Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Half marathon 20/9/14 *Mod note in 1st post*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

PS I was wondering - I will be there on my own with the car - Is there anywhere safe to leave car keys?

There is a bag drop. Your number comes with a tear-off number that you attach to your bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

RayCun wrote: »
    There is a bag drop. Your number comes with a tear-off number that you attach to your bag.

And they would be safe enough there?

And they would be safe enough there?

yeah, it's a tent, you hand your bag over at the entrance and collect it from the entrance after the race. There are people keeping an eye on it while the race is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 VAGABOND7

Planning to the Dublin Half and just wanted to here from anyone who has a tried and trusted taper that they could recommend for next week leading up to the race on Saturday?

Training hasnt been perfect but this one has been in the diary from a few months back as a marquee race and a PB attempt....not planning on doing the full this year so no need to worry about keeping my milage up. Any tips would be appreciated ?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 22 VAGABOND7

Planning to run the Dublin Half and just wanted to here from anyone who has a tried and trusted taper that they could recommend for next week leading up to the race on Saturday?

Training hasnt been perfect but this one has been in the diary from a few months back as a marquee race and a PB attempt....not planning on doing the full this year so no need to worry about keeping my milage up. Any tips would be appreciated ?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Gavlor wrote: »
    I'm pacing the 1.40. I'm tall, dark, 60ish and answer to the name of Dom.

Make sure you stay on my shoulder and don't bother talking to the other two pacers.

(My favourite topic is the implosion of liverpool at the end of last season)

Can't wait to see you all!!

What km pace will ye be running at get the 1:40? constant pace or banking before Mile 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

stmochtas wrote: »
    What km pace will ye be running at get the 1:40? constant pace or banking before Mile 10?

No Lycra or bikes allowed on this one.
    7:35 pace even pace, will bank a buffer on the easy miles 9 + 10 both which are net downhill, so we can ease off a little on the Glen Rd.

BTW I'm the smelly scruffy one that says alright boy a lot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Make sure you stay on my shoulder and don't bother talking to the other two pacers.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    No Lycra or bikes allowed on this one.
    7:35 pace even pace, will bank a buffer on the easy miles 9 + 10 both which are net downhill, so we can ease off a little on the Glen Rd.

BTW I'm the smelly scruffy one that says alright boy a lot :D

I am the other one who is just along for the ride;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Are the 1.30 pacers of this parish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Wounded knee, Dublin runner and a non boardsie - frank Quinlan

Last long run today ahead of this race. Can't believe I'm actually going through with it. Never thought I'd see the day :o

Went into the park and had a look at the route last week and just ran 8 miles of it. It's not too bad really, apart from the end that is - the hard part like! The last 6km of today's run was uphill so hopefully I'm in some way prepared but I guess only time will tell.

I'll be way behind most of ye but feck it, I'll get it done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Looks like I'll make it to the start line at least :rolleyes:

Got the last long run in yesterday, about 15 miles in total from my house to the 12th Lock and from there along the canal to North Strand and back. Kept it gentle enough, the only time I had any real issues was on the steep little downhills around the M50 which caused the IT band to act up (again!!) A few days rest this week should hopefully have me in reasonable shape come Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Can't decide whether to follow the 2hr pacer - should be able for that or the 1hr 50 pacer - I'm scared if I do that I could blow up!!!

Any advice?

follow the 2 hour pacer for the first half, increase the pace gradually through the second half

• Registered Users Posts: 11 aimie85

Hi all,
    I'm so excited for this it's my first half. I reckon I can do it in 2:20 easily, would love to do it in under the 2 hour mark. As it's my first I just want to enjoy it and not put pressure on myself.
    I've read here that the last 4k are the hardest with hills and that?
    Would love feedback or advice
    Thanks guys
    Aims

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What sort of numbers will enter this?

aimie85 wrote: »
    I've read here that the last 4k are the hardest with hills and that?

Yes, the last k is flat, but before that you have about 2k uphill. It's not super steep or long, but it will be hard just because it is so late in the race
    walshb wrote: »
    What sort of numbers will enter this?

4 or 5 thousand

My friends got their numbers the other day and they're in the high 5 thousands!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

My number is in the 7000's.
    I read somewhere that they reached capacity at 8000 entries.

• Advertisement

5400 finishers last year, 6300 the year before

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Definitely sold out at 8000 entrants according to the dublin marathon Facebook page.

RayCun wrote: »
    Yes, the last k is flat, but before that you have about 2k uphill. It's not super steep or long, but it will be hard just because it is so late in the race

4 or 5 thousand

Thanks Ray, I've been using raisins and dates for my race fuel in training and plan on doing the same on the day. Haven't used lucozade sport either so will just use my water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Hi Dom, will you be attempting negative splits or even pace (hope it's the first!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Hi Dom, will you be attempting negative splits or even pace (hope it's the first!)

Even pace all the way.

Tho that sexy hunk from waterford might distract me with his awsomeness ;)

Thanks. Are any of the pacers running negative splits? I was thinking of starting with a 7.50 pace and working down to 7.25 from miles 8-11 then because of the hill from Chapelizod gate probably a 7.30 and 7.40 pace for the last two miles. Any takers? I won't have a Garmin/gps, just a stopwatch. Alternatively would you recommend starting with the 1.50 group and working my way up? I really think I can get close to 1.40 or even break it but starting too slow may jeopardise that. On the other hand, starting too 'fast' will too! Help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Thanks. Are any of the pacers running negative splits? I was thinking of starting with a 7.50 pace and working down to 7.25 from miles 8-11 then because of the hill from Chapelizod gate probably a 7.30 and 7.40 pace for the last two miles. Any takers? I won't have a Garmin/gps, just a stopwatch. Alternatively would you recommend starting with the 1.50 group and working my way up? I really think I can get close to 1.40 or even break it but starting too slow may jeopardise that. On the other hand, starting too 'fast' will too! Help!

The pacers will run an evenly paced race.

If you start out with the 1.50 pacers it will be very difficult to get to close to 1.40. Why not print off a pace band (1.45 for example), go off at that pace and see how you feel.

Thanks, will probably do that and reel you guys in ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 RunningFree 2014

Thanks to those who answered my pacers question! Getting very nervous now as I am very under the weather the past ten days and skipped my long run on Sat as I knew I was too sick to do it. My plan now is a few miles tonight and tmw night and then two days of rest and just hope I'm back to full health on Sat for the race. I'll take it nice and slow and probably won't even try to keep up with the two hour pacers as I just want to be sure of getting to that finish line!

• Advertisement

Thanks to those who answered my pacers question! Getting very nervous now as I am very under the weather the past ten days and skipped my long run on Sat as I knew I was too sick to do it. My plan now is a few miles tonight and tmw night and then two days of rest and just hope I'm back to full health on Sat for the race. I'll take it nice and slow and probably won't even try to keep up with the two hour pacers as I just want to be sure of getting to that finish line!

Exactly, hopefully youll be well on the day and enjoy it as best you can. No pressure! Hoping the sun won't be beating down, the heat kills me :)

Advertisement