Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grange Hill Rathfarnham

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Even though these houses are near the Marlay Park boundary am I right in saying that they are still quite a hike from the nearest entrance to the park?

You really are pretty cut off out there - as far as I know there isn't even a bus stop within walking distance. And backing on to the busiest motorway in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

awec wrote: »
    Even though these houses are near the Marlay Park boundary am I right in saying that they are still quite a hike from the nearest entrance to the park?

You really are pretty cut off out there - as far as I know there isn't even a bus stop within walking distance. And backing on to the busiest motorway in the country.

No there's actually a new entrance built in the top corner of Marlay Park so you'd only be a 5min walk from it.

Neares bus stop is a bit away - no16 down on the grange Road so maybe 15min walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yeah the site does back on to the m50 although I'm pretty sure the wall is quite high and can't imagine it would be too noisy, I actually quite like the location the main road is quite busy but apart from that its a nice area close to Dundrum SC, Marlay park, Supervalu Balinteer, Ticknock wood and decent access to m50 and places like sandyford. Don't like the look of the houses and certainly not the price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭m_hunter

No there's actually a new entrance built in the top corner of Marlay Park so you'd only be a 5min walk from it.

Neares bus stop is a bit away - no16 down on the grange Road so maybe 15min walk.

Yeah... no 16 go all the way to airport, which is very convenient if one travel a lot. Also in the morning and after works, it is just 10mins for the next one, you can still get a seat from Marlay Park but not beyond.

I think it is a good place, but the price is too high, but there will be people affordable, Dublin never in short of rich people....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

m_hunter wrote: »
    I think it is a good place, but the price is too high, but there will be people affordable, Dublin never in short of rich people....

Good, the more eejits that spend 3/4's of a mill half way up the Dublin Hills, on the side of a motorway...the less competition for houses in better locations closer to the likes of Rathfarnham etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭D_D

jay0109 wrote: »
    Good, the more eejits that spend 3/4's of a mill half way up the Dublin Hills, on the side of a motorway...the less competition for houses in better locations closer to the likes of Rathfarnham etc

But Grange Hill is Rathfarnham, remember?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Pro:
    Birthplace of revolution.

Con:
    A fool and his money is aisy parted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If the new central bank rules become law, these prices will get massively revised down.

seamus wrote: »
    If the new central bank rules become law, these prices will get massively revised down.

Please, please make it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Please, please make it so.

Labour are doing their best to make it no so...see today's Examiner headline, and both Burton and Kelly on the radio yesterday spouting about 20% being way too high

• Advertisement

If they manage to stymie it, hello rising prices, hello new bubble, hello unaffordable ratboxes.

If they manage to stymie it, hello rising prices, hello new bubble, hello unaffordable ratboxes.
    We really need rent control and proper inspection too, but forget about that with TDs who are landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Paddy1234

Went to view these houses at the weekend. €640k for the cheapest mid - terrace house. Personally i can't see these houses selling for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Paddy1234 wrote: »
    Went to view these houses at the weekend. €640k for the cheapest mid - terrace house. Personally i can't see these houses selling for that price.

I would certainly hope they dont sell for that price. Pirton in Dundrum going for 1.2 million! More eyewatering house prices!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

seems outrageous but the developers are unlikely to have got their pricing too wrong (as in whats best for them not anyone else). Drive by every day they look alright not gone on the design might go for a mooch about.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mr_seer

salmocab wrote: »
    seems outrageous but the developers are unlikely to have got their pricing too wrong (as in whats best for them not anyone else). Drive by every day they look alright not gone on the design might go for a mooch about.

They will not make asking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I went to see them over the weekend, I was surprised by them, both in good and bad ways. The houses were very big and most rooms were a really good size, with a huge amount of storage space. However for their price I found a lot of issues. Kitchens felt cheap, the oven in the 5 bed didn't fit the space, none of the press doors had soft close hinges. Only 2 parking spaces per house!! a five bed house with only two parking spots that'll cause no end of trouble in the future. The gardens in the 5 beds don't seem practical, very open/exposed and it would be hard to fit a shed in that doesn't look out of place. Only 1 en-suite bedroom in the 5 bed (there were more bathrooms in the 4 bed), very little wardrobe space in more rooms. The 4 bed only had the one living space downstairs which wouldn't suit a young family (as much as i love my kids I want a separate room for them downstairs). Far too close to the m50 for my liking, you wouldn't be able to sit out in the back garden in the summer without a constant drone coming from it.

I agree with the posters above I think they'll struggle to shift at that price. There are much more desirable houses close by in that price range that I would go for, if my budget was that high. Sure they have a high energy rating but that isn't the be all and end all of things. At 640 I'd go for something like this http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/8-manor-heath-rathfarnham-dublin-16/3148103 sure the house isn't as big, doesn't have as good a BER, but the living space is far more practical and the house is in a much better location. And I wouldn't be surprised if you could get the above house for less than asking.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Really excellent information, NinjaTruncs.

There are times I wonder if architects actually live in houses, they seem to have so little notion of what people really want.

I hope a great BER rating will become standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

my god, the 4 bed is all open plan downstairs! What is this a bloody apartment? as Ninja turtle mentioned, I would want / expect two separate living rooms and a kitchen / dining area downstairs, along with a w.c and storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

morrga wrote: »
    So lets say when built might fetch €700,000.
    some have learned nothing from the crash

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

watch out if Zammo moves in as he could bring down the neighborhood with his drug taking

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I went to see them over the weekend, I was surprised by them, both in good and bad ways. The houses were very big and most rooms were a really good size, with a huge amount of storage space. However for their price I found a lot of issues. Kitchens felt cheap, the oven in the 5 bed didn't fit the space, none of the press doors had soft close hinges. Only 2 parking spaces per house!! a five bed house with only two parking spots that'll cause no end of trouble in the future. The gardens in the 5 beds don't seem practical, very open/exposed and it would be hard to fit a shed in that doesn't look out of place. Only 1 en-suite bedroom in the 5 bed (there were more bathrooms in the 4 bed), very little wardrobe space in more rooms. The 4 bed only had the one living space downstairs which wouldn't suit a young family (as much as i love my kids I want a separate room for them downstairs). Far too close to the m50 for my liking, you wouldn't be able to sit out in the back garden in the summer without a constant drone coming from it.
    That sounds absolutely crazy. I think we all spotted it here late last year when these prices first came up that they were crazy, but I would have at least expected a little bit of luxury for the price.

In other words you're getting boomtime houses (3 floors, tiny plot of land, cheap finishing) at boomtime prices, in a post-boom market. Anyone who buys these houses needs their head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Look identical to these ones that are going on show in Drumcondra this week. http://www.dng.ie/Residential/brochure/3093013 think I will pop along to see what price tag they have in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I agree with the posters above I think they'll struggle to shift at that price. There are much more desirable houses close by in that price range that I would go for, if my budget was that high. Sure they have a high energy rating but that isn't the be all and end all of things. At 640 I'd go for something like this http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/8-manor-heath-rathfarnham-dublin-16/3148103 sure the house isn't as big, doesn't have as good a BER, but the living space is far more practical and the house is in a much better location. And I wouldn't be surprised if you could get the above house for less than asking.

We looked also, not a hope in achieving those prices.

The outside of them is disgusting looking, they look like apartments that will age very badly. Their designer/architect should be shot.

Also they are MILES away from rathfarnham village, really Ballinteer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Happened to pass them on Saturday. Good grief. The location on a busy, overloaded rural road is shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

No matter what the price I'd never buy there. Three reasons:

1. Miles away from any public transport, if you're driving there's serious traffic issues in the morning. I used to live nearby and was driving for a living.
    2. Constant drone 24/7 from the M50 along with associated air pollution. You'll never really get used to it, even in summer you'll be inclined to have windows closed when they could be open.
    3. Light glare from lighting on M50. Nothing you can do about this apart from heavy curtains.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Red Kev wrote: »
    No matter what the price I'd never buy there. Three reasons:

1. Miles away from any public transport, if you're driving there's serious traffic issues in the morning. I used to live nearby and was driving for a living.
    2. Constant drone 24/7 from the M50 along with associated air pollution. You'll never really get used to it, even in summer you'll be inclined to have windows closed when they could be open.
    3. Light glare from lighting on M50. Nothing you can do about this apart from heavy curtains.

You can add "mountain road but with extremely heavy traffic outside" (traffic lights at Marley park are causing havoc) and "poor footpaths".

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

I have to say I like the look of these houses. whether they are priced correctly I don't know because I haven't been to see them (and I'm not in the market anyway.) but I like the lay outs and the and over all presentation of the estate. As for the location while it obviously doesn't appeal to some people I know the area reasonably well and I don't think it would be as bad as some make out. I would expect these to sell for the asking price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Iintripod

Anyone on here been to see these houses? I'm going up this Wednesday to have a look around. Would like to get an insight as to what way they are finished? All help welcome.

Advertisement