Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grange Hill Rathfarnham

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭MayBea

ElectraX, I've been critical of the Grange Hill houses however I wouldn't rush to say they are still overpriced if you are comparing to Belmont. If you compare the 4 beds, GH is ~€305 per sqf while Belmont is ~€345.
    Slight correction here, it's €3,290 per sq m in Grange Hill (175 sq m, asking 575K) vs €3,300 in Belmont (150 sq m, asking 495K).
    But I second everything else said - I was sceptical at first, but I liked the houses and the finishings and appliances are a way better in Grange Hill. I'd say they probably are not a bad value for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Where are you seeing the house size is 150 sqm. On myhome it has them listed as ~135sqm. That's what I based my calculations on.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭MayBea

Where are you seeing the house size is 150 sqm. On myhome it has them listed as ~135sqm. That's what I based my calculations on.

We reserved one last Saturday, it is the extended 4-bed (house type J2A).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

spockety wrote: »
    Www.townlands.ie has definitive mapping for the area.
    While from an historical perspective knowing the townlands is great, modern addresses tend to become established through common usage and an post designation, more than based on the old townlands maps.

Take Ballycullen as an example. The housing estate there, Woodstown, is addressed in Knocklyon, and has been pretty much since its inception. An posts calls it Knocklyon, it's locally recognised as Knocklyon.

Hunterswood, to the west, is listed as Ballycullen in the land registry (no, really), and as Firhouse by An Post.

Dalriada, which is under construction to the south of Woodstown is being listed by the developer as Knocklyon. And he'll probably end up getting away with it, just by repeating it.

Similar for Grange Hill, while it's clearly more Ballinteer than Rathfarnham, if the developer just continues to repeat it often enough, he'll probably get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

So what's going on with Grange Hill?

Work appears to be almost stagnant on site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Builder's Holidays till next week.

seamus wrote: »
    Builder's Holidays till next week.

They still do that?

Been very little work going on the last month or so from what I can see and I pass at least twice a day.

I wonder are they taking a different approach seeing as they didn't sell that well. Build some, sell them and then build some more. If they are struggling to sell at the current prices it doesn't make sense to throw up a load more of the same type.

It's possible they may cut back on the spec for future ones, like they are apparently doing with Belmont in Stepaside. If they we're selling for 500K I would imagine they will go a lot quicker but I'd imagine if the builders are going to reduce the prices again they will make changes to the spec, less bedrooms/bathrooms

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Iintripod

Was up there last week picking out internal stuff for my house, they are finished building the first phase and said that they won't be starting the second bit till September as they are finishing the insides of first phase.

Iintripod wrote: »
    Was up there last week picking out internal stuff for my house, they are finished building the first phase and said that they won't be starting the second bit till September as they are finishing the insides of first phase.

I.e. won't be starting the second phase until they sell most of the first phase?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Iintripod

They had 4 left in first phase last week the lady was telling me. All the inside works on people's houses in phase 1 have to be done

Iintripod wrote: »
    They had 4 left in first phase last week the lady was telling me. All the inside works on people's houses in phase 1 have to be done

If that's the case you would think they'd be lashing in to phase two. I wonder is it actually the case though?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

spockety wrote: »
    Www.townlands.ie has definitive mapping for the area.

Civil parishes aren't that helpful in this regard. Blackrock for example doesn't exist as a a civil parish, maybe deds provide a guide.

In relation to the postal address. According to this fine book:
    http://www.gillmacmillanbooks.ie/reference/reference/a-portrait-of-dublin-in-maps

An post are reticent about publishing the boundaries of districts i.e. the bit that comes before Dublin X, e.g. Rathfarnham, Ballinteer, Sandyford. If the developer calls it Rathfarham, people use that address and An Post delivers the mail then I guess its a Rathfarham address. It may be a small enclave of Rathfarnham surrounded by Ballinteer. I have heard of instances of An Post telling people to stop putting Blackrock in there address, they were however in Dublin 14 and a different sorting office.

I think Grange Hill is in a good location assuming it isn't too noisy because of the M50. Unfortunately the address may matter in terms of price. On the one hand maybe people are over paying, on the other hand maybe it'll hold its value better for being in Rathfarnham. Long term may be they should abolish Ballinteer to boost property tax receipts.

Grange Hill is nearer Ballinteer and as far as I can see Dundrum than it is 'fashionable' Rathfarnham. Either way its in Dublin 16. Once you are in double figures even even ones you are beyond the pale (metaphically and sometimes literally) as far as I'm concerned so it all the one really.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I have heard of instances of An Post telling people to stop putting Blackrock in there address, they were however in Dublin 14 and a different sorting office.

That includes the entire Leopardstown Road area- which tried, unsuccessfully, to call itself Blackrock, once upon a time. An Post were a lot more proactive at knocking these things on the head back in the olden days.

That includes the entire Leopardstown Road area- which tried, unsuccessfully, to call itself Blackrock, once upon a time. An Post were a lot more proactive at knocking these things on the head back in the olden days.

BTW these guys are really sells themselves short out of snobbery
    (http://www.grangehill.ie/local-amenities.html)
    Dundrum Shopping Centre which is one of Europe’s largest retail centres is a short five minute drive away[Bulls**t] and boasts every imaginable shop under one roof. Sandyford industrial estate, the Beacon complex and Leopardstown race course are other well know amenities within easy reach. The Grange Road Shopping Centre is within walking distance providing a myriad of different shops including Lidl and Centra right on your doorstep.
    They don't mention that Supervalue in Ballinteer is less tha a mile away/20 mins walk. Or to put it another way the stunning range of products in the glorious aisles of Supervalue in the charming village of Ballinteer are a short stroll away trough the pleasant surroundings of Kingston and Ballintyre.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/53.26791,-6.25475/Ballinteer,+Ireland/@53.2713092,-6.2574484,16.75z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d-6.2539119!2d53.2725265!3s0x48670bd50eba3f47:0xf05c3d9a3948eb56!1m5!1m1!1s0x4867097d2c84432f:0x2600c7a7bab45cb1!2m2!1d-6.2535293!2d53.2746173!3e2?hl=en-US

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Charisma

Really the world has gone mad. These houses are at the back end of Rathfarnham and look like council houses (nothing against council houses) They are just off a big main Rd and beside the M50. The traffic up that way is chronic in the mornings and that Rd is lethal if you had to walk kids or a dog. Also they are over 3 floors which is a no go as far as Im concerned. Why would anyone pay over €600,000.00 for one of these when you can get a really good bigger detached house in central Rathfarnham for less than that. People are mad to pay this. If there are any mad people looking for a house in Rathfarnham Ill sell ya my 3 bed terraced for that much. Imagine. Id go down the road and buy a better one with the dosh. Mine will be going for sale over the next year or so for nearer to half that price and its in central Rathfarnham,its beside schools and the bus stop, not half way up the hills and a realistic 10- 15 mins walk from Nutgrove Shopping Centre and Butterfield. Big front and back gardens and not over looked. No contest. I know what Id be spending my money on if I was buying and its not a high rise house on a main Rd that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Im not sure why people are getting hung up on the rathfarnham/balinteer thing presumably everyone that buys one of these houses will go to the houses and see where they are and not just buy randomly based on ads they see. My own tuppence worth is the location is okay reasonable access to some good facilities etc, Marley park, 3 rock mountain, supervalu, Dundrum shopping. Not too far from m50 from an access point of view but too close from a noise point. Prices seem quite high compared to 2nd hand houses within a few miles but again if the people view and are happy then its worth it to them.

Civil parishes aren't that helpful in this regard. Blackrock for example doesn't exist as a a civil parish, maybe deds provide a guide.

In relation to the postal address. According to this fine book:
    http://www.gillmacmillanbooks.ie/reference/reference/a-portrait-of-dublin-in-maps

An post are reticent about publishing the boundaries of districts i.e. the bit that comes before Dublin X, e.g. Rathfarnham, Ballinteer, Sandyford. If the developer calls it Rathfarham, people use that address and An Post delivers the mail then I guess its a Rathfarham address. It may be a small enclave of Rathfarnham surrounded by Ballinteer. I have heard of instances of An Post telling people to stop putting Blackrock in there address, they were however in Dublin 14 and a different sorting office.

Turns out I was wrong about Mount Merrion, half of it was in County Dublin and got its post from the Blackrock post depot. As a result it's now in A94 with Greater Blackrock.

A94.png

As for Grange Hill, at the moment its actually in a tiny enclave of Stepaside inside the M50. This may change when people actually start living there. Apparently it's near Foxrock, this can only be good.

356949.png

Price drop on the 4 bed to €575k.

Starting to get a bit more realistic now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Price drop on the 4 bed to €575k.

Starting to get a bit more realistic now.

Is that not what the original drop was, is this a second drop?

• Advertisement

Is that not what the original drop was, is this a second drop?

I think it was 620 > 640 > 595 > 575

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

Once you are in double figures even even ones you are beyond the pale (metaphically and sometimes literally) as far as I'm concerned so it all the one really.

I doubt the residents of the Clonskeagh area would agree with you!

That price drop happened a while ago, a month or more ago. Once they dropped they appear to have starting to sell. Someone mentioned there were only 4 of the first release left. I can see them struggling to shift more with the next release unless they shave a bit more off the prices. You would think anyone who was interested would have bought them by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Same as! :D
    Irish building companies come up with silly names, especially over the last 20 yrs or so.

Grange Hill?

What next? Albert Square? Weatherfield? Byker Grove? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

KungPao wrote: »
    Irish building companies come up with silly names, especially over the last 20 yrs or so.

Grange Hill?

What next? Albert Square? Weatherfield? Byker Grove? :D

to be fair its near lots of places with the 'grange' name and its on a hill

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Maybe the developer was a fan!

omicron wrote: »
    I doubt the residents of the Clonskeagh area would agree with you!
    The ones living in Dublin 6 might, as for the others, sure they have some strange notions:

tumblr_nhtvegVqzU1rsmo4uo2_1280.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

the old house on the site was called Grange Hill. it far predates the tv show..

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

I'm on board for the Grange Hill as well, deposit down last week. I must say there is an amusing amount of haters out there, not sure what the motives are but having spent the last 6 months looking at houses and apartments in Dublin I wasn't able to find anything which matched up to the spec of Grange Hill. Looking forward to the next steps.... [play theme tune]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Earleybird wrote: »
    I'm on board for the Grange Hill as well, deposit down last week. I must say there is an amusing amount of haters out there, not sure what the motives are but having spent the last 6 months looking at houses and apartments in Dublin I wasn't able to find anything which matched up to the spec of Grange Hill. Looking forward to the next steps.... [play theme tune]

Welcome to boards, good first post.

Advertisement