Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grange Hill Rathfarnham

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Earleybird wrote: »
    I'm on board for the Grange Hill as well, deposit down last week. I must say there is an amusing amount of haters out there, not sure what the motives are but having spent the last 6 months looking at houses and apartments in Dublin I wasn't able to find anything which matched up to the spec of Grange Hill. Looking forward to the next steps.... [play theme tune]

Congrats on your pending purchase :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Ah good old estate agents and their tricks. I noticed the prices for Grangehill went back up yesterday and now the EA is advertising that you get 5% cashback upon closing, which almost exactly equals the price increase.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Just passing by and saw a removals truck pulling in. Are they moving people in now?

Rest of site seems stagnant while the other development Silverton seems to be flying along.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

We've put a deposit down for Grange Hill too. Hope to close soon. We were super impressed with the finish and the location is great for us. Although the prices seemed high a year or so ago, after months of house hunting I'm happy that we've made a good purchase. Rathfarnham is incredibly expensive and when you compare grange hill to what else is available that that price level there's no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Well this would make you sick.

Wouldn't be lining these guys pockets.

http://www.newsscoops.org/?p=2042

• Advertisement

Wow. That is not a good read. Not a good read at all.

highly1111 wrote: »
    We've put a deposit down for Grange Hill too. Hope to close soon. We were super impressed with the finish and the location is great for us. Although the prices seemed high a year or so ago, after months of house hunting I'm happy that we've made a good purchase. Rathfarnham is incredibly expensive and when you compare grange hill to what else is available that that price level there's no comparison.

It's hardly rathfarnham though!
    Address might say that but......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

KungPao wrote: »
    Irish building companies come up with silly names, especially over the last 20 yrs or so.

Grange Hill?

What next? Albert Square? Weatherfield? Byker Grove? :D

God damn hope so, just so I can "Byker Byker Byker Byker, Byker Grove. Yeah!" every time I pass it by! :pac:

Was up this way during the week. Traffic was mental, 30 minutes down to grange road at 16:30

Rackstar wrote: »
    Was up this way during the week. Traffic was mental, 30 minutes down to grange road at 16:30

If the '50 is blocked up, as it can be many evenings, people often skip off at Sandyford and cut across to Knocklyon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭JohnR1968

Is the first phase finished out yet? Seems very quiet on the site whenever I pass.

JohnR1968 wrote: »
    Is the first phase finished out yet? Seems very quiet on the site whenever I pass.

All in bar two houses.

Have started selling phase two and all the 5 beds and the 4 Beds end of terrace are sold. Silverton beside them are crazy money and making GH look like a bargain. Can't see Silverton selling well at all - especially with hazelbrook launching too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cailinanmaith

Time to put the record straight. Firstly Google any developers name who built houses in the boom and you will get negative stories. Thankfully there are now strict regulations in place to put a stop to any mal practice. If a fire occurred in any development that was built during the boom I believe at least half would have the same issue as the news article feature detailed in this thread.

I'm a resident in Grange Hill. Call it Rathfarnham, Ballinteer or Sandyford I wouldn't care as its the actual location that people like myself purchased here, right next to Marlay Park and 20 minutes walk to Dundrum. The finish we got is superb and independent engineers reports etc have put purchasers minds like mine to rest in here. <snip>

These houses are so well finished and for the prices offer second to none value. This is a genuine post from a resident that albeit laughs at these posts has now decided to input due to the craziness of previous posts. I work 9-5 and drive to the city on days I chose not to take bus or LUAS in 40 minutes on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

curious how long it takes you to get to / from the luas?

congrats on your purchase, delighted you're happy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Thankfully there are now strict regulations in place to put a stop to any mal practice.
    Not really. There is still huge debate in the construction sector about the cost and effectiveness of the new regulations.
    The finish we got is superb and independent engineers reports etc have put purchasers minds like mine to rest in here. <snip>
    Great news, and this is the key. It seems to be often missed in discussions about the fire-trap developments that;
    1) Each purchaser got a survey done
    2) Each purchaser's solicitor, who is supposed to be protecting the purchaser's interests, accepted the survey

There's two professionals, each with indemnity insurance, who should be on the hook for what happened in other cases.

It's great to hear that your own surveyor signed off on this development.

cravings wrote: »

Thank you, 20 minutes via Kingston.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Not really. There is still huge debate in the construction sector about the cost and effectiveness of the new regulations.

Great news, and this is the key. It seems to be often missed in discussions about the fire-trap developments that;
    2) Each purchaser's solicitor, who is supposed to be protecting the purchaser's interests, accepted the survey

There's two professionals, each with indemnity insurance, who should be on the hook for what happened in other cases.

Off topic, but I don't believe the solicitor "accpepts" the survey. The solicitor is on the hook if something comes back on the conveyancing etc, but its the surveyors professional indemnity that you go after if its something that their survey should have uncovered.

Most surveys are visual inspections however, and if the issue is only apparent if you knock through the walls (which no vendor would agree to), then I cant' see how you'd be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

These houses are so well finished and for the prices offer second to none value. This is a genuine post from a resident that albeit laughs at these posts has now decided to input due to the craziness of previous posts. I work 9-5 and drive to the city on days I chose not to take bus or LUAS in 40 minutes on average.

No way you are getting into town on the Bus in 40 minutes, the only bus into town from there is the 16 right? and that takes at least an hour to get into town from Kingston add the 10 minute walk to the bus stop it's almost double your 40 minutes into town. but even at an hour or so it's not too bad of a commute.

The luas while a much further walk would get you into town quickest imo, but I'd put the walk for most people at 30 minutes to the luas stop.

Best of luck with the house, I liked them when I viewed but they were out of our budget and not the right location for us. Hopefully all goes well for you.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Off topic, but I don't believe the solicitor "accpepts" the survey. The solicitor is on the hook if something comes back on the conveyancing etc, but its the surveyors professional indemnity that you go after if its something that their survey should have uncovered.

Most surveys are visual inspections however, and if the issue is only apparent if you knock through the walls (which no vendor would agree to), then I cant' see how you'd be covered.

You can guarantee the terms and conditions attached to the survey cover all their bases for anything outside the scope of the survey or developing problems.

highly1111 wrote: »
    All in bar two houses.

Have started selling phase two and all the 5 beds and the 4 Beds end of terrace are sold. Silverton beside them are crazy money and making GH look like a bargain. Can't see Silverton selling well at all - especially with hazelbrook launching too.

I'm not that aware of Hazelbrook, but from previously looking at Silverton, it seemed to be a more prestigious development, and the site looked more spaced out. Also, its actually in Rathfarnham, whilst GH is (although not technically) definitely in Ballinteer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

No way you are getting into town on the Bus in 40 minutes, the only bus into town from there is the 16 right?
    The only bus stop that goes close to GH is the 16, the last stop is on the Grange Rd at the entrance to the Kingston estate.
    It might take 40 minutes in the middle of the day but during peak rush hour the 16 can take 40 minutes and longer to get from town to Rathfarnham village. I've a friend who lives just off Grange Rd near St Endas and he often gets the Luas to Dundrum and walks from there to his gaff as its quicker than that bus during peak times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

The solicitor is supposed to be protecting the interests of their client. Most of us purchase 1 or 2 houses in our lifetime, so we're not going to have great experience to draw from on the detail of the nature of the survey. A decent solicitor will be working on 1 or 2 purchases every day or every week, and has the experience and expertise to advise their client.

If they advise their client that a 'visual inspection' only is acceptable, they should at least be highlighting that risk to their clients.

I think the days of visual inspection only are gone, with the new BCAR regs, where an architect is on the hook for signing off that the development was done in compliance with building regs.
    You can guarantee the terms and conditions attached to the survey cover all their bases for anything outside the scope of the survey or developing problems.

Maybe, but at a minimum, I would expect solicitors to be making sure their clients understand what they are letting themselves in for.

Thanks I work in the sector but believe the rules are effective from a purchasers perspective as person/professional team and those signing off are on the hook. Not so great from a cost perspective for developers and viability of developments. Developers such as these are under scrutiny and many are more conscious than ever of the regulations/scrutiny from past endeavours.

The solicitor is supposed to be protecting the interests of their client. Most of us purchase 1 or 2 houses in our lifetime, so we're not going to have great experience to draw from on the detail of the nature of the survey. A decent solicitor will be working on 1 or 2 purchases every day or every week, and has the experience and expertise to advise their client.

If they advise their client that a 'visual inspection' only is acceptable, they should at least be highlighting that risk to their clients.

I think the days of visual inspection only are gone, with the new BCAR regs, where an architect is on the hook for signing off that the development was done in compliance with building regs.

Maybe, but at a minimum, I would expect solicitors to be making sure their clients understand what they are letting themselves in for.

I think you're confusing what a purchasers solicitor/surveyor is expected to do, versus the architect/engineer who is signing off on the development as a whole is meant to do. Obviously the latter should be well aware of whats going on behind the walls and should be monitoring the build periodically as it progresses. And yes, I agree that they should have to answer if they sign off without doing their due diligence.

A vendors independent surveyor will likely only be on site once, and they property is likely to be finished at that point. Therefore, they can look for visual defects, like cracks in the walls, irregularity with the brickwork, gaps in the party walls in the attics etc, but not much else. They're not going to be permitted to start poking holes in walls, as the purchaser doesn't own the property yet so they can't ask for this to be done. A survey typically costs €350-500, so there is no way anything invasive can be done for that money.

A solicitor will probably tell you that a survey is a good idea for your peace of mind, but I don't believe they're under any obligation to push the idea. Its totally up to the purchaser and their own common sense. They certainly don't have to audit the survey itself once completed, nor do they have to stand over what it says.

A solicitor would only be liable if they missed something legal, like not pointing out a right of way across your property, or if they represented something as freehold when it was leasehold for example.

No way you are getting into town on the Bus in 40 minutes, the only bus into town from there is the 16 right? and that takes at least an hour to get into town from Kingston add the 10 minute walk to the bus stop it's almost double your 40 minutes into town. but even at an hour or so it's not too bad of a commute.

The luas while a much further walk would get you into town quickest imo, but I'd put the walk for most people at 30 minutes to the luas stop.

Best of luck with the house, I liked them when I viewed but they were out of our budget and not the right location for us. Hopefully all goes well for you.

Thank you, 40 minutes drive in the car. Averaging 30-45 mins depending on daily traffic. The bus would be longer. We love the rural setting of the houses so don't mind the drive to work at all. Good luck with your search.

groovyg wrote: »
    The only bus stop that goes close to GH is the 16, the last stop is on the Grange Rd at the entrance to the Kingston estate.
    It might take 40 minutes in the middle of the day but during peak rush hour the 16 can take 40 minutes and longer to get from town to Rathfarnham village. I've a friend who lives just off Grange Rd near St Endas and he often gets the Luas to Dundrum and walks from there to his gaff as its quicker than that bus during peak times.

40 minutes drive in the morning and evening from city centre. The bus takes 35-40 minutes outside peak time depending on where in the city your going from.

cravings wrote: »

Thanks 20 mins via Kingston.

How many units are filled now in GH? What's the craic with the second phase?

• Site Banned Posts: 108 ✭✭Shawn Michaels

I viewed the 5 bed and thought it was lovely. Excellent BER rating and superb finish. Nice part of town too. I have no connection with the developer.

• Advertisement

Thanks 20 mins via Kingston.

It's more like a 40 minute walk to Balally.

If we double your 40 minute drive into the city centre to 80 minutes, that is also a lot more realistic.

Advertisement