Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Half marathon 20/9/14 *Mod note in 1st post*

Options
  • 08-09-2014 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭

No thread already? Its getting close

here's the map

and here's last year's thread

only just noticed that this year we run down the Kyber at the start, and up Wellington. Same as the last couple of years?

Edit by robinph:
    Just because some people seem to be struggling with the concept:

NO NUMBER TRANSFER REQUESTS
    Post will be deleted, and infractions and bans handed out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

RayCun wrote: »
    No thread already? Its getting close

here's the map

and here's last year's thread

only just noticed that this year we run down the Kyber at the start, and up Wellington. Same as the last couple of years?

Same as last year anyway. Only difference is the longer stint out of the park, taking out military hill and coming back in Chapelizod gate.

Is pretty congested heading down the Kyber at the start from what remember (did it as a training run last year).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I'm in for this. First ever road half marathon.

With those running the marathon, how do you approach the race? Go all out, set a time and thus set a marathon target? Or use it as a marathon pace run?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Philrunner83

First half marathon looking forward to it..Am I right in thinking the most significant climbs are from mile 11?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    With those running the marathon, how do you approach the race? Go all out, set a time and thus set a marathon target? Or use it as a marathon pace run?

this for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    I'm in for this. First ever road half marathon.

The million dollar question for me at the moment.

Racing it and taking a mini taper before and recovery after will take a lot out of my 12 week schedule for DCM. Usually takes me a while to recover from racing a half.
    I'm leaning towards running it as MP run and train through as per my plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭krafty

First half marathon looking forward to it..Am I right in thinking the most significant climbs are from mile 11?

My first too. The most significant climb is from the chapelizod entrance near the 12 mile mark for about 3 quarters of a mile.

www dot gmap-pedometer dot com/?r=6432458

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Philrunner83

Thanks krafty!! best of luck hope you have a great run

• Registered Users Posts: 42 RunningFree 2014

I only started running at the start of the year and running this has been my big goal!!! I found the Frank Duffy 10 Mile very tough so am really worried about this. I wasn't feeling the best on that day though so hopefully will be a bit stronger next week. The hill after the Chapelizod Gate in the ten mile almost broke me the last time so I'll be attacking it with my game-face on for the half!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Hi all

I also lost it at that hill.. Yuch. Very eager to try and break the two hour mark!! Any idea what strategy the pacers will be taking ? Tried to bank time at the ten mile and ended up in a ditch so thought strapping myself to a pacer might be the best way forward?

Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm in for this, ran it last year in 2:02:xx, which was a bit disappointing. Hoping for 1:45 this year, I'm not really considering it as part of a LSR or a M-Pace run, I can do those for free anytime!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

As someone pacing 2 hrs, our aim is to tear off and do a couple of 7 minute miles at the start - only joking:pac:

The aim is to get you all home around 1.59.30 or thereabouts so depending on the day itself, it will be even pacing. With the first bit down the Kyber, the first mile will be a little quicker but once you get to the zoo and the road thins out, the pace will even out. Roughly its a 9.05 minute mile, for those who live in Kilometers (why?) its roughly 5.40 a km

Banking time isn't necessary unless you've a very hill course and if you done some hills in training, you'll be grand hopefully. Slow and steady wins the race.

Also, strapping yourself to a pacer isn't necessary as we may run up/down the road to encourage people on but the thing to do would be to start near us or whatever pace group you wish to follow and to use us as a guide so if you do start to drop back a bit, you can see us up ahead and remember that we're aiming to be 30 seconds ahead of target.

Good luck and come say hello, we don't bite usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Hi,

First time posting in the Athletics/Running forum but I've been a lurker for the last year or so since taking up running and losing 7.5 stone. It's a very helpful resource and I'd like to thank your all for you the tips and experiences shared to date.
    I started running last May and completed the NHS choices Couch to 5K podcasts programme last year from May through to August and did my first 5K race last November (Run in the Dark). Since the start of the year I moved up to the 10K distance and have done 5-6 races over the course of this year and the Dublin Half will be my first attempt at a half marathon.

I've had a small issue in the last month or so with my hamstring after getting a 10K PB at the Rose of Tralee 10K (48:28) that's hampered my training a small bit but feels okay now and the physio/rehab has gone well. I was originally hoping to do the Dublin Half in 2 hours and based my training and pacing on that but for now I'm just hoping to get around in a decent shape as I've never ran that distance/time before (I had gotten up to 16K/1hr 30mins 4 weeks ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

chinguetti wrote: »
    As someone pacing 2 hrs, our aim is to tear off and do a couple of 7 minute miles at the start - only joking:pac:

The aim is to get you all home around 1.59.30 or thereabouts so depending on the day itself, it will be even pacing. With the first bit down the Kyber, the first mile will be a little quicker but once you get to the zoo and the road thins out, the pace will even out. Roughly its a 9.05 minute mile, for those who live in Kilometers (why?) its roughly 5.40 a km

Banking time isn't necessary unless you've a very hill course and if you done some hills in training, you'll be grand hopefully. Slow and steady wins the race.

Also, strapping yourself to a pacer isn't necessary as we may run up/down the road to encourage people on but the thing to do would be to start near us or whatever pace group you wish to follow and to use us as a guide so if you do start to drop back a bit, you can see us up ahead and remember that we're aiming to be 30 seconds ahead of target.

Good luck and come say hello, we don't bite usually.

Sounds good. I will be following you! My time last year was 2.02. The first 7 miles I ran under 9 minutes per mile, then I slowed down and mile 12 was 9.47. If I can keep more evenly paced and finish under 2 hours without feeling as rough as I did last year (although it was a hot day) I will be delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Looking forward to this, it'll be my first longer race, looks an interesting course with the climb towards the finish.

My biggest worry is pacing myself correctly so gonna try and do out a list of different splits to hit to make sure I'm on track.

With that in mind, does anyone whether distance markers are done out in km or miles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

LUPE wrote: »
    Looking forward to this, it'll be my first longer race, looks an interesting course with the climb towards the finish.

My biggest worry is pacing myself correctly so gonna try and do out a list of different splits to hit to make sure I'm on track.

With that in mind, does anyone whether distance markers are done out in km or miles?

Miles.

It's not a triathlon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Does anyone know how frequent the pacers will be / from what times?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

IIRC there are pacers for 1:30, 1:40, 1:50 and 2:00 next week. The exact answer is buried somewhere in the DCM 2014 Novices thread I think....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Miles.

It's not a triathlon ;)

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Hi Guys,
    This is my second HM to enter. I did the Clontarf HM earlier in the year, flat but 3k+3k of sand was a killer. I have completed the SPAR 10K race in the Park a few times with the killer hills x 2 at around 8-9Km's.

How does this HM compare to either of these events? It looks as if it starts out ok, fairly flat etc, are there any murderous hills in this one? I did 1:49 in the Clontarf HM but I was thinking of aiming for 1:50-1:55 as a build up to the DCM.

Any advice on the course, nasty hills in particular???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Antwerp

Hi,

Believe there is a long downhill just after the start - should I go fast here to bank time for later?

Also this will be furthest distance I ever ran, any tips on preparation for days left?. Managed to do 11 miles last wkd but would be too embarrassed to say how long that took :) and hoping to do 12 this wkd, as can't get out during the wk as busy with work.

Finally that long (and boring) road neatly killed me at Frank Duffy - believe its back for the Half and thus time it's twice as long - oh yippee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Antwerp wrote: »
    Hi,

Believe there is a long downhill just after the start - should I go fast here to bank time for later?

No, don't do that. You will likely get into a much faster rhythm than you need and end up running the first 3/4 miles too fast. You will likely blow your whole race as a result.
    The first few miles will be quite crowded as well so to run faster than those around you, you might have to do some dodging and weaving which will waste even more energy.

I'd advise to take the first few miles easy and don't panic even if they are below your target pace as the field will clear out soon enough. Preserve your energy for the tough miles at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

0/

I'm also in for this. This is only my second HM, did the Rock and Roll one this year in 2:00:01. I'm running with a friend for this, so doing it for enjoyment rather than knocking those few seconds off. I'm really looking forward to it.

Best of luck everyone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

General reminder for everyone to read the forum charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Antwerp

Thanks, Memoscemo will take that on board!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

I've been training for DCM - I haven't completed any races in a few years (longest being 5 mile).

I have to adjust my Marathon Programme as it has me doing a lot of miles this week and next week today - 5; fri - 5; Sat - 18, mon - 5; tues - 3; wed - 6; fri - 5; sat (HM Day) - 20

I'm thinking that I will do my 18 this Saturday but then next week I will do Mon - 4; Tues - 3; Wed - 2 and nothing until the HM?

Can anyone advise if this is sensible in their opinion?

Also how do people prepare outside of running training - I know I would probably prepare badly!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

I've been training for DCM - I haven't completed any races in a few years (longest being 5 mile).

I have to adjust my Marathon Programme as it has me doing a lot of miles this week and next week today - 5; fri - 5; Sat - 18, mon - 5; tues - 3; wed - 6; fri - 5; sat (HM Day) - 20

I'm thinking that I will do my 18 this Saturday but then next week I will do Mon - 4; Tues - 3; Wed - 2 and nothing until the HM?

Also how do people prepare outside of running training - I know I would probably prepare badly!

It depends on how you want to run the HM. If you're planning on going balls out then I would ease back on training next week but if you're treating it as a training run and perhaps running it at MP then stick with the schedule.
    Of course this all depends on how you're feeling also. If you're tired then ease back. The following week is probably more important as you don't want t overdo it and cause injury by not allowing enough recovery - only you can tell how your body is feeling - listen to it!
    That's my take on it but then again I ain't an expert:) Best of luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Outside of running training I would prepare by getting a decent sleep on the couple of nights before the race, get up early and have a decent breakfast (don't eat anything different to normal), hydrate well, wear comfortable cool clothes, get everything ready the night before including safety pins for your number! Bring a drink, jellies, a gel or whatever you would normally take on a long run. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Thanks Slow Runner.

I want to do as quick a time as possible - I haven't even entered the DCM yet so HM is my main focus.

I was thinking I will do HM see how I feel and if I feel good I'll do DCM. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Joleigh wrote: »
    Outside of running training I would prepare by getting a decent sleep on the couple of nights before the race, get up early and have a decent breakfast (don't eat anything different to normal), hydrate well, wear comfortable cool clothes, get everything ready the night before including safety pins for your number! Bring a drink, jellies, a gel or whatever you would normally take on a long run. Hope this helps!

Good advice here, carb up, sleep well the night before and hydrate the night before - the morning off is too late.
    Bonus points if you can sit on the toilet before the event (no joking)

Advertisement