then they must be pushing toward the million mark.

I dont think they are houses in churchtown, I read it had planning for a medical center, now it could be apartments, but it certainly doesnt look like houses... Wouldnt be surprised to see McGowans or Rodeo Joes as it was last known, being developed next if it has residential zoning...

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I dont think they are houses in churchtown, I read it had planning for a medical center, now it could be apartments, but it certainly doesnt look like houses... Wouldnt be surprised to see McGowans or Rodeo Joes as it was last known, being developed next if it has residential zoning...

Its definitely houses think there are six of them, I know the foreman.
    After rereading this post it might seem I was being a bit arsey sorry didn't mean to come off like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I can see these selling alright. 25 barton road west sold back in June for 575000, was on the market for two weeks before going sale agreed back in June.
    Fact of the matter is people who've been renting for the last 10 years are fed up of ot at this stage. With little development in the area, the likes of this development is attractive, especially with little other competition.
    Although I wouldn't be buying off plans, developer runs out of money and you're fubarred.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mr_seer

The €620k gaffs only have one room downstairs. They look like bad corpo gaffs. Buyer Beware (assuming anyone is stupid enough to buy one)!

They will sell, house prices are going up people in south Dublin are buying I have some friends trying to buy and every time they bid they are outbid within hours

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mr_seer

salmocab wrote: »
    They will sell, house prices are going up people in south Dublin are buying I have some friends trying to buy and every time they bid they are outbid within hours

I heard that line on more than one occasion in 2006-2007...

what happens if there are no takers, drop the asking or simply play a waiting game? alternatively, what if there are only a few buyers? lowering the prices after the some have committed for full price could be problematic?

Just looked at the floor plans, am I on crazy pills or will the 4 bed houses have one huge ground floor open plan living space? In a 4 bed (excluding the "study") I would want two separate living rooms as well as the open plan kitchen come dining room, at that price with that number of bedrooms! You might aswell be sharing the living space in a bloody apartment!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what happens if there are no takers, drop the asking or simply play a waiting game? alternatively, what if there are only a few buyers? lowering the prices after the some have committed for full price could be problematic?

Don't see it as hugely problematic has already happened before. A few muppets buy at €620k so they sell the remainder at €520k.

Supply & demand, original purchasers may be annoyed but what can they do they'll have bought the houses at that stage and fvck em anyway.

mr_seer wrote: »
    I heard that line on more than one occasion in 2006-2007...

Its gonna be no different this time around except this time people will know what they are doing and will do it anyway. Possible only exception this time will be no random strangers warning you to buy a house in Bulgaria.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

salmocab wrote: »
    If you click in to that link the lovely road you can see is actually quite a busy road,

I drive past them every day on my way to work. The road is a nightmare lately since they messed with the traffic lights at the junction at the bottom heading towards Marlay Park.

• Advertisement

I drive past them every day on my way to work. The road is a nightmare lately since they messed with the traffic lights at the junction at the bottom heading towards Marlay Park.

Yeah Im hoping that when they finish up completely they will fix the sequence and timings

Advertisement