Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Half marathon 20/9/14 *Mod note in 1st post*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

krafty wrote: »
    The goddamm weather stays dry in Dublin for three weeks, but the forecast (by the norwegians) is for it to break with heavy showers on the morning of the half marathon. Could it not just hold out one more day?

Sounds good to me,it was very warm last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Antwerp

Hi all,

Hoping your training is going well, mine has gone far bad to worse, so much so was thinking of pulling out but think now Ill chance it and if it takes me longer to complete so be it - does anyone when HM actually closes as I've images of myself still there hours later :(

On the weather front, Does anyone recall huge shower at Irish runner 5 mile, like a monsoon when I was leaving Ph. park?

Was hoping it would be a nice fresh morning but it's look like it will be cloudy with ave temp 15 but wait for it..... Very humid .....yikes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 aimie85

Antwerp wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hoping your training is going well, mine has gone far bad to worse, so much so was thinking of pulling out but think now Ill chance it and if it takes me longer to complete so be it - does anyone when HM actually closes as I've images of myself still there hours later :(

On the weather front, Does anyone recall huge shower at Irish runner 5 mile, like a monsoon when I was leaving Ph. park?

Was hoping it would be a nice fresh morning but it's look like it will be cloudy with ave temp 15 but wait for it..... Very humid .....yikes!!!

Fup it not humid :(:(
    Best of luck on the day, don't worry about the time , enjoy yourself

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Pretty heavy rain after the 5 mile alright. I remember tryin to get my bag out of the bag drop area and not being hugely happy about the intense rain !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

adrian522 wrote: »
    Pretty heavy rain after the 5 mile alright. I remember tryin to get my bag out of the bag drop area and not being hugely happy about the intense rain !

That was deadly! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Antwerp

Thanks, just wished I'd actually followed the plan but after 10 mile I've been very busy with work and school etc etc but sur will give it a go, probably still be there on Sunday :)

Yeah, looks humidity could be a big issue as opposed to rain but sur who knows if we had thunder tomorrow it would cure the humidity issue

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Everything was going so well - then I went out last night and drank beer! FML I'd say I drank about 8 bottles - I'm thinking 2 mins per bottle off my time! Ah well

Antwerp wrote: »

I think myself and Senor Fancy Pants there were the only two people not hiding under the trees for that!

I do love me a good drop of rain at the end of a run!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

What do you guys eat in the morning of the race and at what time?

Porridge around 2-2.5 hours before along with a dioralyte!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

same as before a long run - do what works for you, not what works for someone else

(for me that's a regular breakfast - boiled eggs, muesli, orange juice. Travel time means it will be a couple of hours before the race, I'll drink some lucozade sport on the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Best of luck to everyone. It's great race.

(P.s I am the tall one pacing the 1.30 group so say hello or well, avoid! :))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Does anyone know if we will be running on the paths up to Castleknock Gate again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Everything was going so well - then I went out last night and drank beer! FML I'd say I drank about 8 bottles - I'm thinking 2 mins per bottle off my time! Ah well

That's my style of preparation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jlang

Does anyone know if we will be running on the paths up to Castleknock Gate again?
    Looks like it. Up the path and back down the road as for the 10 miler but turn right at the first roundabout and back out through Farmleigh, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Of course, as per map. I thought it might change due to the extra numbers due to run tomorrow. It can be very hard to get through traffic on the narrow paths. But sure isn't it great that we're able to do these things at all? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

Of course, as per map. I thought it might change due to the extra numbers due to run tomorrow. It can be very hard to get through traffic on the narrow paths. But sure isn't it great that we're able to do these things at all? :)

Yes its great but it seemed odd during the 10 mile, especially on the way down to be using the "walking" path and cycling path and road empty...

Either way, really looking forward to tomorrow, lost 2 weeks training due to sore foot but all grand now. Did 19K of the route last Saturday morning at a handy pace, so I know I can almost go the distance, just need to squeeze a couple more K from somehere....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

http://track.rtrt.me/e/TDL-DUBLINHALF-2014

The above link is for tracking athletes in real time.

I'm not sure how many checkpoints there are though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

I'm a messer for that stuff. Most of the time I won't eat anything. Sometimes il have a caffeine tablet or something. Il suffer because of it but that's what drives me forward. I perform better while running on fumes. It's purely an individual thing, so yeah, do what works for you.

Although, this time someone is making me porridge before it. It better be yummy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Gavlor wrote: »
    That's my style of preparation!

Had a bottle of lovely red wine with Spag Bol last Saturday evening, went for a long run on Sunday felt great until 17K then I turned into a Bouncy Castle when the power is turned off, everything slowly ground to a halt!!

On the non alcoholic beer since :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:....looking forward to running this tomorrow and not having to worry about the legs capsizing!!

See you all there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭D33

Sorry for the slight tangent folks but does anyone know if there's an area to leave a bike if you cycle over to the Park? (fully locked etc)

D33 wrote: »
    Sorry for the slight tangent folks but does anyone know if there's an area to leave a bike if you cycle over to the Park? (fully locked etc)

there's no bike locking area, but there's a fair few locked to the railings around trees

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

D33 wrote: »

There are bike stands at Heuston Station (Front of the Station and in the car park). I think that there are ones also near the new Courthouse. Bring a cheap bike and an expensive lock!! :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,626 ✭✭✭✭28064212

http://track.rtrt.me/e/TDL-DUBLINHALF-2014

The above link is for tracking athletes in real time.

I'm not sure how many checkpoints there are though.
    Based on previous Race Series, none. Or more accurately, two, start and finish. None during the race

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Well that's not very good is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

28064212 wrote: »
    Based on previous Race Series, none. Or more accurately, two, start and finish. None during the race

There was a timing mat at 5 miles in the Frank Duffy 10 mile race, but we didn't get a split time in the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

RayCun wrote: »
    there's no bike locking area, but there's a fair few locked to the railings around trees

You will be fine doing this - I do it twice a week in the park and no issues with a half decent bike!

Well that's not very good is it?

more checkpoints in the marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,626 ✭✭✭✭28064212

There was a timing mat at 5 miles in the Frank Duffy 10 mile race, but we didn't get a split time in the results.
    That was the starting timing mat that hadn't been picked up yet. It was coincidence that it was near the 5 mile mark as well.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

28064212 wrote: »
    That was the starting timing mat that hadn't been picked up yet. It was coincidence that it was near the 5 mile mark as well.

ahh, good call, I didn't cop that one.

Advertisement