Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Half marathon 20/9/14 *Mod note in 1st post*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Thanks to those who answered my pacers question! Getting very nervous now as I am very under the weather the past ten days and skipped my long run on Sat as I knew I was too sick to do it. My plan now is a few miles tonight and tmw night and then two days of rest and just hope I'm back to full health on Sat for the race. I'll take it nice and slow and probably won't even try to keep up with the two hour pacers as I just want to be sure of getting to that finish line!

Best of luck with the plan, you were right to skip a long run if you were feeling a bit dodgy. Get plenty of rest 2 days before hand and take lots of fluids on board before the race day and you will be fine. Start out at a steady pace and settle in to the first 3-4 miles and see how you feel before setting a firm time in your mind and you will enjoy it.
    Best of luck :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Does anyone know if you can register anywhere now? I'm registered myself but my friend wants to do it as well and the airtricity sign up is closed, so was hoping on the day or something but given tags etc prob not. Anyone know?

Jay D wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can register anywhere now? I'm registered myself but my friend wants to do it as well and the airtricity sign up is closed, so was hoping on the day or something but given tags etc prob not. Anyone know?

Unfortunately not, they're pretty strict. It was actually sold out before the registration closed date, they added a few more places but they've sold out too.

Ok thanks for the info. Didn't think these things actually 'sold out', do you know how many places were sold?

Jay D wrote: »
    Ok thanks for the info. Didn't think these things actually 'sold out', do you know how many places were sold?

I think 8,000 was mentioned earlier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

What's parking generally like at the half?
    I'm imagining it being a nightmare.

frash wrote: »

I'm a half marathon virgin so no idea I'm afraid. Can't imagine it's ample though!!. I didn't drive to the other races in the park, just got the shuttle bus up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

frash wrote: »

I parked inside the park last year. No problem at all. Just arrive an hour or more before the start. Plenty of parking outside the walls too around Hole in Wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

There should be no problem parking inside the park before the race. The problem will be getting back out...

Wow! I kind of liked being able to finish in the top 1,000!! Don't think that's going to happen this time :P

As for parking I'd agree with the above, easy enough to park but getting out would be a problem I anticipate. I'll probably park at SQ Ashtown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 nodgie86

Quick question, when you enter back into the park at the chapelizod gate is that before or after the 11 mile mark?? Cheers

nodgie86 wrote: »
    Quick question, when you enter back into the park at the chapelizod gate is that before or after the 11 mile mark?? Cheers

After, it's at around 11.7 miles.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, less than 1.5 miles once you get back into the park, same as the 10 mile route from what I can see.

But...but....that's after 11 miles. Isn't it? :o

I stand corrected, I was looking at the wrong gate (further down Conyngham Rd) :(

Lads I've a question.

I've been following the Hal Higdon Novice 2 programme (with one or two hiccups!) and I'm due to do just 2 miles tonight and tomorrow but my legs are really really tired and heavy. Should I just go for a walk instead maybe tonight? I really don't want to feck myself up for Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Lads I've a question.

I've been following the Hal Higdon Novice 2 programme (with one or two hiccups!) and I'm due to do just 2 miles tonight and tomorrow but my legs are really really tired and heavy. Should I just go for a walk instead maybe tonight? I really don't want to feck myself up for Saturday.

At this stage your fitness won't change greatly.
    A gentle 30min walk will be better than doing nothing as it helps with recovery, play it by ear tomorrow then.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There seems to be some difficulty with understanding a simple concept, so I've added a note to post 1.

Read post one before posting on this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92108155&postcount=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Heading up to this from Limerick and wondering what's the best way to get to the start? Drive in and park somewhere (where?!) or get the luas from the red cow to heuston and walk?!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Pacifico wrote: »
    Heading up to this from Limerick and wondering what's the best way to get to the start? Drive in and park somewhere (where?!) or get the luas from the red cow to heuston and walk?!!

there's a bus that runs from opposite the park entrance to (near the) start, and out again afterwards. Traffic leaving the park is always mental though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Thanks, so park and ride from the red cow would be the way to go?!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Pacifico wrote: »
    Thanks, so park and ride from the red cow would be the way to go?!

it's my plan, at any rate
    I got a lift in and out of the 10 mile and it was grand because the traffic was someone else's problem :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

Shuttle bus service runs from Parkgate Street, just around the corner from Heuston Luas stop. Was very effective for the FD 10 mile

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭krafty

The goddamm weather stays dry in Dublin for three weeks, but the forecast (by the norwegians) is for it to break with heavy showers on the morning of the half marathon. Could it not just hold out one more day?

krafty wrote: »
    The goddamm weather stays dry in Dublin for three weeks, but the forecast (by the norwegians) is for it to break with heavy showers on the morning of the half marathon. Could it not just hold out one more day?

Sounds perfect :P

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Is there a list of pacers for this, it would be nice to put faces to usernames if the pacers are from boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

I was thinking of parking in hueston at getting the shuttle bus up,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

+1 whoopsadaisydoodles, heat definitely affects me a lot more than rain when I'm racing. If temperatures drop a bit further on Saturday morning then all the better, one less problem to deal with :)

• Advertisement

The sun will come out as I'm going up that last feckin uphill stretch!

Ye'll be all showered and home having your lunch :P

Advertisement