Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grange Hill Rathfarnham

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Iintripod wrote: »
    To be fair my contract reads xx grangehill, harolds grange road, rathfarnham dublin 16. That would say to me that it's in rathfarnham. Unless Seamus you are the new head of an post and have re designated this address without telling anyone...... Also you may let dlrcoco know as they have it as a rathfarnham address also. Maybe they are all wrong and Seamus is right.

Nobody is saying it's not technically Rathfarnham - it is, same way as Stocking Wood is.

But really it's Ballinteer. It's not proper Rathfarnham D14 it's Ballinteer D16 and you're in the Ballinteer parish which means your kids will go to a Ballinteer school.

So only on paper it's Rathfarnham, but in reality Ballinteer.

Maybe start a support group with the Stocking Wood residents :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Iintripod

Theboinkmaster: May get on to google maps also they have it down as rathfarnham. I guess if it walks like a duck, looks like a duck and smells like a duck it's still a chicken unless you say so....... Not really sure why this would bother you so much..... Seems simple to me. Does it have a rathfarnham address? Yes! So where's you issue apart from wanting to be responsible for drawing maps.....

Theboinkmaster: May get on to google maps also they have it down as rathfarnham. I guess if it walks like a duck, looks like a duck and smells like a duck it's still a chicken unless you say so....... Not really sure why this would bother you so much..... Seems simple to me. Does it have a rathfarnham address? Yes! So where's you issue apart from wanting to be responsible for drawing maps.....

My issue is simple - greedy developer gets to call this Rathfarnham (like Stocking Wood) and sell at a premium over Ballinteer address.

People pay Rathfarnham prices to get their kids into schools like Loreto as it's in the Rathfarnham parish. These "houses" are nowhere near the Rathfarnham parish they're in the Ballinteer parish therefore you live in Ballinteer effectively not Rathfarnham, but still paying a premium.

People come onto this thread asking others their opinion and that's just mine. You're coming across very defensive - its like the Limekiln Road addresses that are in Terenure, but they're D12.

Maybe people are deluded into thinking they live in Rathfarnham by paying these prices like the poor bastards up in Stocking Wood.

But your missing my point here. Everything about these houses say rathfarnham, (dlrcoco, an post, developer, Google maps) you say ballinteer. I'm just pointing out that this is a rathfarnham address according to all of the above. Is that not true?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

But your missing my point here. Everything about these houses say rathfarnham, (dlrcoco, an post, developer, Google maps) you say ballinteer. I'm just pointing out that this is a rathfarnham address according to all of the above. Is that not true?

Its the same as many other areas which are viewed as semi desireable having any of a ridiculous number of surrounding areas try to tag themselves onto the desireable area (aside from anything else- it helps with house prices). Look at Lucan. Areas that were once Neilstown- and reknowned as an unofficial halting site- have been cleared and developed over the past 15 years- and all of a sudden are 'Lucan Co. Dublin'. Liffey Valley Shopping Centre (which I don't think anyone can dispute is Neilstown) was 'Palmerstown' on its original planning permission and then Lucan Co. Dublin. Large parts of Clonee Co. Meath- have managed to even switch county altogether- and are Dublin 15.

If you go to register your children in school in Rathfarnham- you'll find you're not in the 'Catchment area' for the Rathfarnham schools (same way as I live on Main Street in Lucan Village- and my children are not in the Catchment Area for the Gaelscoil Naomh Pádraig or Gaelscoil Eiscir Riada- up Adamstown direction- despite their address being 'Lucan'........

Yes- there is a snob factor- I don't think anyone can deny it- but the simple fact of the matter is none of these areas were traditionally Rathfarnham (or in my case- Lucan)........

In Lucan's case- the residents insisting on calling it Lucan Co. Dublin- was instrumental in the local postal sorting office in the village closing to the public- and being attached onto Fonthill/Clondalkin instead........

Some might call it progress. Of a kind........

• Advertisement

You need to re-read my posts :rolleyes:

I have all of that but the point was also made that these houses were being labelled rathfarnham to achieve rathfarnham prices however they are actually cheaper and better quality than any new development in rathfarnham ie hersilwood, they are also better priced than most second hand homes in either ballinteer or rathfarnham so I'm just not getting the point being made that the developer is being greedy trying to use a rathfarnham address...... It's being used because it is a rathfarnham address".................Anyway.... Time for me to start planning our move this weekend. #theexcitement.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I have all of that but the point was also made that these houses were being labelled rathfarnham to achieve rathfarnham prices however they are actually cheaper and better quality than any new development in rathfarnham ie hersilwood, they are also better priced than most second hand homes in either ballinteer or rathfarnham so I'm just not getting the point being made that the developer is being greedy trying to use a rathfarnham address...... It's being used because it is a rathfarnham address".................Anyway.... Time for me to start planning our move this weekend. #theexcitement.....

Best of luck, I like the location, not perfect but can't imagine too many developments in the general area will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

salmocab wrote: »
    Best of luck, I like the location, not perfect but can't imagine too many developments in the general area will be.

5 mins walk to Marlay Park; 5 mins walk to the pub; 5 mins drive to Dundrum TC; 5 mins drive to M50; 5 mins drive to Ticknock Wood.

Can't understand the hate for this site tbh. Has a lot going for it IMO.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    5 mins walk to Marlay Park; 5 mins walk to the pub; 5 mins drive to Dundrum TC; 5 mins drive to M50; 5 mins drive to Ticknock Wood.

Can't understand the hate for this site tbh. Has a lot going for it IMO.

Yeah the proximity of the M50 isn't great but everything else is grand I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

5 mins walk to Marlay Park; 5 mins walk to the pub;
    Is their pavements for walking on those routes? It's a nice location, but seemed a little car-bound to me.

RainyDay wrote: »
    Is their pavements for walking on those routes? It's a nice location, but seemed a little car-bound to me.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Yes

Its not quite so simple. There are paths but only on one side of the road and its not a continuous part on one side so you must cross over the main road, which has no pedestrian lights, twice to get from GH to Marley park.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Its not quite so simple. There are paths but only on one side of the road and its not a continuous part on one side so you must cross over the main road, which has no pedestrian lights, twice to get from GH to Marley park.

Yeah, real rural like.

Yeah, real rural like.

Rural no but that wasnt my point, it os however dangerous. The fact they needed someone flagging down traffic to allow people cross the road when I was viewing shows they know its not the easiest road to cross.

When the whole site is finished there'll be footpath the whole way down to the shops.

Enough of the dramatics.

You seem to read into things a strange way first rural, now drama, I'm simply stating what is there right now, not what will be there in the future.

Have they bought all the properties needed to finish the site? there appears to be two still being lived in which are in the middle of the proposed final site.

Yes
    OK, You're thinking of Taylors as the local pub. I was thinking of Lamb Doyles, which doesn't have a pavement all the way up. So yes, Taylor's has a pavement, though with a bit of road-hopping involved.

When the whole site is finished there'll be footpath the whole way down to the shops.
    What shops?

there is a newsagents and a hardware shop about 400 mts down the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

To be fair my contract reads xx grangehill, harolds grange road, rathfarnham dublin 16. That would say to me that it's in rathfarnham. Unless Seamus you are the new head of an post and have re designated this address without telling anyone...... Also you may let dlrcoco know as they have it as a rathfarnham address also. Maybe they are all wrong and Seamus is right.

An Post do not designate addresses, it is completely unregulated. Grangehill is located in Ballinteer and you are closer to Sandyford Village than Rathfarnham. Developers will make up an address purely for vanity reasons. A Rathfarnham address will sell easier than a Ballinteer address.

Another example not too far away is Belmont, Stepaside which is actually in Woodside, Sandyford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

About five minutes walk or 30 minutes drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

wrt40 wrote: »
    An Post do not designate addresses, it is completely unregulated.

Indeed. I lived in an apartment once which was advertised by the developer as Santry, D9. Residents used that address or Coolock, D9 (oxymoron in itself) or, in a few brave instances, Beaumont, D9. After a few months, An Post sent everyone a letter telling us that the correct address was (estate name), D17 without any local area name.

The contract had a different address - (estate name) in the Barony of Coolock. That was my preferred address :)

An Post do not designate addresses, it is completely unregulated. Grangehill is located in Ballinteer and you are closer to Sandyford Village than Rathfarnham. Developers will make up an address purely for vanity reasons. A Rathfarnham address will sell easier than a Ballinteer address.

Another example not too far away is Belmont, Stepaside which is actually in Woodside, Sandyford.

Another example is Dalriada (Knocklyon) and Stocking Wood (Rathfarnham). Two estates that are literally across the road from each other. Stocking Wood is closer to Tallaght than Rathfarnham.

That's great if you run out of WD40 or sum copies late on a Thursday night, but not a whole lot of use as a general shopping service for an estate.

Have things changed from Liam Lawlor's day, when An Post did designate addresses?
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/an-post-says-staff-did-not-change-address-1.1153122

RainyDay wrote: »
    That's great if you run out of WD40 or sum copies late on a Thursday night, but not a whole lot of use as a general shopping service for an estate.

[/url]

I was replying to the previous post that asked where the shops were. As it happens the shop is grand for what it is, does bread milk etc. nice rolls the newspapers and sweets, crisps etc

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

T.Moe wrote: »
    ElectraX - Are you an agent by any chance? Selling in Belmont? your comments are a bit on the strong side for my liking which would lead me to think you have a vested interest in seeing poor sales in Grange hill. I could be wrong with that theory but saying the prices will come down by €50K in the coming months is ridiculous - Its giving false hope to people who may be sitting on the fence in regards to buying in Grange Hill. With the economy rising it is not beyond the realms of possibility that the prices on these houses will rise by the end of the year. Of course that is what I am hoping for seeing as I am buying one.

T.Moe-I assure you I'm not an agent LOL! I've just been on the southside house hunt that bit too long and maybe it's left me cynical but I think Grange hill was another example of an overpriced southside development taking advantage of the lack of supply at the time it was built.Look how easily they dropped the prices when they realised nobody was buying. It's not outside the realms of possibility that with the trend in the last few weeks of prices falling and increased stock on the market, that they will have to drop prices further to shift the rest of these.
    I agree they are a much nicer finish than Belmont-that place is still like a building site and will remain that way for a long time.And what were they thinking with those car ports???!!!
    However I would be very surprised to see Grange Hill increase in value given the number of clear negatives in location, transport etc. and frankly because they are still overpriced.

ElectraX, I've been critical of the Grange Hill houses however I wouldn't rush to say they are still overpriced if you are comparing to Belmont. If you compare the 4 beds, GH is ~€305 per sqf while Belmont is ~€345. The Belmont 4 beds can't even fit a proper table into the kitchen, look at what they have in the promo images. Granted my comparison is mid terrace (GH) and semi-d (belmont) but it's comparing the cheapest similar unit in both estates.

If I was looking to buy a new 4 bed I would think the Grange Hill ones are a better buy if you could get one in the middle of the development rather than on the M50 or grange road.

Traffic will be an issue IMO in Belmont, there are 300 Belmont house, with more Belarmine houses being released soon and then there is still free space for more building which i would expect to happen in due course, all coming out onto an already congested road. When it snows people can't park in the estate as they can't get up the hill,granted that doesn't happen very often. Parking will be as much an issue in Belmont as GH, the estate in general is far too compact. There is also a site close to Belmont set aside for a halting site and a large number of social housing, usually these have a negative impact on house prizes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

People can't just pull addresses out of their proverbial. I am far from an address snob, but some of them just don't make sense at all.

Stocking Wood is not Rathfarnham. Granted, the Civil Parish of Rathfarnham does extend just beyond the M50, but a bit further to the North than Stocking Lane. Stocking Wood is in the Civil Parish of Cruagh, and in the Townland of Woodtown. So really it's address should be Stocking Wood, Woodtown, Cruagh, Dublin 16.

Grange Hill is in the Civil Parish of Whitechurch, and the Townland of Stackstown. It's proper address is Grange Hill, Stackstown, Whitechurch, Dublin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

interesting, spockety. just curious, what is your source for definitive addressing such as this?

i grew up in pine valley.. some of our parents called it rathfarnham.. but i completely agree with the people calling grange hill ballinteer. it's very far away from rathfarnham.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Www.townlands.ie has definitive mapping for the area.

Advertisement