Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Half marathon 20/9/14 *Mod note in 1st post*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

menoscemo wrote: »
    No, don't do that. You will likely get into a much faster rhythm than you need and end up running the first 3/4 miles too fast. You will likely blow your whole race as a result.
    The first few miles will be quite crowded as well so to run faster than those around you, you might have to do some dodging and weaving which will waste even more energy.

I'd advise to take the first few miles easy and don't panic even if they are below your target pace as the field will clear out soon enough. Preserve your energy for the tough miles at the end.

Is that generally accepted at the best thing to do for this course? I would’ve thought putting the breaks on is counter productive? Given it’s a short ish race, why not bank some time on the easy parts of the course given there’s no way you’ll be maintaining your race pace on some sections, particularly the upper glen road.

You’ll gain an easy 15 seconds by simply letting gravity take hold on the Kyper road.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

DO NOT ASK FOR NUMBER TRANSFERS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    You’ll gain an easy 15 seconds by simply letting gravity take hold on the Kyper road.

Wouldn't be so sure of that. The Khyber is pretty narrow and you're likely to have plenty ahead of you starting from the wrong place. Trying to accelerate here is actually quite difficult and could involve a lot of zig-zagging.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be so sure of that. The Khyber is pretty narrow and you're likely to have plenty ahead of you starting from the wrong place. Trying to accelerate here is actually quite difficult and could involve a lot of zig-zagging.

Not necessarily accelerating but just letting the hill do the work. Use the course to your advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Not necessarily accelerating but just letting the hill do the work. Use the course to your advantage.

I know what you mean and I agree, but chances are you'll be zig-zagging just to avoid slowing down if last year is anything to go by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 RunningFree 2014

Very silly question here I'd imagine but how are the pacers recognisable on the day? I am considering following the 2hr pacer but have never been in a race with pacers before. Will they be wearing special t-shirts or bibs or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Very silly question here I'd imagine but how are the pacers recognisable on the day? I am considering following the 2hr pacer but have never been in a race with pacers before. Will they be wearing special t-shirts or bibs or something?

they'll be carrying flags attached to backpacks, like these ones
    dublin-city-marathon-500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

I see they have High 5 gels on the day - I've never used them before but I bought a pack of 20 today - I should probably use them on a couple of runs before Saturday week so I know what its like?

I see they have High 5 gels on the day - I've never used them before but I bought a pack of 20 today - I should probably use them on a couple of runs before Saturday week so I know what its like?

If you're planning to take them on the day, practice using them beforehand

RayCun wrote: »
    If you're planning to take them on the day, practice using them beforehand

Would it be unwise to try one mid 5 mile run?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

It wont do any harm. At least you'll know how they sit in your stomach! Bring some water to wash it down.

better practice to try one on a longer run

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I don't think they will be giving out gels during the half. To be honest I don't think there is any real need for them either.

For the full marathon they will have gel stations at mile 16 and 21, but I would be carrying my own gels anyway rather than relying on the ones on course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

We're also very good looking but there's big flags and backpacks too :D:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Is that generally accepted at the best thing to do for this course? I would’ve thought putting the breaks on is counter productive? Given it’s a short ish race, why not bank some time on the easy parts of the course given there’s no way you’ll be maintaining your race pace on some sections, particularly the upper glen road.

Shortish for you maybe.
    My reply was directed to someone who stated they have never ran more than 11 miles before and will probably be starting back down the field where it is very crowded.
    Obviously different advice might apply to different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭YESROH

thanks for all the advice, this will be my first half. Roughly how many will be running it. Up to 10 miles should I do another long run this weekend or should I do more hill training. Don't like hills !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

chinguetti wrote: »
    We're also very good looking but there's big flags and backpacks too :D:)

Yup, we're wearing nothing else but a flag and a backpack!

I'm pacing the 1.40. I'm tall, dark, 60ish and answer to the name of Dom.

Make sure you stay on my shoulder and don't bother talking to the other two pacers.

(My favourite topic is the implosion of liverpool at the end of last season)

Can't wait to see you all!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Gavlor wrote:

It was not an implosion, we paced it wrong...!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

Gavlor wrote: »

Atletico got 2 points from their last 3 league games but they were champions,no one will say they imploded.
    Liverpool got 4 points (should've been 6) from their last 3 games and 37 points from their last 14 league games but yeah,they imploded.:)

• Advertisement

ooter wrote: »
    Atletico got 2 points from their last 3 league games but they were champions,no one will say they imploded.
    Liverpool got 4 points (should've been 6) from their last 3 games and 37 points from their last 14 league games but yeah,they imploded.:)

Shoulda, woulda, coulda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Try embedding the photos, like this-

alan_p15.jpg

:D

ooh, embedding

$(KGrHqEOKj0E21lkU8oVBN1-LQ)pVw~~_35.JPG

...so close!

Took my High5 Energy gel last night on 5 mile run at 3 mile just to see. I pushed myself hard for first three miles to see if it would lift me and I don't whether this was just in my head but it seemed to have an immediate effect and helped me achieve my fastest 5 mile time in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

RayCun wrote: »

...so close!

Ah now Ray, Man U- Seriously? keep your head down for a while:pac:

menoscemo wrote: »
    Shortish for you maybe.
    My reply was directed to someone who stated they have never ran more than 11 miles before and will probably be starting back down the field where it is very crowded.
    Obviously different advice might apply to different people.

Was a genuine question, I'm fairly green when it comes to road racing. I suppose maintaining same pace on a downhill may also save the legs for later in the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Been running the route the last few weeks to get used to it.
    That Conyngnham/Chapelizod Road stretch is worse then any of the hills. Brings me to the brink of loopy everytime!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Gavlor wrote: »

Was debating wether to go with the 1:40 pace group - thats made my mind up, I'm in!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Been running the route the last few weeks to get used to it.
    That Conyngnham/Chapelizod Road stretch is worse then any of the hills. Brings me to the brink of loopy everytime!

I'd agree with that, did the Wellington Rd to Chapelizod Gate Lodge bit the other evening and it feels like an eternity.
    For some reason I had it in my head that the Military Rd with the bends was a short distance(turns out it's about 1.25m gate to gate inside the park), perception is a funny thing.

• Advertisement

Looking at the profile of the course you have approx. 1.6 mile uphill to the finish?
    And a constant climb from 1.5 mile to approx. 4 mile?

PS I was wondering - I will be there on my own with the car - Is there anywhere safe to leave car keys?

Advertisement