Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grange Hill Rathfarnham

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Iintripod wrote: »
    Anyone on here been to see these houses? I'm going up this Wednesday to have a look around. Would like to get an insight as to what way they are finished? All help welcome.

yes went to see them, see my previous post. inside is OK, outside and location is terrible IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Not sure about the location the m50 would certainly put me off but Id like to go see them and have a listen before I decided but that aside its not too bad very close to marley park and shops, someone mentioned public transport earlier think you can stroll down through kingston estate to a bus stop not far at all maybe 10 minutes or so. The road itself can be busy but I drive up and back at least once a day sometimes more and its not bad any more although years ago it was a mare.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Iintripod

So dropped up to grangehill last night and had a look around. Viewed 5 bed first and got blown away. It's a big house. 2600sqft according to brochure. Well finished and according to the guy I met everything's included except furniture. It's outta our budget so couldn't get wife out quick enough. 4 bed is open plan and as a previous poster mentioned imo doesn't work. I love my kids but they would drive me demented all in one room. Was brought into a different house with a more traditional layout downstairs and for me that works much better. Again finish is good internally and included apparently. Now saying all that my issues are more around public transport. Drive to luas stop or walk down Marlay park for bus. Also does anyone know the situation with schools in that area? Prices are similar to new homes in the area so I'll await to see if they achieve them. There is a house across the road from it in pine valley. I'm having a look at it Saturday so we'll see what that has to offer. It's out of my budget also at 750k but it'll be interesting to compare the 2. New home versus second hand do up...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- I've splintered all the posts (19!) which were discussing the Wellfield development in Churchtown- off onto their own thread here.

If you intend to discuss the Churchtown development- instead of posting on this thread- please go here.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

So dropped up to grangehill last night and had a look around. Viewed 5 bed first and got blown away. It's a big house. 2600sqft according to brochure. Well finished and according to the guy I met everything's included except furniture. It's outta our budget so couldn't get wife out quick enough. 4 bed is open plan and as a previous poster mentioned imo doesn't work. I love my kids but they would drive me demented all in one room. Was brought into a different house with a more traditional layout downstairs and for me that works much better. Again finish is good internally and included apparently. Now saying all that my issues are more around public transport. Drive to luas stop or walk down Marlay park for bus. Also does anyone know the situation with schools in that area? Prices are similar to new homes in the area so I'll await to see if they achieve them. There is a house across the road from it in pine valley. I'm having a look at it Saturday so we'll see what that has to offer. It's out of my budget also at 750k but it'll be interesting to compare the 2. New home versus second hand do up...

I don't go to see properties which I know are out of my budget, I'm curious as to why anyone would? I'm not being judgemental here, just trying to know why you would torture yourself like that? In saying that however, I'm sure you're not alone, I've seen viewings of decent properties mobbed with no offers a month later, and anecdotally I've heard of people spending their weekends viewing houses with no real intention of buying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    I don't go to see properties which I know are out of my budget, I'm curious as to why anyone would? I'm not being judgemental here, just trying to know why you would torture yourself like that? In saying that however, I'm sure you're not alone, I've seen viewings of decent properties mobbed with no offers a month later, and anecdotally I've heard of people spending their weekends viewing houses with no real intention of buying.

Sure why not, no harm to get a feel for different levels of the market or even some decor tips. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭JohnR1968

Are any of them sold? Still quoting strong prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Red31

I was up there at a viewing a few weeks back. The estate agent said they had a handful sold alright. No clue what prices were accepted though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Price drop central up at Harold Grange today!
    750k houses down to 720k, -5%
    640k houses down to 575k, -10%

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Price drop central up at Harold Grange today!
    750k houses down to 720k, -5%
    640k houses down to 575k, -10%

I reckon they will shift at that price, certainly the ones which have dropped 10%... People love to think they are getting a "bargain" whether they are or not...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Even at that, to have dropped the prices just 4 weeks after going on view indicates to me that they've gotten a fright from the lack of interest.

If someone was interested, I'd tell them to hold off another couple of months and wait for another price drop. You'll get those 4 beds in under €500k by the winter.

As said before I've been looking in this locality for some time and with prices at where they are at now they are similar to if not below most of the second hand stock in that area. But being a new house it would mean not spending a fortune on doing some up. Starting to look like these are a bit of value now in the new homes market, will be back there tomorrow night to see what is actually available and keep posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 T.Moe

At those prices they should definitely sell in my opinion. I had a look at them 3 weeks ago and liked the houses a lot but were on the high side price wise. They are now in my price range so I am going back up at the weekend for another look.

I would disagree with Seamus about waiting a while to see if the prices drop further as I would be worried the builder sticks the prices back up if they get good sales at the reduced prices. It all depends on how serious you are about buying. I sold my apartment last year but the house I was buying fell through. I decided to sell anyway and have the money in the bank ready to buy when the right property came along. I am paying loo-lah rent at the moment so really need to buy soon -thats why I see good value in Grange Hill with the price reductions. I looked at a few other new developments but felt the prices were also too high on them - wonder if the developers there will hold firm on their prices or follow the lead of G Hill. I doubt it somehow. Most developers would rather stick it out and hope for the best rather than reacting to the times we are in.
    Am sure I am in the minority and never thought I would ever pay a compliment to a developer but fair play to him for reacting to the market so quickly. Even if I dont buy there I wish them the best.
    Dont slate me for the last comment :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I drive by a sign for the development every morning and *without fail* I think of that tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

anncoates wrote: »
    I drive by a sign for the development every morning and *without fail* I think of that tune.

Same as! :D

Put a deposit on a 4 bed up here this morning. Viewed last night and with recent price drop bought end of tce for 605k, had been very close to buying second hand in pine valley at 575k but house defo needed anoth 50-70k to put it in decent shape. Hard to justify that when this is new at 605k. Have spent months looking around and am thrilled to now have my decision made. Haven't found anywhere with a finish like these houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Best of luck with it. Keep us informed as to how things go...

Put a deposit on a 4 bed up here this morning. Viewed last night and with recent price drop bought end of tce for 605k, had been very close to buying second hand in pine valley at 575k but house defo needed anoth 50-70k to put it in decent shape. Hard to justify that when this is new at 605k. Have spent months looking around and am thrilled to now have my decision made. Haven't found anywhere with a finish like these houses.

Nice, fair play, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

It's good to see this particular developer emerging from the deluded state they were clearly in when they set the original prices but I'd say the prices on these will fall further.
    Having been on the south side housing hunt for 2 years and finally going sale agreed quite recently I went to view these more so out of curiosity last week.
    I agree the finish particularly on the five beds is high end but I personally think the location of some of the houses in the developmebt is horrendous! You are literally on the m50 and in a very bad location for public transport. I was surprised also how noisy the Harold Grange road is.They are being priced over 200k higher than Belmont in Stepaside and I cannot see the justification of it.
    I was delighted to see the initial sales being so poor-only 4 out of 19 sold prior to price drop cause it was a well needed kick up the ass to another greedy developer.
    Best of luck to those who have gone sale agreed. There is definitely something to be said for a brand spanking new gaff but for those who hang tight I believe these will fall by at least 50k more in coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 T.Moe

Hi guys.
    I viewed the houses in Grange Hill again at the weekend and took the plunge this morning and put a deposit on a four bed. The deal I got on the four bed I felt was excellent so hopefully things work out for me on it.
    ElectraX - Saying that the houses are" literally on the M-50" is a bit over the top in fairness. The houses are at a lower elevation than the M-50 so the noise is not that bad at all. The noise is a low pitched hum as opposed to being actually noisy and you cant hear a thing when you are in the houses. Some of the most expensive houses in Dublin are located on Merrion Rd which is is far noisier than the M-50 due to revving of engines etc and they are highly sought after.

Whilst I fully accept people deserve to be choosy when buying a house I dont think it is fair in describing the location of some of the houses as "Horrendous". I know I am somewhat biased in my opinion because I am buying one but you are giving people the impression that they would have to shout to be heard in their own homes.
    ElectraX - Are you an agent by any chance? Selling in Belmont? your comments are a bit on the strong side for my liking which would lead me to think you have a vested interest in seeing poor sales in Grange hill. I could be wrong with that theory but saying the prices will come down by €50K in the coming months is ridiculous - Its giving false hope to people who may be sitting on the fence in regards to buying in Grange Hill. With the economy rising it is not beyond the realms of possibility that the prices on these houses will rise by the end of the year. Of course that is what I am hoping for seeing as I am buying one.

• Advertisement

Elextra I'm not sure if you have ever set foot in Belmont as having viewed up there as recently as 3 weeks ago the only word that comes to mind is horrendous. Finished very poor and houses not fit for purpose. Finish quality in Belmont and grangehill are poles apart and I think anyone who has stood in both would have to agree. I met builder from grangehill onsite at weekend and everything I was promised I'm getting.....and a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭MayBea

Well, I am not an agent, and I am not very fond of Grange Hill either I must confess... Questionable location near M50, no Luas/no shops in walkable distance. Architecturally not to my taste also, even though a good size houses.

Maybe a. I guess it depends what your looking for... Ballally lucas is 5 mins drive away and there is a shop 200mtrs down road. Granted it's not tesco but had the essentials. Access to the m50 is important for me and it has 3 routes so I can get to it in minutes. As for the noise I've stood in my new garden on Saturday and yes I'll hear the buzz but the again if it's quiet I wanted I'd buy in the countryside. Hey at the end of the day I'm looking for months and sick of traipsing through mediocre half thought out excuses for family homes. These are big in a good location and priced the same if not better than most second hand houses I've looked at and everything in them is brand new. For me it was a no brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

ElectraX wrote: »
    It's good to see this particular developer emerging from the deluded state they were clearly in when they set the original prices but I'd say the prices on these will fall further.
    Having been on the south side housing hunt for 2 years and finally going sale agreed quite recently I went to view these more so out of curiosity last week.
    I agree the finish particularly on the five beds is high end but I personally think the location of some of the houses in the developmebt is horrendous! You are literally on the m50 and in a very bad location for public transport. I was surprised also how noisy the Harold Grange road is.They are being priced over 200k higher than Belmont in Stepaside and I cannot see the justification of it.
    I was delighted to see the initial sales being so poor-only 4 out of 19 sold prior to price drop cause it was a well needed kick up the ass to another greedy developer.
    Best of luck to those who have gone sale agreed. There is definitely something to be said for a brand spanking new gaff but for those who hang tight I believe these will fall by at least 50k more in coming months.

I agree we recently went sale agreed elsewhere on a new house in Dublin and went up to view these within a week or two of launch. Asking €640k was absurd so wasn't surprised they came down so quick however I think they could some down another €50k TBH. I'm from the area so know it well.

They are not Rathfarnham they are Ballinteer (you're in the Ballinteer parish) and Rathfarnham village is actually miles away.

They are close to Marlay Park which is a positive but quite a bit away from everything else, I think location is very poor also. You could walk through Kingston to get to no16 bus, about 10 min walk I'd say.

They are very much on the outskirts of everything and the noise from the m50 would seriously piss me off, they are literally on top of it.

The outside design is really bad I don't know what they were thinking - they look like duplex apartments more than houses. Really ugly looking houses.

They're really sandwiched between the m50 and Harold grange Road which is really busy, but everywhere north/east/west of them is actually fields so don't know why they didn't pick better site.

Even with recent price drop I don't think they will all sell for that price, would expect another 10% to come off them.

I understand why some would buy, given the luxury of walking into a brand new house but I think it's a sad state of affairs buyers are pushed into this level of house in Dublin and the developers get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

They're really sandwiched between the m50 and Harold grange Road which is really busy, but everywhere north/east/west of them is actually fields so don't know why they didn't pick better site.

I agree with you on the noise front in general, I am in an apartment backing into the Dundrum bypass at the moment, and I detest the place, looking at breaking lease and getting out early. For me, hearing any road noise from inside the house, but particularly the bedrooms, would be an absolute deal breaker. If you are out in the garden and can hear it, some might not deem it the end of the world.

In terms of why they didnt pick a better site, they didnt need to, who even knows if any others were available at the time. House prices in my opinion even on compromised sites, like you and I may deem it, dont seem to be effected much or if at all, by being on or near a busy road.

I will come back to the houses in Churchtown that were mentioned on this thread, I think they started out asking 850k, they have a big balcony from master bedroom fronting onto the ridiculously busy churchtown road. 850k for that crap, its as insane as the boom asking that IMO, except this isnt the boom! Its off the wall!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

seamus wrote:
    It's slightly further than Stocking Well, but almost the same. About as far as you can go and still claim to be "Rathfarnham". It's Ballinteer in reality, as said, but Ballinteer doesn't smell like money in the same way that Rathfarnham does. It's closer to Dundrum Village than it is to Rathfarnham Village FFS.

What's wrong with ballinteer?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

nc19 wrote: »
    What's wrong with ballinteer?
    Nothing? :confused:

But a Ballinteer address isn't worth as much as a Rathfarnham address.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Splitting hairs with the whole address thing. End of the day the postal address is Grange Road, Rathfarnham. Tara Hill and Whitechurch also have Rathfarnham address'

Im pretty sure Seamus was being tongue in cheek to be fair.

• Advertisement

To be fair my contract reads xx grangehill, harolds grange road, rathfarnham dublin 16. That would say to me that it's in rathfarnham. Unless Seamus you are the new head of an post and have re designated this address without telling anyone...... Also you may let dlrcoco know as they have it as a rathfarnham address also. Maybe they are all wrong and Seamus is right.

Advertisement