Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Half marathon 20/9/14 *Mod note in 1st post*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Would anyone know what the dates for the Race Series 2015 are? I have a couple of friends who want to travel over for the Half, and let's just say, they like to plan early. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Casey78 wrote: »
    I'm doing my first Marathon in October, I mean is it to soon after that to be doing Clontarf?
    I've been doing a 18week program which will be over after Dublin in October.
    Just would like to do something before end of year to keep me from getting lazy again!

See how you feel after you've run the marathon, and then decide. No need to sign up beforehand. It won't be sold out 3/4 weeks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

nop98 wrote: »
    Would anyone know what the dates for the Race Series 2015 are? I have a couple of friends who want to travel over for the Half, and let's just say, they like to plan early. :)

The half is normally 5 weeks before the marathon, which is always on the October bank holiday. The race series dates won't be announced until the new year at least, so you could go off that if you're willing to take the gamble that it won't be any sooner/later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I'm doing my first Marathon in October, I mean is it to soon after that to be doing Clontarf?
    I've been doing a 18week program which will be over after Dublin in October.
    Just would like to do something before end of year to keep me from getting lazy again!
    Sorry I misread your post, I would wait until you have the marathon done! See how you feel afterwards, if a half is too much enter some short races like a 10k or even 5k. My first marathon was Dublin and I couldn't walk properly for a week afterwards, I also remember saying I would never run again but that didn't last long and 6 years later I am still running, doing less marathons but definitely running more than I did then. Best of luck in the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Rashers23

He was brilliant, was shouting "Come on the 1:50s" as we came past. He got a big wave&smile in return from me. I would guess he's a runner himself.

He is our coach, who would be running himself but is sidelined due to injury...reckon he may have missed his calling as a sergeant-major!!
    Himself and any other injured clubmate gave some fab support for everyone toughing it up those final hills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Does anyone remember two guys who started with the 1:40 group, one younger lad and a bald guy in an Airtricity top who ran behind and kept shouting in his ear. Bit serious for that level, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

Does anyone remember two guys who started with the 1:40 group, one younger lad and a bald guy in an Airtricity top who ran behind and kept shouting in his ear. Bit serious for that level, no?

Ahhh no. I was with that group for most of the run and to be honest the two lads had me in stitches. It was obvious that one of them had never done a half before (or any serious type of running) and the other was pushing him on with lots of encouragement. However the problem was that both of them had earphones and couldn't hear each other and ended up shouting at each other for most of the run. The poor lad hadn't a clue as to how many miles he was running and the other lad kept saying" just another 30 mins or 20 mins etc" but everyone within a hundred metres would have heard them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Was that what it was? It was funny, as I recall they were with the group up to the azoo or thereabouts, and then they either pushed on or fell back, I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Is there anywhere to get pictures of the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

http://www.racepix.com/dublin-half-marathon-/pictures/1167/

marathon photos will be on to you soon looking to sell photos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

That was me and Gavlor - he needs a bit of encouragement ;)

only joking......none of the pacers are bald

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Is anyone else a little confused by the rankings for this? Like the person ranked ahead of me took 4 minutes longer than I did. There are ones below me who done it quicker and so on.

I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Is it not just ranked on Gun time and not chip time?

Sorry I'm relatively new to this.

The time listed (in the Independent for example) is my chip time. So you mean that they are ranking it on first over the finish line, so that person could have been right at the start line and been off straight away, as opposed us further back who had to wait a while before getting through the start?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Haha! The were mad! I had to run on ahead to get away from them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

Smashing race, really well organised and marshaled. Water Stations were excellent too and fair play to the Scouts. Had a cracking morning and a nice run of 82:25.

First year doing the race series, some value for money, Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,626 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Jay D wrote: »
    Sorry I'm relatively new to this.

The time listed (in the Independent for example) is my chip time. So you mean that they are ranking it on first over the finish line, so that person could have been right at the start line and been off straight away, as opposed us further back who had to wait a while before getting through the start?
    Pretty much. You can look up all times here. This gives you chip and gun times, should clear it up for you

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Would it be wise to enter the Clontarf half in November after doing your first Marathon in October?
    I'm worried about coming to a stop after the marathon and falling back into being lazy and not training!

I wouldnt do a half marathon so soon after a full one. Trust me you'll need to give your body and mind time to recover fully. After the marathon there'll be coming down period, thats very normal, it happens after any big event. Let things work themselves out naturally, Dont fall into the trap of bouncing from race to race, that only leads to making bad decisions and you'll end up overcooked and more than likely injured. Take 2 weeks off after the marathon, then after that do some easy low mileage runs. I wouldnt race again until Christmas(or after).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

No one has mentioned being traumatised or how horrific this was? They are my key words to describe how I got on.
    I found the crowds too much and got kicked a few times. I did to others and apologised. I didn't think I would finish and the 1.50 pacers know how grateful I am even if I stopped on the hills.
    I learnt from this and am more positive about October, hopefully not dollusional.
    For once the tshirt fits and the crowd were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

aquinn wrote: »
    No one has mentioned being traumatised or how horrific this was? They are my key words to describe how I got on.
    I found the crowds too much and got kicked a few times. I did to others and apologised. I didn't think I would finish and the 1.50 pacers know how grateful I am even if I stopped on the hills.
    I learnt from this and am more positive about October, hopefully not dollusional.

It must have been really crowded near your pacers. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it. You still got a bp though didn't you? So not all bad. For oct find a comfortable pace that you will last at rather than a racing pace that will wear you out quickly.

• Advertisement

I was close to the 1:50 pacers too near the end but had started halfway between them and the 1:40s. My aim was 1:45 but I managed to get under 1:50 in the end thankfully. I wasn't mad on the shouting and cheering as they went along etc but it worked for my friend and to be honest I kind of got into it too and stretched away up the hill and onto the finish line.

Was that you who stopped and the lads around kept saying come on we're nearly there etc going up the hill shortly after coming in the Chapelizod gate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Yes, that was me.
    The pacers were brilliant, really great but I just couldn't handle the race at all. Head wasn't able. I did learn though that I'll be going with the 4 hour pacers and no quicker in October.

Yes, that was me.
    The pacers were brilliant, really great but I just couldn't handle the race at all. Head wasn't able. I did learn though that I'll be going with the 4 hour pacers and no quicker in October.

if you finished in 1.50 then 4 hours in the marathon will be a stretch
    and the 4 hour pace group is massive, will be much busier than the 1.50 group was on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

RayCun wrote: »
    and the 4 hour pace group is massive, will be much busier than the 1.50 group was on Saturday

That's good input. I'm in the same situation (1:49:31 on Saturday, hoping for sub-4hr) ... am waiting to see how this weekend's 21 miles goes, but am not ready to give up on the sub-4 dream just yet.

aquinn, maybe we should pool our resources on the 27th Oct and pace ourselves? It did sound though you appreciated the pacer-support a lot though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »

Surely that depends ray?
    Aquinn finished in 1:49:30, That gives her double her half time plus 21 minutes. I think it's a fair target especially as she is not a novice runner.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

4hrs sounds like a good target pace after a 1:50 half to me as well. You'll be going at best part of a minute a mile slower in the marathon and if you've got the miles under your belt should be about right.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Surely that depends ray?
    Aquinn finished in 1:49:30, That gives her double her half time plus 21 minutes. I think it's a fair target especially as she is not a novice runner.

You might know more about her training from the Novices thread? 4 hours is far from impossible, but could be very tight.
    And the 4 hour pace group is ginormous, as far as I know. It's something to consider if you found the 1.50 group crowded on the weekend.

compare the density at the very start of this video (just before the pacers) or towards the end, to the crowd around the pacers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

The 4hr group is big alright but the roads are a lot wider for the marathon than they were in places last saturday....I have paced 4hrs, 3:45 and 3;40 over the last 3 years and there would always be a bit more space compared to pacing 1:50 in the half.

That said you don't have to run in the middle of a pace group to use it; if they want they can start a little behind/ahead and keep position.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭digdeep

Would like to say fair play to all involved for an excellent morning. For €20 it was great value. I really enjoyed it. Took two and a half minutes off my pb. Will hopefully sign up for the full race series next year.

• Advertisement

Yes, that was me.

Ah I was right beside you then actually :D

I too am aiming for under 4 hours. I've been told by one not to be too set on that and to focus more on achieving the distance (which I am anyway) but still that's what I'm hoping for.

Advertisement